The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
19Hoosierdaddies68

68 3/4 ton 8 lug Disc Brake swap

Hello,

I have a 68 3/4 ton 8 lug with drum brakes and coil springs all the way around and would like to start by swapping to disc in the front and stay 8 lug to be a little different. I would eventually like to bag the front and rear. In the front I am thinking about going with a drop spindle to get the desired drop with the bag, either 2.5 or 3". What do I need to do the swap? I have found a local craiglist source who says he has a dics setup from a 69 3/4 ton for $40.00? Sounds like most of it would need to be rebuild anyway so all I would be buying would be the standard disc spindle, which I dont think I will need if I am buying dropped sindles. Are the upper and lower contol arms the same between drum and disc? If I am buying the drop spindle could I just piece the rest of the disc brake components from a standard parts house, Autozone, napa etc.? As in rotors, calipers, hoses, booster... I live in Southern California and near CPP ( I have already used them for a brake swap on my 67 Camaro) so if I can get any parts there that would work. does anyone have a parts list to make the swap easy and on the cheap? What years if any allow me to run my control arms?

I also have another So Cal craiglist source who is selling a complete ("everything I need and ready to run") 8 lug disc setup for $450 which seems high. I believe he said I would reuse my Upper and lower Control Arms. he also has the lines and booster for another $150 I think...

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Jerry
19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:55 AM   #2
Sublvr72
Account Suspended

Re: 68 3/4 ton 8 lug Disc Brake swap

all you need to find is a 8 lug front end from a 71-72 pickup and it will all bolt right on. If you are in Corona then check out some of the wrecking yards in Ontario. There is an Ecology and a pick a part up there that probably have those trucks sitting there and you can pull those parts off for next to nothing.
Sublvr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #3
oteixeira

Shoot, even a newer 2 wheel drive 3/4 ton works. I got my 8-lug off of a 78 Suburban. I cut the frame off just behind the cross member and rolled it out. All but one bold hole lined up perfect and I literally dropped out the old cross member and then put the new one in place. Worked like a charm. This is a cheap and great upgrade (I paid the guy $100 to get my setup).

Orlando
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
19Hoosierdaddies68

Thanks for the suggestion, I didnt think about the wrecking yeards. I might have to start looking around and rummaging.

Do you guys happen to know if the Upper and lower control arms are the same between drum and disc? If so I might be able to just piece the parts together, has anyone else tried this over the counter for 8 lug? The reason I ask is that it seems that most of the stuff I find in a wrecking yard may need to be rebuilt or replaced anyway, right? Maybe not, sound like you guys have found stuff to bolt in a go....

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 06-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Sinister
Between Trucks...

I've been told the upper and lower a-arms are the same. You use ball joints for the year of spindle. Really depends on which spindles you end up using. I was able to get '72 3/4 ton stuff from board member leddzepp. Spindles, rotors, calipers and the all important crosslink. Probably won't be getting to it anytime soon, but have everything except the prop valve, master cylinder and a couple of brake hoses.

Last edited by Sinister; 06-02-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
19Hoosierdaddies68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
I've been told the upper and lower a-arms are the same. You use ball joints for the year of spindle. Really depends on which spindles you end up using. I was able to get '72 3/4 ton stuff from board member leddzepp. Spindles, rotors, calipers and the all important crosslink. Probably won't be getting to it anytime soon, but have everything except the prop valve, master cylinder and a couple of brake hoses.
Hey Sinister - So you are the guy who bought the discs from Leddzepp, I just bought his 8 lug steel wheels and he mentioned I just missed the boat on the disc setup. So are you saying I should find a disc setup from say a 69-72 and just buy new ball joints and the drop spindle for the specific year? I will have to price this out through Napa or Kragen etc. I may still need to find the crosslink you mention. If you are wanting to unload your recent purchase let me know via PM. I have a crisp Benjamin with your name on it, haha.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 06-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
Sinister
Between Trucks...

As far as I know they don't make 3/4 ton drop spindles for these trucks. You'll have to go with a little later model 3/4 ton drop spindles and ball joints, (i.e. square body). Then I imagine you'd need that same year crosslink and stuff. Sorry, I'm hanging on to the disc brake stuff for posterity. LOL That stuff is hard to come by for a decent price.