The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
pat386
misshape grape

proper rear spring perch placement on a shortbed?

the previous to previous owner moved the perch up, and now we're thinking back as well?

does anybody have pictures of a non modified, or frame dimensions from perch to back of frame? thanks!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
pat386
misshape grape

Re: proper rear spring perch placement on a shortbed?

we think it was not only moved up, but back as well. new aftermarket replacement leaf springs are shorter. the perch is too close to back of fram on a 83 c10 swb, right?

correct location should be where the further forward holes are where there is currently a zip tie

Last edited by pat386; 05-21-2010 at 10:38 PM.
pat386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Looks factory to me. There were two different spring sizes, with the heavier duty one being the longer one, thus having your rear spring hanger further back on the frame. I am assuming your original springs were a 7-8 spring pack?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
pat386
misshape grape

Thanks for the reply. I have photos of when the guy did a restoration of it in 93 or so, and the pics show different leaf mounts on the frame during rebuild, to today. the truck has an RPO code of 1g51, being G51 - Rear Extra Capacity Springs, and another site lists it as G51 : SPRING REAR, HEAVY DUTY, VAR 2. So I am stuck now...I can't tell if these mounts are for heavy duty, or non heavy duty. measuring my leafs on the truck from center of hole straight across to center of hole it is roughly 53.5". The aftermarket 'non heavy duty' springs are 49" measured the same way.

I guess it is off to the junkyard tomorrow to find a heavy duty leaf spring pack. thanks for the reply! just trying to level the truck out with a flip kit in the rear, and it's just a tad bit bigger of a dilema than i thought!!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:16 AM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Those are for HD leafs. The hangers are the same part number no matter what spring you have, it is just the location that changes based on the spring the truck has.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #6
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat386 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I have photos of when the guy did a restoration of it in 93 or so, and the pics show different leaf mounts on the frame during rebuild, to today. the truck has an RPO code of 1g51, being G51 - Rear Extra Capacity Springs, and another site lists it as G51 : SPRING REAR, HEAVY DUTY, VAR 2. So I am stuck now...I can't tell if these mounts are for heavy duty, or non heavy duty. measuring my leafs on the truck from center of hole straight across to center of hole it is roughly 53.5". The aftermarket 'non heavy duty' springs are 49" measured the same way.

I guess it is off to the junkyard tomorrow to find a heavy duty leaf spring pack. thanks for the reply! just trying to level the truck out with a flip kit in the rear, and it's just a tad bit bigger of a dilema than i thought!!
Pat id give you a set of the long one if you wasnt on the wrong side of the world..