The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 AM   #1
elks

How too question...

Well in another post I mentioned that I had a rocker arm stud break in 1/2. From research I found that the stud is pressed in and from further research I found, that at some point this particular stud was drilled and pinned in.

I know I will have to drill out the small pin, but how do I go about pulling the stud? I do have good threads left on the stud, so I can get a bolt on, but am not sure how to get the actual stud out. Also can I get the new stud in?

I am trying to avoid taking it to the shop as I am out of work and need to save money.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
elks

Re: How too question...

Some other searches have convinced me to take it to the shop. How much do you think it should cost to have a person pull my head and replace the stud? What about replacing all studs with threaded studs. Research yielded several failed attempts, and most of them being brought into a shop.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
stevencvn72
Kill Bill...et

Elks..repeat after me "I can do this". If there are good threads on the stud, all you need is a stack of washers. Yeah it sounds hokey but this is how it's done. Stack washers and put the rocker nut on and crank it down. Use lots of grease on the washers. When you run out of threads, put on more washers and repeat. The stud will come out just don't forget to drill out the pin. Buy a new tap 7/16-14. and go for it. I bought a tool that would guide the tap in straight. You'll see the link in one of the previous threads. All in all with the tool, tap, rocker, pushrod, ball, nut, and stud you'll be in it for about $50 or $60. If you hire a shop, you would probably be into it about $200 or so if they don't pull the head. Maybe a bit less. If you have to get it back on the road with the quickness, maybe a shop is for you. My truck was parked for months when I did it. Good luck and lemmie know what you came up with. Boy...that was a ramble!

-Steve

I Grease

'67 Chev stepper

http://youtu.be/38p_2Iu2fd0

Last edited by stevencvn72; 06-15-2010 at 01:46 AM. Reason: I'm a re re.
stevencvn72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #4
raycow

Pull the head yourself, and let a machine shop deal with the stud. If the pin is in a blind hole, it will be bloody hell getting it out without screwing up the boss. That job is best left to the professionals.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote