The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
shrike

Truck wouldnt turn over

I was driving over the weekend and stopped for lunch after about an hour of freeway driving. When I came out, the truck wouldnt turn over. I could turn the key, but got nothing. No click, no buzz, nothing.
All the electricals worked, and I could start it by jumping the solenoid.
After I got home, I got out the electrical tester and found that there was no juice coming from the ignition wire. I crawled under the dash and found the wire was hot (when the key was turned) at the switch, but not by the time it got to the fusebox.
I pulled the fusebox, looked everything over and put it back together and then the truck would start normally.
I think the switch on the steering column that prevents you from starting the truck in gear was loose or going bad and it got moved enough to re-establish the connection.
I was wondering what this switch is called? I would like to replace it.
thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Truck wouldnt turn over

I believe this is the one you mean. The pink wire to the fuse box has nothing to do with this switch. There is a purple wire at the key switch that goes to the starter solenoid through the NSS and when the key is turned to start the purple wire becomes hot and if the NSS is in park or neutral the solenoid should get power. The other two terminals are for the back-up wires(green).
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 05-26-2010 at 01:05 PM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

It's called a neutral safety switch (or Park/Reverse/Neutral switch aka PRN).

If you have a stock column, it is probably this part:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_562191989___

If that link doesn't work, it's PN: S270 from Advance Auto Parts. $13

It's tough to replace (at least on my truck) because it's right up against the firewall and the screws face up, and they are tiny, and were hex bolts with little clearance for a ratchet. I had to use a little mirror.

When I had the same problems with my truck, it was actually causing all kinds of starting problems. When I took the old switch off, it fell apart in my hands.

Another cause could be that the starter is overheated from your exhaust, but you said you checked voltage and it wasn't getting there. So that definitely sounds like a bad PRN switch. You can easily test this by jumping the purple wires (I think they are purple) going into the switch. If the truck starts normally with the key, that's your problem.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #4
smoky02

Well hell, i may be in trouble...my truck will start in any gear...course it was a manual 2 speed on the tree when i bought it.

Looking for a 1972 Blazer to hopefully fill the hole in my heart.
smoky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #5
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

I would check to see if you can start your truck in neutral, if so, then put it back into park and then push on the shift lever left or right (keeping it in park) and see if it starts. If it does, could be that you need to adjust your neutral safefy switch.

As for smoky02, yea, if converted from manual, you do not have neutral safefy switch.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
shrike

Well since then, it has started every time. When it was not starting, I did try moving the gearshift back and forth, but with no results. I will crawl back under this weekend and see if I can get a better view. I have a feeling the wire is just loose. I figured I would replace the switch just because it is most likely 40 years old

storm9c1
Definitely not heat soak, I have a new mini starter with the solenoid clocked so that it is no where near the exhaust and a remote solenoid.
I had a '76 Blazer years ago and it used to have that happen all the time. I decided I didn't want to deal with that this time!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #7
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
Well since then, it has started every time. When it was not starting, I did try moving the gearshift back and forth, but with no results. I will crawl back under this weekend and see if I can get a better view. I have a feeling the wire is just loose. I figured I would replace the switch just because it is most likely 40 years old
After my last fiasco with the switch, I keep a jumper in the glove box that I made up to jump the purple wires in case the switch does let go again. So if you make one too and the problem returns again soon, you'll be ready. If it works, then you know it's the switch.

Quote:
storm9c1
Definitely not heat soak, I have a new mini starter with the solenoid clocked so that it is no where near the exhaust and a remote solenoid.
I had a '76 Blazer years ago and it used to have that happen all the time. I decided I didn't want to deal with that this time!
It didn't sound like heat soak because you checked for power at the solenoid. But I mentioned it for the benefit of others who MAY have experienced heat soak. Starters on all of my SBC cars have been a PITA. So I now replace EVERY starter on EVERY V8 with whatever replacement Nippon-Denso style (or "mini" version) is available. For example, I did this on all of my Caprices and Impala. And I even used the Dodge Dakota Nippon-Denso on my '69 Charger. I swear by them and it's good advice for those who need to replace their starters. Most of the time there is another modern car that is made today that has a compatible style mini-starter for an older V8. Doing those cross references saves you from having to buy one from Summit for $200+ versus $100 from Advance. For example, a '94 'Vette LT1 (Nippon-Denso) starter will fit many 153-tooth flywheel SBC motors. And there are also "hi-perf" versions from NAPA which are mini starters.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 05-26-2010 at 05:54 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote