The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
Cervantes

How to do a dual-tank conversion?

Hi!
I have an 87 C20, crew cab, long box, old government vehicle.

I've been trolling the graveyards for parts for it, and noticed a few of the 80's trucks of this type (Suburban, and a couple half tons) that have a dual tank setup that appears factory. I'm a fan of dual tanks, and would like to pull them out and fit them in my truck. I just have one important question...

How?

It's mostly that I can't spend all day under there pulling parts... I'll have to get them to lift it up or flip it over, and go digging quickly. So what parts do I need to get it going, and where are they located? I know there's the cab switch, and my understanding is that connects to a diverter under the bed where the two tanks join, and apart from that I'd need the second tank, any mount brackets I can remove, the diverter and fill pipe, and then dig up a second fuel gauge. Does that sound right?

Also, since I haven't had a chance to look yet (clutch went and it's still at the shop), can I safely assume that there's at least space on the right side for a second tank, if not brackets?

Thanks!
C
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
baclay9

Re: How to do a dual-tank conversion?

It will all work off of your factory fuel gauge. It will read off of whatever tank is selected. Other than that sound s like you listed everything. switch w/ wiring harness,Sending units/fuel pump, tanks, transfer valve, plus all of the hoses that connect the two tanks.

We did a conversion to dual tanks on my Dads 84 and it wasn't that hard at all.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote