The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
bigeasycigars

K5/JIMMY - Alarms/Security? Whats Your Setup?

Ready to arm my truck with an alarm..Any thoughts? Hood latch locks? Best system for arming when top is off? I'm thinking of installing a Tuffy center console with stereo mount. I'm open to all your security advice.
bigeasycigars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Re: K5/JIMMY - Alarms/Security? Whats Your Setup?

Subscribed -
Old 05-26-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Manuel Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by my90k5 View Post
Subscribed -
X2

Hey bigeasycigars let me know what you decide I have nothing on mine.

Last edited by Manuel Raptor; 05-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Manuel Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

A note taped to the steering wheel with the threat of DEATH!

On a serious note I'm trying to figure out the best route to go too.

My Build

Last edited by Big J; 05-27-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

When I was stationed in Chicago I used to chain the hood closed with a padlock. That was on the pickup tho. Didn't stop them from getting my bicycle either tho. Even with the lock on it!

Anybody got any other good ideas? Battery cutout? On my 71 now, I can pull the coil fuse at the fuse box and they can't start it.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #6
Effeckt

Also subscribed to see what others have to say. One idea I had which won't be for everyone but with my first K5 and now the K5 I own currently, I liked the idea of building custom paneling to hide my equipment. What I had in mind was built in armrests that wrap from the sides of the back seat and the elevated to be flush with the fender sides behind the rear seat to create a trunk of sorts where I could keep everything secure. Then I would get a tailgate locker to prevent easy access to it all. I don't know how well that describes it but I can picture it perfectly in my head. If I get time I'll try drawing what I'm talking about on paper and uploading it here.

As far as the rest, I agree with getting hood latch locks or relocating the hood latch. I also have a kill switch for the motor as well that was installed before I purchased it which I like.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
trz1000

I'm still working on my Jimmy but here is some of the stuff I'm looking at.

-Hidden toggle switch to ground MSD 6A box white wire. One idea I'm kicking around is to use a second headlight foot switch for the kill switch.
-Battery cut off under hood
-Removable face plate stereo.
-Hide the amps and wires real well
-Low key speaker/sub woofer grilles.
-Looking at a way to lock glove box, if I find a clean way to do it, I'll fab up some plate to line the bottom of the liner so a savvy thief can't simply take a razor blade to it.
-Locking console is plan b, there are some nice ones out there but I'll probably make my own.
-Lock the doors even with the top off, yeah I know kind of stupid but that's something my buddy does with his 73 bronco and he hasn't had an issue yet.
-Don't leave anything in plain sight that will attract a thief and those spineless bastards can easily grab, tool box, jacket, etc. The only thing ever stolen from my topless CJ-7 was a base ball bat and glove. Never had a problem with the stereo even though it was pretty nice for the time.
-Don't be afraid to tell someone to back away from your ride. Walking past my buddies parked Bronco at a car show last summer some girl and her boyfriend were chilling, leaning against his rig with their arms draped over the rear quarter. It was innocent but a) it's NOT cool to touch someones car without permission and b) looked pretty suspect, seriously your arms inside someone's ride, come on. We politely but very firmly told them to get lost. For a second they got a bit belligerent like they were offended we had the audacity to tell them to take their hands off my buddies ride but backed down real quick when the took a second to think about how bad it looked.
trz1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 AM   #8
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

I'm thinking perimeter sensor, which would be set for the interior only and a paging system. With a microwave perimeter sensor they would get a warning before the alarm actually sets off.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
rads42

I have a lockable tuffy console with my stereo in it. I like that a lot because its weather tight and secure. The other thing I'm going to do is install a switch after the ignition. I have this set up on my chevelle and while it wouldn't stop someone that knows what they're doing it would probably slow an amatuer down enough to make him move on. My father had a nice Monte when I was growing up and he would just pop the coil wire off and take it with him. Simple and effective!
rads42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
69-72

I'm all set with the locking glovebox button... but I would like to put an alarm system in it.

