The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Bad PS pump, steering box, both?

It seems I have no power steering at lower rpm's trying to park, or turn while backing up, etc. At times I can't even turn the wheel at all until I give it some gas and go really easy on the wheel. And it will make a noisy sqeal sound too. No problems once I get going although I'm not turning sharp but you can still tell it has some drag on it. I know the gearbox is leaking some out the top. Is this a pump issue, or the gearbox? Fluid level is good when I have the problems. 83 Chevy 4x4, thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #2
82chevy350

Re: Bad PS pump, steering box, both?

check the belt tension?

'82 Primer White c10 2wd LWB 350 sbc t350
(Hot Rod)
'90 2wd LWB Silverado 350 tbi 700R4
(Daily Driver)
'53 m38a1 Willys Jeep
(Toy)
82chevy350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

mine is doing exactly the same thing.Brand new pump too.It's definitely not a belt squeal on mine (or yours I'd expect).I noticed just the other day that my steering box is seeping slightly out the top like yours as well.Strange part is that I just came in from moving the truck around in the driveway and it worked just fine.The only thing different is that it's been raining out the last few days.Not a clue why moisture would make a difference but this is the first time it hasn't acted up.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

West Butte: It sounds to me like a belt tension issue, BUT, yours is 4WD, so I want you to check the steering damper. Mine locked up tight last week trying to back my trailer out of the garage. I yanked the wheel hard enough to actually bend the drag link and the damper!! Unbolted the axel end and torched the drag link end and had to use a floor jack to straighten the link. It's ok now but I hate to think what might have happened if I was loaded and had to make a tight turn to avoid a crash. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by James McClure View Post
I yanked the wheel hard enough to actually bend the drag link and the damper!! Unbolted the axel end and torched the drag link end and had to use a floor jack to straighten the link. It's ok now but I hate to think what might have happened if I was loaded and had to make a tight turn to avoid a crash. jim
WOW! I'll have to check that out. I'll check the belt tension first off, report back on my findings.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Slick17

Any update on this. My truck is doing the exact same thing. Replaced the power steering pump and it was good for the first week or 2 then started squeling again and not a whole lot of power steering.

Sold 1984 Custom Deluxe K/30, 350 SBC with 4 Speed, 6" Lift, 35" Boggers, Headmen Headers, Custom Full 3" Dual Exhaust, Qualitex Buckets with Flip Center Console
Slick17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
pocket booger

I am having the same problem with my 1980 k10, if you figure it out let us know.
pocket booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
tucsonjwt

I don't know what the problem is, but I just thought that I would mention that the swap out cost of a rebuilt steering box is not very much. I had my steering box replaced about 5 years ago and the core value of the old steering box was almost as much as the cost of the rebuilt box. I think the net cost of the rebuilt steering box was only about $30. I got the rebuilt box from Autozone and the mechanic who installed it said it was a good quality unit (surprised me). Don't know if this is still true. I replaced the pump and box at about the same time, since the pump replacement did not entirely fix the leak out of the top of the box, just as reported here. I recently had some noise in the pump and noticed the fluid level was down a little, so I topped it off with some additive - noise gone, fluid level still correct. Like Click and Clack suggest, why not get some additive with the name "miracle" in the title?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote