The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #1
Twisted71

Cool California Dreamin, 71 Chevy C10 4x4

Hola,

Since highschool I've wanted a 71-72 Chevy c10 4x. Well its been a long time since high school but I finally got one! paid 1k for it and its in pretty good shape. My goal is to a ground up restoration. Its gonna be tight cause the wife is starting nursing school in august, but ill scrap by I think.

I have been trollin the forums over here and pirate 4x4 to get ideas on which way I want to go. I think for this truck im going to go with a classic truck look but with some modern advancements.

Im going to redo everything I think. It has some rust spots I didnt take pictures of yet and its had some bondo work done. I cant tell all the spots yet but once I start sand blasting ill find them real quick.

Now for hte pictures

Well I had a buddy come over and we began to tear into it. So far everythings been pretty easy. There was a couple of bed bolts that I had to grind off but for the most part it came apart pretty easy. No new suprises with cancer rust, just the stuff I had already seen.

We got it tirn down so that everything was ready to come off. I've since torn the front end off and my dad brought over his trailer today and we got the bed off. I should takin the cab apart cause its still freakin super heavy so that didnt come off today, which sucked.

So im gonna have to go highjack a forklift or strip the windows and doors out to lighten the load a bit. I got access to a forklift so I migh go that route. The truck came with a 350/350. The motors is decent shape it was rebuilt awhile ago but I plan to upgrade toa stroker motor. Im thinking of dumpin the 350 for a 700r4 just for better fuel economy and running a 4 inch lift with 33's. With that Im thinking of gearing 3.73 for also increased fuel economy.

in the next few days im hopin to have the cab off so I can begin to tear apart the axles and get the tranny and xcase out of it. It has a 205 xcase in it. Im glad the previous owner did the disk conversion for me on the front already but the back needs to be done. the wiring int he front was shot so i ripped all that crap out.

Oh ya it also don't have a fuel tank. Hhaha sucks. Im thinking of goin for a toolbox / fuel cell combo. A flush mount tool box that doesn't stick up so it would break the plan of the truck bed for the smooth look. What you guys think. I have a long list of crap to do and I really haven't done this stuff since high school, but i did avionics int he Marine Corps so the electrical will come easily. I think im gonna start trolling craigslist for a decent welder so I can bang out most of the fab myself. Ill have to practice a bit, haven't welded in like 10 years. haha

Anyways, any help suggestions you can throw my way would be excellent! Thanks

Sean

OIF 2 VET, USMC
Twisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote