The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
garage C20

it's amazing what some timing can do ... ignition timing that is.

i was up late one night checking out some videos on dyno runs on YOUTUBE and came up on one guy who was showing how his shop sets the ignition timing and setting the the idle on a edelbrock carb on a Chevy (link posted below). i thought i had mine set just fine but i was wrong. i normally just set the initial timing at idle with the vacuum disconnected. i set it at 12 deg and lock it down. i never thought to check the timing at 3000-3500 rpm. well... i did that this morning and was it WAY off. i was only getting around 20- 22 deg of total timing.. to say that this motor was a dog is an understatement. i thought the motor was tired and was in need of a rebuild. so, i advanced the total timing to 33 deg advanced (vacuum disconnected). now i can run down the freeway with more than enough power and very little throttle. i can spin my 33's at the stoplight and even bark them in second. (kind of hard with my hard to shift man tranny). i connected the vacuum to the ported vacuum side of the carb and this truck has never run better. i hope this little tip can help someone else.

'79 C20. Fabtech 3in lift springs in front flipped upper balljoints with spacers (rancho shocks), single 3 in. exhaust (Flowmaster) Edlebrock 1406 carb (600cfm), Edlebrock eps performer manfold, MSD 6a ignition, Empi euro headlight conversion w/Hella 90w/130w H4 bulbs, Hella 500's w/HIDs (all on relays), 20 wheels wrapped in 33in tires.
soon: , 2in blocks and air bags in the rear, headers, dual exhaust, cam/lifters.
garage C20 is offline   Reply With Quote