The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
wwotr

Header exhaust gasket question

I'm hearing a start of an exhaust leak under the Hood,
I was wondering what everyones Thoughts/Experiences/Opinions were of the "Copper Gaskets"?
I hear they seal MUCH BETTER and LAST LONGER than the old style "Fiber Gaskets".
I remember when I got my ZZ383/425 GM Crate Engine and they used Fiber Header Gaskets and they started blowing out after 2000K Miles!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: Header exhaust dasket question

Everyone for their own opinion, BUT this is what I have been using for years and it works great for me. I use Felpro header gaskets and I coat both isdes of them with Coppercoat gasket sealer before installing. I let the sealer set up to where it is no longer tacky, before installing ont he engine. I use teflon tape on my header bolts, so that they do NOT back out. Once I set them on a cold engine, I then warm it up and reset the header bolts with it at temperature. The teflon tape does not burn or shrink, the bolts stay in place and when you need to take them out, they come out easily.

I have been doing this for years and my gaskets last a long time. The daily driver has headers on it and they have been under the hood for about 4 years now, without leaks. The show truck has had gaskets done like this for over 6 years. My wife's 95 Impala had it's headers on it for over 10 years.