The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Osorio67

Lowering

Im wanting to lower my 67 fleetside i was wondering if anybody knew how to do it without it costing me alot
Osorio67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Re: Lowering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osorio67 View Post
Im wanting to lower my 67 fleetside i was wondering if anybody knew how to do it without it costing me alot
Define "alot". You can cut coils for pert near free, but end up with a horrible and downright dangerous ride. For about $500 bucks you can simply swap to lower springs and shocks. Or you can step up to airbags for about $1200 for a basic kit. Beyond that things start getting real expensive, real fast.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Osorio67

how dangerous is that
Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
epashhans

There are a lot of people on here that are willing to help and full of knowledge, but you need to give everyone some specifics. How low do you want to go? What kind of budget are you looking at? Is it coils all the way around or do you have leafs in the back? Do you have tools and the know how to tackle this yourself or will you have to hire someone?

Like Dingfodgy said, there are right and wrong ways and safe and dangerous ways. If you search around on the board you will see everything from both extremes. If you plan on having your truck for awhile and driving it a lot, try to do it right the first time or you will more than likely end up re-doing it down the road.

A 2 inch front/4 inch rear or 3 inch front/5 inch rear drop is pretty easy to achieve for not a lot of money. Thats with a static drop, no air. And there are many ways to achieve it. An example of the cheapest 2/4 drop would be to take out the front coils and cut (not torch) some of them off. How much really depends on how old/saggy your front springs are. And then for the rear simply get some jeep coil springs from a scrap yard and you will get 4 inch drop...or so, depending on how worn out they are. So in the end you would have your time to take out and cut the front ones and I have hear lots of guys say you can get jeep springs for $20 to $50. Heck, if you looked and asked around you might be able to find a free set. Thats a cheap drop.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
epashhans

By the way, I don't really condone cutting springs, but lots of guys do it and have had luck. I have a 3/5 drop with drop springs, sway bars and drop shocks. Rides WAY better and handles way better than the torched rear and cut front springs that were in the truck when I bought it. It is WELL worth the money to buy drop springs.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
cdowns

i think it's pretty stupid to go thru the effort of a cheapee cheapo lowering effort when you put the thing back together with parts that have 40years of wear stuff like balljoints tyrod ends control arm bushings pitman arm idler arm trailing arm bushings when they are in like new condition give you a far better and safer ride//another neglected area of thhe el cheapo is the panhard bar need for adjustment and shock relocators for proper shock respomce
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 05-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
robzilla

is there a set of spring that could be used in the front? lots of guys talk about jeep ones for the rear, is there a make/style that would work for the front, without cutting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epashhans View Post
There are a lot of people on here that are willing to help and full of knowledge, but you need to give everyone some specifics. How low do you want to go? What kind of budget are you looking at? Is it coils all the way around or do you have leafs in the back? Do you have tools and the know how to tackle this yourself or will you have to hire someone?

Like Dingfodgy said, there are right and wrong ways and safe and dangerous ways. If you search around on the board you will see everything from both extremes. If you plan on having your truck for awhile and driving it a lot, try to do it right the first time or you will more than likely end up re-doing it down the road.

A 2 inch front/4 inch rear or 3 inch front/5 inch rear drop is pretty easy to achieve for not a lot of money. Thats with a static drop, no air. And there are many ways to achieve it. An example of the cheapest 2/4 drop would be to take out the front coils and cut (not torch) some of them off. How much really depends on how old/saggy your front springs are. And then for the rear simply get some jeep coil springs from a scrap yard and you will get 4 inch drop...or so, depending on how worn out they are. So in the end you would have your time to take out and cut the front ones and I have hear lots of guys say you can get jeep springs for $20 to $50. Heck, if you looked and asked around you might be able to find a free set. Thats a cheap drop.
robzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Osorio67

I have leafsprings in the rear and i have been told around town the easiest way to do it is to just take out a few leafs and cut the front coils but i wasn't sure how well that would work
Old 05-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #9
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

Wow!

Leafsprings on a '67!!!??
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
leddzepp

Take a few leafs out, it will both lower the truck and improve your ride. Just don't plan on hauling a whole lot. Cutting 1 coil out of your front springs will get you about 2" lower in the front. That's the cheapest, safest way to lower it.

As cdowns stated above you should really consider rebuilding the entire front end, it will be apart and that would be the perfect time to do it all at once. The 2 most important things on any vehicle are brakes and steering. You will more than likely tear up the tie rod ends and ball joints when you go to lower the truck anyways (if they are 40 yrs old)

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by leddzepp; 05-20-2010 at 08:52 PM.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #11
Osorio67

My 67 gmc has leaf and coil shocks on the rear but i just wanna drop maybe an inch or two