1972 Chevy Blazer CST 4x4 Almost Rust free survivor

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd Undergoing surgery
69-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by my90k5 View Post
I'm thinking perimeter sensor, which would be set for the interior only and a paging system. With a microwave perimeter sensor they would get a warning before the alarm actually sets off.
I agree with this. If your going topless I would go with a proximity alarm.

drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
elks

Smith and Wesson... It has never been an issue for my jeeps or my blazer. Keep stuff hid, use locks, but with a soft top locking the doors is a bad idea. Had a buddy loose his stereo and a $1200 top because doors were locked. So a knife made the top useless.

I do run a battery kill switch. Never use it, as I am only putting around town or out wheeling. More times than not when the blazer is out so are my fire arms...
Old 05-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Do you guys really think carrying a fire arm is going to keep you truck from getting stolen? I think your fooling yourself. No offense, but if you don't have some sort of theft deterrent on your truck and some one wants it, you are screwed. Believe me, without an ignition kill or other deterrent I could take your truck in 30 seconds. These trucks are just about the easiest vehicle on the face of the planet to steal. Anyone that is targeting our trucks is a professional. You have to be prepared. Here are my various tricks.

1) hidden ignition kill. With how easy it is to change out the ignition I like to cut the power to the switch.
2) Use a club, it may not stop anyone for long. but since our columns don't lock I like to lock up the wheel with a club.
3) When the top is off, I carry a locking metal bed box bolted down behind the rear seat. It keeps my **** safe and dry if we get a little sprinkle.
4) an alarm is always good. make sure it has proximity and page features.
5) poor mans lo-jack. get an old cell phone and charger. hard wire the phone to power. Leave the phone on and duct tape it under that dash. As long as it is on. Instant gps tracking.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED72blazer View Post
Do you guys really think carrying a fire arm is going to keep you truck from getting stolen?
Nope but if you encounter a Bad Guy while he is trying to jack you its a not a bad idea to be able to defend yourself, your family or your friends. That being said my truck is not worth my life. I can always spend another 5-20 years building another, lol.

So far the Club, Proximity alarm, and ignition cut off seem to be the best.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #15
bigeasycigars

Has anyone installed a hood latch locking system that works? Here is an example of what I might try.
Amazon.com: Megatronix - HL35 - 3.5 Foot... Amazon.com: Megatronix - HL35 - 3.5 Foot... they do make one with a longer cable that will fit.

Last edited by bigeasycigars; 05-27-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
Firebirdjones

On my cars I use several different deterents on each car.

The famous toggle switch for the ignition is a good idea, but if the toggle is found it's a simple flip of the switch for a thief, so I like to make it a bit harder. I use a key switch. Key stays in it while it's on, but when I turn it off I pull the key and take it with me.
Even if the switch is found, you would have to remove and disassemble it to jump wires, which takes more time.

Not only that, but I always run a second switch in each car that does the same thing, and hide that one some where else. So you have to find 2 of them

On the manual shift cars I run a third switch through the neutral safety, so if the ignition switches are found, the car still won't start

On the cars that have electric fuel pumps I use an inconspicuous toggle switch to activate the pump, such as a rear window defog switch for example. Right in plain site and looks factory, but it runs the fuel pump Although the car will run for about 20 seconds from fuel in the float bowls, the thief probably wouldn't get out of the parking lot, and when the car dies for no reason, chances are good they will get out and leave before drawing attention to themselves.

The cars with MSD digital 6 boxes also have a rotory switch that will disable the box and the car won't start.

I've used aftermarket alarms in the past with some success too, but I would rather have several kill switches on the car. Pretty much the only way I can see my junk stolen is if they put it on a hook and tow it out. But 99% of the time I never park the cars where I cannot keep an eye on them.

Edit: I converted our blazer to an inside hood release as well, taken from a late 70's pickup truck. My 79 has it factory which gave me the idea to adapt one.

Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-27-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #17
elks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED72blazer View Post
Do you guys really think carrying a fire arm is going to keep you truck from getting stolen? I think your fooling yourself. No offense, but if you don't have some sort of theft deterrent on your truck and some one wants it, you are screwed. Believe me, without an ignition kill or other deterrent I could take your truck in 30 seconds.
Well that is matter of where you live and what people think. Yes being known as a firearms carrier and a legal concealed weapons holder is a very good deterrent to theft. 30 seconds is about 24 more seconds more than I need to make your day really bad. Yes I have a kill switch, but the fear of loosing ones life is probably much more of a deterrent than a switch or lock.

