The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
willyp

new radio suggestions

I am looking for a new radio for the 66. Something simple, CD player or cassette deck is not required. I do not want to cut my dash and would like to keep it to a stock look. I found this one from classic parts (USA 2) and looking for any feedback from anybody that has this model, or any pictures of this thing installed. Also open to any other suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.classicparts.com/1964-66-...ctinfo/69-744/
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: new radio suggestions

I have purchased the USA-5 & USA-6, which are the top of the line models. Both are now sitting on my shelf after yanking them out after only a few months of being installed. The units are woefully underpowered, carry a very poor signal and overall are not worth the money.

I have had two factory AM radios converted to AM/FM with outputs for iPods, etc. For the same money, you can have the best of every world...stereo, add-ons and factory appearance. Here are a few photos and links to the companies that do the conversions:

www.antiqueautomobileradio.com

www.turnswitch.com

The conversion runs $300.00-$400.00, depending on the condition of the original unit and which company you use. I spend twice that for the USA-6, 10-disc changer & kick panel speakers from LMC Truck in my '66 Chevy C10 6 years ago.
Attached Images

Last edited by LILRED66; 05-25-2010 at 09:36 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I agree with Lilred66. I bought one of the USA-2 radios for a 67 Camaro dash... the radio sucks, IMHO. And to be honest, it even looks like a cheap imitation.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
willyp

haha......not looking good for the USA 2.

lilred, that radio looks really cool..... i guess ill have to start looking for a doner radio. anybody else have anything?
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
TR65

I second what the guys are saying. The USA# radios are Chinese junk. When I called to complain about mine, the guy I needed to talk to was traveling in China, yea.

I threw it away.

My solution is to mount a modern radio along with AC vents, flasher switch, OBDII connector, cup holder etc. in a channel under the dash. So no dash chopping.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
AslanRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
I have had two factory AM radios converted to AM/FM with outputs for iPods, etc. For the same money, you can have the best of every world...stereo, add-ons and factory appearance. Here are a few photos and links to the companies that do the conversions:
I pulled my Delco AM Radio, Model #986771 out and sent it to these guys to repair. Looks like they do good work. I shot a bunch of "before" photos and will make some "after" photos when I get the radio back....they said it would take about 8 weeks.....it's been 3-4.

I also pulled out my original speaker, which was trashed, and sent it to these guys. They reconed it and sent it back in a few weeks. Looks great; can't wait to get my radio back to test it.

So.....I will have the original radio and speaker. In order to be able to play my iPod, I will buy one of these guys. Looks like a good solution.

Total cost: Speaker -- $70; Radio -- $125 ; RediRad -- $129 ; tunes in my 66 with original appearance ----- PRICELESS !!!!!

Oh.....if you don't have the original speaker, this guy has some oldies in stock.

Best of luck,

Randy
AslanRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
losthope

Smile Re: new radio suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRules View Post
I pulled my Delco AM Radio, Model #986771 out and sent it to these guys to repair. Looks like they do good work. I shot a bunch of "before" photos and will make some "after" photos when I get the radio back....they said it would take about 8 weeks.....it's been 3-4.

I also pulled out my original speaker, which was trashed, and sent it to these guys. They reconed it and sent it back in a few weeks. Looks great; can't wait to get my radio back to test it.

So.....I will have the original radio and speaker. In order to be able to play my iPod, I will buy one of these guys. Looks like a good solution.

Total cost: Speaker -- $70; Radio -- $125 ; RediRad -- $129 ; tunes in my 66 with original appearance ----- PRICELESS !!!!!

Oh.....if you don't have the original speaker, this guy has some oldies in stock.

Best of luck,

Randy
thats awesome!!!i want one !!
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Good stuff Randy...thanks for sharing and good pricing, as well.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #9
brawley
Easy Does It

Rod and custom mag. did an article in the May 2010 issue about using an i pod for a head unit and not messing with the original radios?? I might give that a shot when I get to that point.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
willyp

i scored a radio out of a 74 vette, wonder if its gonna fit?
Old 06-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #11
McC_65_91

my buddy has got a 72 plymouth duster, hes got the radio just bolted to the bottom of the dash just to the right under the steering wheel- so no cutting or anything is required but bolting it up, obviously it doesnt look anything like stock... but going this method you could get a radio from your local junk yard, i plan on going this route and making a plate to fit the hole the PO cut in my dash. id rather pay 50 for a working radio at a yard than 400 for one that fits correctly
McC_65_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
LILRED66
Account Suspended

If you don't care about it looking factory, there are $50.00 radios everywhere.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #13
willyp

the vette radio was the right price........free! have to wait till i get home friday night to see if it fits. also found a local junk yard a couple miles from my house with many old chevy trucks in it. im gonna hit that to see what they have.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
WRO44

WillyP....where is this local junkyard?! I have been checking out a bunch around here without much luck. Thanks!

Andy
WRO44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
NF65Fleetside

not doubting you guys word about the USA2 radios but did you guys run amps with them? the do seem suspect but maybe they dont have enough amp wattage to push the speakers?.....either way stoked on the other options out there, I personally dont want to put a newer style radio in my truck either, stoked on the classic stoke one in there now.
NF65Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
halfcockedcustoms

I've heard VERY good reviews about these http://rediscoveradio.com/
halfcockedcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #17
jbgroby

I'm having my OEM AM radio converted to Am/Fm Ipod imput. The speakers are giving me the most issues. I don't know whether to hide a set in the floor vent air inlets or use a dual cone in the dash to be close to OEM.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
chevyguys
I Got it BAD!

I just left the factory radio in place and use my ipod plugged directly into the amp. The ipod (nano) has fm radio as well.

So no need to pay for a conversion... everything is stock. Just plug and play... Plus as technology changes I can just change the cable that connects to the amp.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:00 AM   #19
willyp

the vette radio didnt fit, the face was too wide for the dash. thanks for the link halfcocked. looks cool but still gonna need a radio.

andy the name of the junk yard is groves i think. i scored some new (to me) lower control arms over there.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #20
ampsyco

i bought the plastic box they sell at pep boys. you put a radio in it then screw it into the bottom lip of the dash. no cutting required.

then i bought a 70 dollar pioneer radio.
ampsyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #21
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Sorry, no suggestions. I am just marking this thread because I will face this very same issue with my own truck, and have pretty much the same question. Thanks
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 AM   #22
budman1758

I put the USA-6 modle in my 64. Seems to have plenty of power and runs the 6x9's in the doors and the stereo speaker setup in the dash I installed just fine. I dunno how loud you need to be in a pickup cab......

The USA-6 had 240 watts rated power. Not too many radios in that price range had a lot more. You can always run a power amp if you need to blow the windows out.

The best part to me is the USB input. You can plug in a flashdrive and have enough music for weeks. I installed the USB port in the glovebox. Just used a small hoseclamp to hold it. Works like a charm.

There are a few picks of it installed here.

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac41/budman1758/

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #23
LILRED66
Account Suspended

That is great. I went the same route 6-7 years ago with very different results...perhaps they have upgraded the internals, in that time, but I was very unimpressed with the product, as a whole.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #24
willyp

made a sweet score today from the local junk yard, its outta a 60 to 63 so it doesnt fit perfect but its close. didnt know the dashes were different when it came to the radios but i think i can make it work. gonna have to get the internals rebuilt.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #25
harold64

i bought a kenwood from abc wharehouse for 179, and they installed it! sounds great and lots of power for the kick panels, and the dual speakers for the dash.
harold64 is offline   Reply With Quote