The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
dojo

Where to begin??

Hi, newbie here, great site. Just picked up a 70 C10, pretty clean already, has a crate 350 in it. Was thinking of rebuilding it and never have done this before. Want a little hot rod though. Willing to spend around 20k. Where would you all begin?? I thought a buying a new chassis, but my 20 grand will be gone right away....bummer. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
dojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Where to begin??

You might give this some thought. Buy this one and spend the balance on your truck to make it decent then sell it for some cash.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bad-B...item255ae0db65

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #3
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

In the "For Sale" section, there is a complete, updated chassis for sale... might be a good start.

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
EA69TRK

I started mine by making a plan thats seems to always work the best I've seen alot on here on the projects and build side that guys start off great but then fade because of not having a plan so I HIGHLY RECOMEND you making one since the plan would make you able to price the parts you want. Also try to stick to your budget if you can but sometimes things happen and the budget goes out the window. Also break the build up into smaller tasks as it will not overwhelm you as it will make your life a whole lot less stressful, takes as many pics of how things went together(I learned this lesson the hard way several times you think you'll remeber but you'll forget), finally don't be afraid to ask questions thats the whole reason for this board to expand your knowledge on these trucks. HAVE FUN WITH THE BUILD.

Last edited by EA69TRK; 05-27-2010 at 02:06 AM.
EA69TRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
Beatcoaster
69 Fleetside

$20k is a very doable budget, you just have to have a basic gameplan in your mind for the result and start pricing things out and weigh the costs of what you need/don't need for a solid rebuild. I am at about the $11k point right now in parts, and have made a few concessions along the way, but it is on its way to being pretty sick with about a $14k total investment(including the truck), once I get some nice 20's/tires...Doing all the work yourself is the key to saving money - of course at the cost of a social life or otherwise - every sunny day for the past 1.5years has been devoted to what is parked in my driveway.

Untouched, smoky 307

To brand new engine bay, countless man hours invested, but parts only ran about $5500 for everything in here, and the tranny.

4 Colors, and some surface rust:

One badass sound system, new surfaces, new paint, new switches, new plastics

Still working on the exterior paint sanding right now, but here is my rattle can(that's right) paint job that cost multiple weekends of labor, but only a couple hundred in paint - it shines up real nice with a lot of clearcoat and elbow grease

I really need some new pics as these are a few months old and even more has gotten done since then - modular drop spindles/springs/brakes/brake lines/booster/master/etc but you get the idea of what can be had for the money!!