Would I ever hope to be in that situation, not at all, and would attempt to avoid it all cost. But at the same time a person messes with my property, threatens my life, or family, I am prepared to handle it. If a person makes the wrong the decision when I confront them then it was their bad choice. Around here in the sticks, this is way more common than most people realize. I would think twice before ever messing with another properties, not only because I am better than that, but because odds are strong that you will not like the results when the owner finds you.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:41 AM   #18
chevyblazer

nothing on mine simply disconect the baterrie when y park it and stereo goes below the a/c controls and sit downs oboved the a/cbox
Old 05-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #19
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by elks View Post
30 seconds is about 24 more seconds more than I need to make your day really bad.
Are you always 6 seconds from your truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elks View Post
Well that is matter of where you live and what people think. Yes being known as a firearms carrier and a legal concealed weapons holder is a very good deterrent to theft. 30 seconds is about 24 more seconds more than I need to make your day really bad. Yes I have a kill switch, but the fear of loosing ones life is probably much more of a deterrent than a switch or lock.

Would I ever hope to be in that situation, not at all, and would attempt to avoid it all cost. But at the same time a person messes with my property, threatens my life, or family, I am prepared to handle it. If a person makes the wrong the decision when I confront them then it was their bad choice. Around here in the sticks, this is way more common than most people realize. I would think twice before ever messing with another properties, not only because I am better than that, but because odds are strong that you will not like the results when the owner finds you.
I agree with everything you've said. I feel like you are talking about "at home in the sticks". I'm talking more "out and about in the city". if I lived in a small town I would Broadcast a little too....But in Seattle, it's to big a city to trust more than close neighbors. I know that when I'm out I park my truck further away than I like sometimes. There is nothing I can do about it. Carrying my firearm isn't going to stop someone from targeting my rig. But the more crap I have on my truck to deter theft helps decrease the chance of firearm use. I've actually been kinda worried about my truck getting stolen lately. but that's why it's in the back yard behind the fence right now. I think the biggest theft deterrent I've got going is being around the corner from a precinct. I've left my windows down and keys in the DD cars overnight a few times. Unfortunately no one took it.

Last edited by RED72blazer; 05-28-2010 at 02:04 AM.
RED72blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:06 AM   #20
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J View Post
Nope but if you encounter a Bad Guy while he is trying to jack you its a not a bad idea to be able to defend yourself, your family or your friends. That being said my truck is not worth my life. I can always spend another 5-20 years building another, lol.

So far the Club, Proximity alarm, and ignition cut off seem to be the best.
true, I just wasn't thinking GTA video game style jack move.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:42 AM   #21
bigeasycigars

RED72blazer...Loving your retorts.

In receiving a license to carry a concealed weapon for lawful self-defense, you are undertaking a great responsibility. A license to carry a concealed weapon is not a license to use it. I am sure you share my hope that you will never find it necessary to use a weapon in self-defense. If you do, the law will protect you only if you have acted within the law. Those who are choosing to arm themselves with weapons should, therefore, be armed with the most indispensable weapon of all knowledge.

Only you can provide the wisdom, restraint, and good judgment that the law demands of those who possess the ability to take another human life.

Never display a handgun to gain "leverage" in an argument. Threatening someone verbally while possessing a handgun, even licensed, will land you in jail.

The amount of force that you use to defend yourself must not be excessive under the circumstances. Never use deadly force in self-defense unless you are afraid that if you don't, you will be killed or seriously injured. Verbal threats never justify your use of deadly force. If you think someone has a weapon and will use it unless you kill him, be sure you are right and are not overreacting to the situation....Just a few thoughts.

Last edited by bigeasycigars; 05-28-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

What ^ he said.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #23
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeasycigars View Post
RED72blazer...Loving your retorts.
Thanks. I try....

Quote:

In receiving a license to carry a concealed weapon for lawful self-defense, you are undertaking a great responsibility. A license to carry a concealed weapon is not a license to use it. I am sure you share my hope that you will never find it necessary to use a weapon in self-defense. If you do, the law will protect you only if you have acted within the law. Those who are choosing to arm themselves with weapons should, therefore, be armed with the most indispensable weapon of all knowledge.

