The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
56vicky430

Advice needed and history info sought on 67-72's

Hello everybody! I'm a noob looking for some advice and direction on a build I'm thinking about. It won't be a factory correct resto. More of a frankenstein project. Basically I have several parts on hand that I'd like to work into a 4x4 project (engine, lift kit wheels tires and a bunch other stuff). I want a short wide bed. Was the wood floor an option after 68? If not, then I want a 67 preferably or 68 secondly. I'm not even sure the wood was even available on a short wide so please school me.

Next, If I manage to find a 2wd starter truck..would a 73 up 4x4 frame be of any use or am I going to have to find a 67-72 short 4x4 frame (which would probably be impossible)

Finally, if anyone knows of a truck I could start with...a project or junkyard truck or even body shell parts...let me know.

Thanks for any help!

R
56vicky430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Advice needed and history info sought on 67-72's

Welcome!

Yes, wood floors were still available after 68.

I believe 72 was the last year for a wood floor being available in a short fleetside. Long fleetsides kept the wood option available until 80. And stepsides kept the wood floor as standard equipment all the way to 87.

I don't think a 73-up pick-up frame will be well suited for your project. If you look at the side profile of the frames, you'll notice the 72 & older ones are flat under the cab and curve up over the rear axle under the bed. While the 73-up frames start to curve up under the cab seat area and are relatively flat under the bed. You'd have to raise the underseat floor area of a 67-72 cab to make it fit a 73-up frame. You might want to look into using a 73-up Suburban frame ... it'd have to be shortened of course, but I think the side profile would be better suited for mounting a 67-72 cab.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote