The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2003, 04:56 PM   #1
krazy_texan

epoxy primer

help me, give me advice, anything that would help me i have never applied epoxy primer and am about to do it for my first time and was wondering if you guys could give me tips and pointers any and all help would be highly appreciated
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:05 PM   #2
dbenamati

When I did mine, the biggest mistake I made was thinking thicker/better. It covered minor inperfections but when I had to go back and sand it, what a mess. Gummed up all my paper! My advice, clean the surface with vinegar first, mix it with the epoxy hardner but use reducer (auto supply places sell the reducer seperate) to mix it a little thinner. Believe me, a few thin coats are better than thick ones. I still believe that it was the best primer I could have used on my rust bucket

Dave
Old 02-15-2003, 09:33 PM   #3
casey

My painter put it on quite thin, he said it's just a go between from bare metal to your high build primer.Like dbenamati said make sure you wash the bare metal good before you spray the epoxy, I used a paint stripper on mine and never rinced it well enough, and the expoxy wouldn't set up, had to wipe the wet spots and redo, speaking from experience.Check with you paint supplier if your uncertain they'll give you the low down, every application is a like differant explain yours to them and they'll set you straight
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 11:41 PM   #4
BobM

Used black PPG epoxy on my frame. Sprayed on real nice, but you gotta have a good respirator or that stuff can really knock the !*#% out of you. Also works great as base primer/sealer on any bare metal. Just make sure it's rust free and clean.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 12:47 AM   #5
minibike

Second the good respirator comment. Supplied air should be used with most of the catalyzed paints, but I can't afford it... Good ventilation and a respirator is the next best thing.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:31 AM   #6
GMC Jim

Know that lacquer thinner or acetone is a compatable thinner for epoxy......so.... I would think one should wipe down with either thinner or acetone beforing applying expoxy based products.......
Old 02-16-2003, 09:58 AM   #7
minibike

Most of the paint suppliers sell a cleaner compatible with the paint systems. It is much more expensive than a gallon of lacquer thinner, but it lasts a long time. Considering the cost of a good paint system now a days, I sprung for the $20 gallon of PPG Acryliclean Cleaner. I'm pretty sure Lacquer thinner would do just as good or better on the bare metal, however. This stuff is used between coats, also.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 10:50 AM   #8
Tuck

Use naptha you can get it at lowes for around 6 bucks a gallon. PPG Acryliclean is naptha and a xylene mix.
Tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
krazy_texan

thanks for your help guys keep it coming
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
rolnlow

the epoxy primer I use, take a polyurethane thinner, I have to agree with every one above, use a resepator (you get the picture, not enough use of one, cant spell now) second clean clean clean! third, you want the consistancy a little thicker than milk that way you get good coverage, but still get good build of material, I use a medium solids primer, and it covers little imperfections and wet sands out to a very slick surface, your paint job is only as good as the base that it is sprayed on. you have a way bas, your paint will be wavy, and last, never, never rely on a primer, basecoat or clear to fill imperfections totally, these are all extremely thin coats of material, I usuallyuse a towel flat in th palm ofmy hand and run over the entire surface, you can usually feel stuff through the towel (paper towel) that you cant feel wit your bare hand. the major hitters are cleanliness (the shop and the surface being sprayed) and smothness of the base. ok I'm done rambling, good luck!
rolnlow is offline   Reply With Quote