The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 AM   #1
mikeflorez65gmc

Rear drums for 65 GMc stepside?

I am having some trouble trying to find out what kind of drums I need to buy. I just rebuilt my rear end which is a dana 44 and I was told that was the original rear end that came with the truck. I went to Napa auto parts and bought some new drums but they didnt seat all the way on the brakes. They were off about a quarter of an inch. Does anyone know what I should be looking for?
mikeflorez65gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Re: Rear drums for 65 GMc stepside?

The drums are sold by year, as well as, diameter & offset, so try a few other auto parts suppliers in your area or take them back to NAPA and let them know what you need, compared to what they gave you. They may be able to find the correct drums.

Otherwise, try here:

www.lmctruck.com
www.classicparts.com
www.oldchevytruck.com
www.truckandcarshop.com

4-5-6chevytrucks@sbcglobal.net

We have good, used factory rear drums, if you come up short, finding new ones.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
mikeflorez65gmc

Napa was unable to find the drums I needed. I will try a couple of other spots in the area. Thanks for the info, I hope I can find them.
mikeflorez65gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
slorio

Mike:
I have two part numbers you can try for rear 6 lug brake drums. The first is a Wagner BD 60089. The second is Allsafe 2067 DGS.

I used the Allsafe from Autozone. It is for a later model (I think 67-72) truck with 4 wheel drive. It has fins on the outside unlike the original that is smooth. The only modification that I had to make was to drill the 6 lug holes from 1/2" to 9/16" so that the drum would fit on the shoulders on the rear lugs like the original. This drum had the right offset unlike the Chevy drums.

The Wagner was a number that I got from another member of the 6066gmcguy.org site. I haven't used that one, but was told it was a direct match to the original (a bit pricey, though is what I remember).

Also, I saw the drums listed recently on rockauto.com. You should be able to find them there as well.

I hope this helps with those looking for rear 6 lug drums.

Regards,

Steve Lorio

New Orleans, LA
slorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #5
sixbangr

I just put 4 new drums on my '64. Got them from Advance. $29 each and free shipping. They look just like the stock ones from my '63 and '64.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
slorio

Sixbanger:
Do you have a Chevy or GMC? If Chevy, the rear drums are the same as the fronts, if GMC they are different. The GMC drums are 11"X2" front and rear, but the rears have a half inch more offset.
Regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Old 06-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
sixbangr

Chevy, all 11x2 same all around.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #8
Vernski

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflorez65gmc View Post
I am having some trouble trying to find out what kind of drums I need to buy. I just rebuilt my rear end which is a dana 44 and I was told that was the original rear end that came with the truck. I went to Napa auto parts and bought some new drums but they didnt seat all the way on the brakes. They were off about a quarter of an inch. Does anyone know what I should be looking for?
I have a "65" GMC w/ the dana 44 I had the same problem finding drums. Our local tire dealer Les Schwab said my old drums were shot and they of course could get some drums for a couple hundred $. Well I took them to the local parts place NAPA, the fellow there said these don't look so bad let me send them to my jobber and see what he says and he trued them up. I did locate some new drums at Carquest but one was in Salt Lake City and the other in Seattle so I didn't go that route, But they were allot cheaper than Les Schawb. Sounds like Solorio found a good way to go with the part #'s if your drums are shot. Good luck with your quest....Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
raycow

The Dana brake drum problem keeps coming up again and again because too many partspersons think GMC parts are the same as Chevy. What's even worse is that parts catalogs are out there that say the same thing.

If you don't already have it bookmarked, this site is one of the best GMC resources on the web:
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/partnumbers.htm

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
mbgmike

Here are pics of every rear rotor used on them. they all fit many years even into the 70's
Attached Images

mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #11
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorio View Post
Mike:
I have two part numbers you can try for rear 6 lug brake drums. The first is a Wagner BD 60089. The second is Allsafe 2067 DGS.

I used the Allsafe from Autozone. It is for a later model (I think 67-72) truck with 4 wheel drive. It has fins on the outside unlike the original that is smooth. The only modification that I had to make was to drill the 6 lug holes from 1/2" to 9/16" so that the drum would fit on the shoulders on the rear lugs like the original. This drum had the right offset unlike the Chevy drums.

The Wagner was a number that I got from another member of the 6066gmcguy.org site. I haven't used that one, but was told it was a direct match to the original (a bit pricey, though is what I remember).

Also, I saw the drums listed recently on rockauto.com. You should be able to find them there as well.

I hope this helps with those looking for rear 6 lug drums.

Regards,

Steve Lorio

New Orleans, LA
That wagner # has been discountinued. closest now is 60094 He may want to try the drums from the GMC handy Vans they have al lot more options and availablity at most stores then the Pickups.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #12
slorio

Rockauto.com shows the 2067's in Raybestos. You will need to drill the lug holes from 1/2" to 9/16", but these are the ones I am using:

RAYBESTOS Part # 2067 {PG Plus; Outside Diameter 13.7" / 6 Bolts / Finned}
Category: Drum (Only 3 Remaining)

$60.79 $0.00 $60.79

They don't list the BD60089 or 60094's, however.
regards,
Steve
New Orleans
Old 06-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #13
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorio View Post
Rockauto.com shows the 2067's in Raybestos. You will need to drill the lug holes from 1/2" to 9/16", but these are the ones I am using:

RAYBESTOS Part # 2067 {PG Plus; Outside Diameter 13.7" / 6 Bolts / Finned}
Category: Drum (Only 3 Remaining)

$60.79 $0.00 $60.79

They don't list the BD60089 or 60094's, however.
regards,
Steve
New Orleans

Yes thats a good price to We sell the same part it turns out for $77.07 but not sure Raybestos make them anymore also

Last edited by mbgmike; 06-11-2010 at 07:21 PM.