Only you can provide the wisdom, restraint, and good judgment that the law demands of those who possess the ability to take another human life.

Never display a handgun to gain "leverage" in an argument. Threatening someone verbally while possessing a handgun, even licensed, will land you in jail.

The amount of force that you use to defend yourself must not be excessive under the circumstances. Never use deadly force in self-defense unless you are afraid that if you don't, you will be killed or seriously injured. Verbal threats never justify your use of deadly force. If you think someone has a weapon and will use it unless you kill him, be sure you are right and are not overreacting to the situation....Just a few thoughts.
I also gotta agree with this. I try and be the most responsible gun owner I can be. All we need is for some instance that gives a politician the Idea to try and take our guns away.

I've been in a few situations where I'm sure SOME would have pulled their firearm. It's not really worth it to me, to threaten or scare a dumb ass. It's just not worth the time or trouble.

If you ever see my firearm in public, I have already made the decision to use it. I hope it never comes to that.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
bigeasycigars

So to recap and get back to the subject at hand...

1. Hiding and/or removing equipment etc. when parked is a given.
2. Tuffy 017 (Installing a Tuffy center console to have locked storage for stereo etc. is a route I'm going to go. Love to find a nice locking box for behind my back seat too...Anyone have a thought about that?)
3. Alarm. (Viper 5902 Responder HD Color SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System)
Alarm add-ons.
A. Invisibeam® Field Disturbance Sensor (Protect your vehicle with an invisible sensing field which detects moving high-density objects (including people) near your car using Radio Frequency (RF) field disturbance technology.)
B. Digital Tilt Motion Sensor (The 507M Digital Tilt Sensor from Directed is ideal for protecting a vehicle from theft by detecting when the vehicle is being raised by a tow truck or lifted using a jack, in an attempt to remove the wheels or tow the vehicle.)
C. Backup Battery SystemThis optional back-up battery adds to the security of any install, maintaining power delivery to your security system even if would-be thieves try to silence the siren by disconnecting your vehicle battery.
4. Kill Switch(s). *Plus ignition kill on alarm. (BTW Telling people where you put a kill switch on a board is giving would be thieves ideas where to look.)
5. Hood lock. routed through firewall with a key/lock. (Megatronix - HL7 - 7 Foot Mechanical Hood Lock Cable)

I won't be installing power door locks as I think I'll leave the truck unlocked. I'd rather have someone open the door than cut my soft top.

Any other add-ons you guys can think of?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #25
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

Quote:
So to recap and get back to the subject at hand...

1. Hiding and/or removing equipment etc. when parked is a given.
2. Tuffy 017 (Installing a Tuffy center console to have locked storage for stereo etc. is a route I'm going to go. Love to find a nice locking box for behind my back seat too...Anyone have a thought about that?)
3. Alarm. (Viper 5902 Responder HD Color SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System)
Alarm add-ons.
A. Invisibeam® Field Disturbance Sensor (Protect your vehicle with an invisible sensing field which detects moving high-density objects (including people) near your car using Radio Frequency (RF) field disturbance technology.)
B. Digital Tilt Motion Sensor (The 507M Digital Tilt Sensor from Directed is ideal for protecting a vehicle from theft by detecting when the vehicle is being raised by a tow truck or lifted using a jack, in an attempt to remove the wheels or tow the vehicle.)
C. Backup Battery SystemThis optional back-up battery adds to the security of any install, maintaining power delivery to your security system even if would-be thieves try to silence the siren by disconnecting your vehicle battery.
4. Kill Switch(s). *Plus ignition kill on alarm. (BTW Telling people where you put a kill switch on a board is giving would be thieves ideas where to look.)
5. Hood lock. routed through firewall with a key/lock. (Megatronix - HL7 - 7 Foot Mechanical Hood Lock Cable)

I won't be installing power door locks as I think I'll leave the truck unlocked. I'd rather have someone open the door than cut my soft top.

Any other add-ons you guys can think of?
you forgot the large intimidating dog.