The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2003, 02:57 PM   #1
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Using Heat Shrink

So, it's a slow day, eh?

Well here's one. I picked up some heat shrink tubing on sale at a local surplus store yesterday. Never used it before.

Does anyone out there use this stuff on their electrical connections. If so, how is it actually "shrunk"? What kinda heat is required?

Zilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:00 PM   #2
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

I always use it. It s better than electrical tape. Just slide it over one wire then solder the wires together. usually a heat gun is best for shrinking, but a lighter will work too. Just be sure not to hold the flame in one place too long.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:05 PM   #3
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks Kyle,

So does it work to cover up "crimped" connections as well. Would give it a nice finished look and maybe help keep moisture out???

Old 02-13-2003, 03:09 PM   #4
J-Spec C10
Whats this wire for?....

The prob with crimp connections is that the shrink tube required to fit over the crimp wont shrink enuogh to fit the wire. Heat shrink usually only shrinks approx 30% then it splits.

'82 C10 Resto-Custom--> * 2 1/4" manifold back dual exhaust with Hooker Aerochambers & High Flow Cats *Taylor Ignition Wires *Centerline 15" Telstars with 32"x10" mudders
J-Spec C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 03:19 PM   #5
Zilverado
Account Suspended

Thanks again man. That's kinda what I figured, but I just thought I'd ask. I really should do more soldered connections, but crimping is so much quicker...

Old 02-13-2003, 04:16 PM   #6
Blue Beard

Heat Shrink tubing, depending on the wall thickness can be applied with anything from a match to a industrial heat gun.....

I've even used a hair dryer set on high for thin wall tubing......

I have used heavy wall tubing over butt connectors without problems.....

If nothing else take the extra time....splice the wires......then solder....and heat shrink.....haven't had any problems..........
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
BigRed

I've used a heat gun or a hair dryer. Both work great on heat shrink and won't melt the crap out of it.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:23 PM   #8
SCOTI

I use it on solderless connectors by removing the plastic outer shell w/a razor knife & then crimp the wires (remember to put the heat shrink on first). I've used a lighter & matches but what works best for me is a small propane cigar lighter because they are small enough to manuver around & easier to get in tight places (work pretty decent upside down as well).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:31 PM   #9
PHOENIX

Since I dont have a heat gun (gonna buy one soon) I use a small torch. I get it lit then at a slow pace I "brush" the flame back and forth across the shrink tube. This works very well, but be careful if you burn the tubing and it rips, your in trouble. You may need to cut the wire again to get more shrink tube on there. I also use this same little torch for soldering. I heat the wire a little bit, then heat the solder while its touching the wire. This works very well also, except it takes alot of practice to get a clean consistant solder. This method causes globs of solder, if not done just right. The reason I do this is because I have always had bad luck with soldering guns. I have gotten pretty good at the torch method.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:47 PM   #10
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Man, I never even knew about using heat shrink on connections! Can you get it at car stores?
I need to do a lot of clean up to my bed wiring. The first time I pulled the bed to install my flip kit, I got everything (so I thought) undone. Me and one other buddy went to pick it up and it only went so far. I saw the wiring bundle between the bed and the frame. For some reason, instead of setting the bed down to look, I grabbed a nearby knife and cut it in half. That will be another good project to do while I've got the bed off for my tank install.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #11
PHOENIX

Greg, yeah you can get it at automotive stores, but their prices are usually high. Go to Fry's Electronics or somewhere like that. Their prices are better, you buy it buy the foot, cut your own length, much better. Also if possible always buy the kind with glue inside. The glue melts and seals the connections very very well, not a bit of water could get through the glue kind. You might have to buy this kinda at the dealership. My dad works for Dodge and they give him the glue type to fix warranty repairs. He has a heat gun there, but he chooses to use his lighter