The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
efsoccer9

Engine or Carb trouble?

Need a little help guys. I have been patient with the old 67, everytime I have tried to drive it, I have found something that needed fixed, manifold, motor mounts, ignition wiring, etc. Today I took it for a 5 mile spin, started fine, stopped for lunch for about 20 minutes, came out, started fine. Left the parking lot of the restaurant and drove about 2 miles, went over railroad tracks, and upon giving it gas, it just putted out and died. Would restart just fine, but as soon as I would put it in gear and give it ANY kind of gas, it would struggle and die out. Any thoughts? Fuel Filter is clean, timing was re-checked, idling just below 1K on the tach, seems honed in, but still struggling. I have a 283, with a 1406 Edelbrock Carb. Any help would be great. Thanks.
efsoccer9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
60ratrod
yes, i do

Re: Engine or Carb trouble?

what do your spark plugs look like? seems to me that that 1406 is too much for that engine. another thing to check for is moisture under the dizzy cap. i can't count the number of times i've had issues cause of moisture under the cap

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Old Bluey

Spark, Fuel, Air Compression (always seems to be fuel or the fire....)

If it's not spark (worth triple checking all spark wire/dizzy/plug connections), could be it's getting too much or not enough gas.

When it stalls, is it due to flooding? Can you smell a lot of gas?

If not, I'd pull the fuel line off the carb and see if the fuel is under pressure. It should spray a bit when the hose is pulled. If not, when was the fuel pump last replaced?
Old Bluey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:44 AM   #4
beebster

Location: Aurora,Il ..born,raised and still live in the same house

If you already have an HEI, check the connection.(wire)
what happened to you is exactly the same thing i went through,after swapping the HEI i found that the wire was too thin and burning itself out. I replace it with a new 12 ga. wire and problem solved.
beebster is offline   Reply With Quote