The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
chris91

kickpanel side vent

Could someone tell, or show me what is located under the fresh air vents on the kickpanels. I have a 64 non a/c cab. I am thinking about cutting that portion out and making a small speaker box to fit the location. then I will get a flat panel and cover the whole kick panel.
chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: kickpanel side vent

here is a pic of it from the outside, just make sure to cover the back of the speaker, so that wind and water don't affect it.
Attached Images

jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Sixxer

^ I agree you would need a way to protect them from the elements... Your fresh air cowl openings drain directly into that area. Now I have seen some board members used "kitty hair" to fill all those holes on the cowl, and there are only two drain holes about a 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch on each side to fill as well and it would be completely sealed. LMC truck and a few other companies do make kick panel speaker panels that even let you retain the vents, your crotch will thank you come summertime... As someone who has played with pro level car audio and competed several times though I can tell you that that location will not reproduce well. First you are creating a very low sound stage, even aiming properly may not help the fact the are so low and tucked under the dash. Secondly, by sealing up the the whole cowl section you are effectively creating a fairly large box for what I assume you would be mounting 6.5" in?? Two speakers mounted in one box without some way of separating the air pressure they create is a no no. With both speakers cones moving inward and outward at the same time you be creating pressure in this cowl/box so the speakers would fight each other. If all you're looking for is better sound then factory then go for it but if you want help doing a thought out and advanced system let me know, cause I'm setting my truck up right now to have all this but also blend naturally with the design of the trucks interior.
Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Sixxer

Ahhh went back and re-read your post... I brain farted on the part you said you would cut it out... my bad.
Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #5
chris91

I am mainly trying to eliminate the speakers sticking out so far from the kickpanel. I keep kicking the grills off and so not want to damage the speakers. It looks like I can take the round portion of the kick panel and mount them. I would just have to make sure they are sealed.
chris91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I built some kick panels myself and will cover the vent hole and I also raised the speaker up and to the front so as not to have it buried down under. I've yet to install them however.

You can angle the mount position so as to shoot up better from the kick area. I have some pics......these were the originals, I have since re-done them.
Attached Images

STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote