The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
TX3GMC

Gas Tank Cleaning

Yesterday I finally got started on my 71 GMC LWB. When I removed the old sending unit I noticed that there is some light rust all inside the tank. My question is what can I do to clean it out, without any kind of acids, or radiator shop. I need a simple fix that will last a few months until I get a new tank.
TX3GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Kayotic

Re: Gas Tank Cleaning

I have heard of some people using water to rinse the tank and then insert a length of chain and slosh it around.

There are 3 different kits available, but I don't hear to many good results using the kit. I would imagine it's because it's difficult to get it solvent free for the coatings to stick.

Just make sure it is only temporary though...
Old 06-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #3
red71c10
The Red Menace

I've just been replacing fuel filters on a regular basis. I put one under the cab and I also change the one on the carb. It's only temporary until I get the tank replaced. I'm not going to try and clean it.

"Driving is like coloring. Things get messy if you can't stay inside the lines."
red71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
trusty72

with a see thru fuel filter my gas was rust color. i pulled the tank, dumped the crap out, put 5 gallons of solvent(parts cleaner) in it, shook it around and dumped it out. put it back in and my filter turned clear in 2 minutes of running. this should be fine if u gonna replace it later anyway.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
LEEVON

I hear the POR-15 kit works very well but is is not cheap and very involved. There are some others but the results are iffy. I say just be on the lookout for a new or good used replacement.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
BIG ORANGE

I've cleaned several tanks,,, used carb cleaner and a 24" logchain slosh it around with a friend and then run water through it until water is nice and clear then reinstall and run the 2 clear fuel fliters mention in the post above!
Worked fine for my but I never keep a truck to long until someone has to have it.lol
If your gonna keep her then buy her a new tank later on down the road, your carb.will thank you for it!!

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:43 AM   #7
tim21391

i always heard to stick some coins down in there with some gas to fill the bottom of the tank then shake the crap outta it and do that a few times then rinse it out real well
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
BenE

i used a couple of kits from Eastwoods a few years ago. They came with a small chain and acid for etching. If it wasn't etched real good it wanted to peel off. I recently used some stuff called ''red coat''. So far so good, but its only been a few months.
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #9
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3GMC View Post
Yesterday I finally got started on my 71 GMC LWB. When I removed the old sending unit I noticed that there is some light rust all inside the tank. My question is what can I do to clean it out, without any kind of acids, or radiator shop. I need a simple fix that will last a few months until I get a new tank.
Both Kreem and POR 15 fail in the same way as tank sealers...since they do not bond to rust any rust left in the tank will eventually flake away from the metal and cause the coating to detach in those places. I use Caswell tank sealer for custom (leaking) motorcycle tanks. It is epoxy based so it attaches to any rough surface except polyetheylene. The directions will tell you to remove oil and gasoline by pouring about 1 pint of acetone or lacquer thinner into the tank, and rotating the tank several times to thoroughly sluice the sides with solvent then set aside and allow to dry. It smells bad but there is no better performing sealer for a rusty or leaking tank.
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
BenE

I forgot to mention that "red coat" recommends using the small chain to knock loose the rust and then rinse and let dry. They say acid is not needed but you can use it if you prefer. I got it my local radiator shop. Some radiator shops will clean and coat the tanks for you.
BenE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
TX3GMC

Thanks for all the info guys. I am just going to rinse the tank out as much as possible and purchase a tank in a few months. I wont be driving it to much over the next few weeks gotta replace the clutch and Im replacing all the stock interior. I will try and get some pics up of this one and Im gonna try to get some pics of my 67 3/4 ton. Anyone know of a good place to buy a tank, besides LMC??????
TX3GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
BIG ORANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3GMC View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I am just going to rinse the tank out as much as possible and purchase a tank in a few months. I wont be driving it to much over the next few weeks gotta replace the clutch and Im replacing all the stock interior. I will try and get some pics up of this one and Im gonna try to get some pics of my 67 3/4 ton. Anyone know of a good place to buy a tank, besides LMC??????
Sounds good but put a short run of chain in the tanks also and dont forget the fuel filters and you should be fine! Advance Auto Parts sales these tanks also and if you check online or in the store you can get a discount coupon!
Sometime they mail coupon out to the public also!
Hope this also helps...........

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote