The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
BraveDave

'72 Upper A-arm bolts

I just had dropped spindles and springs installed on my '72. The tech couldn't get the camber perfect on the passenger side. The A-arm blots aren't long enough. I need some longer bolts, which isn't a problem, but he tells me that the bolts are somewhat unique on the head end. What do I need to look for and where do I get them? Thanks!!!
Old 02-16-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
jhow66

Try Nut & Bolt Dealer--be sure and get same grade bolt.
jhow66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:47 PM   #3
Vince M

The "bolts" are 7/16-20 x 2 1/2" long. But they are not bolts more like a pressed in stud. The head is completely round. There is access through the frame to get them out...I would imagine a big hammer or air chisel might get it out but the back side is pretty tight with the motor mounts and stuff in the way.

I have heard of offset upper shafts for just the same reason you have mentioned but I don't know who would have them.

My 68 had the nuts backed out pretty far on one side and them some a**hole welded the nut to the stud.

I would think a reputable alignment shop would know how to fix this as this is their business.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:11 AM   #4
junkyardjohn

Lightbulb

WHEN I REBUILT THE FRONTEND ON MY 72 PROJECT, I TOOK 3 1/4" GRADE 8 BOLTS & WELDED THEM IN PLACE OF THE STOCK BOLTS. I ALSO MILLED MY OLD UPPER CONTROL ARM SHAFTS TO 5/8" , CUT OFF THE THREADED ENDS, & USED THEM AS SPACERS, SO I DIDN'T NEED 47 SHIMS.

( AN AIRHAMMER POPPED THE OLD BOLTS RIGHT OUT. THEY'RE PRESSED IN)
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:03 AM   #5
Johns70

i ran into that myself after putting spindels on. turned out that the crossmember was tweaked a little, after changing it they could get it in adjustment. maybe you have somthing tweaked like a a-arm or something from a previous wreck?is there a big difference in the number of shims from left side to right side?
Old 02-18-2003, 02:12 AM   #6
junkyardjohn

ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, THE AMOUNT OF SHIMS SHOULD BE ABOUT THE SAME. THE MORE YOU DROP THE FRONTEND.... THE MORE SHIMS YOU'LL NEED.... & THE LONGER THE BOLT NEEDS TO BE FOR YOUR UPPER CONTROL ARM SHAFT.

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 02-18-2003, 02:23 AM   #7
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

I have done an extencive search for longer studs and have come up empty handed. The only explenation I have been given is that they must be propriatory and unavailable to anyone else but GM and not available in any longer lengths than the stock 2 1/2". If anyone else can find them I would appriciate it. The places that I have already tried are Valley Nut and Bolt here in Olympia and Tacoma Screw. I gave them each a stock stud that I purchased from GM and each were not able to come up with anything and they had my samples for a couple of weaks each. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:30 AM   #8
junkyardjohn

WES .... I SEARCHED & SEACHED & CAME UP EMPTY HANDED ALSO. A FRAME SHOP NEAR ME GAVE ME THE WELDING IN LONGER GRADE 8 BOLT IDEA, & SAID THEY CAN'T GET LONGER STUDS EITHER. THIS IS HOW THEY FIX THE PROBLEM.

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
Old 02-18-2003, 03:10 AM   #9
BraveDave

The driver's side is aligned perfectly. The tech also thought that the truck may have been wrecked at one time, hence the difference in the two sides. Thanks for the suggestions. I may find some new bolts and just have them lengthened. All is need is another 1/2-inch or so. How bad would it be if the nut were two or three threads short of being flush with the end of the bolt?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:37 PM   #10
Vince M

The nuts that are used are a crimped end style which is for locking the nut to the bolt/stud. It is very important that the nut be threaded on or you lose the locking feature of the nut. Not a good idea for a stressed suspension part.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:01 PM   #11
BraveDave

Well, whaddya know! Upon further inspection i discovered that truck already has 1/2 bolts on the upper A-arm shaft. I got under the truck and could see hex-heads on the inside of the frame. Someone else must have run into the same problem - or maybe the original bolts were stripped or something - who know. At any rate I just went and bought a couple of 4-inch bolts (better too long than not long enough) and I am off the Firestone. Now I will finally be able to drive this truck around! Thanks for all the info!!!

Brave Dave