The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #1
78GMC SIERRA CLASSIC

Starter sticking

Sometimes when I go to start my 78 gmc the starter won't stop even if the trucks running the starter will still be going??? Any suggestions on what I should do I think the ignition might go a little too far which is causing it?
78GMC SIERRA CLASSIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Re: Starter sticking

78, the problem is the starter solinoid sticking. Can be caused by low battery voltage resulting in a high amp draw welding the switch disc to the B+ term and the M terminal inside the sol. Also a weak return spring on the starter drive clutch fork or rusty splines on the armature. If the elec system is up to snuff, get a rebuilt from NAPA. They are cheap and come with a 2 year warentee.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
wedgemon

The pinion drive gear can, also, over-rum the ring gear, causing it to hang-up behind it and hold the solenoid on. Wires get hot and melt, fire starts, etc. I speak from experience.

- Dave

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club

Last edited by wedgemon; 06-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

while both of the above replies are right on what you can do before you replace the starter is to get under there and give it a good rap with a hammer once or twice, and see if that clears it up. I had one like that and there was some piece of junk in there that was holding it up on the solenoid or something and it worked fine after a good whack.
that also works if the solenoid is older and hangs up , although in any event it usually means the solenoid is on its way out and will be needing replacement soon enough

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote