The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Mikewb

Vibration

Will a worn out lower control arm bushing cause your truck to feel like it has a knot on the tire and shake?
Mikewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
TeXaS 86 C10

Re: Vibration

i was curious of the same thing past few weeks about 25-55 i get bad tire shakes like a wobble from side to side, mostly noticed it on right, now today its some one the left side and it comes and goes, sometimes it feel like a wheels is gonna fly off then other times shes smoothe as can be

i was thinking control arm bushings, sway bar bushings and/or possibly wheel berings ??? maybe its endlink set or rod boots ? im going to try and replace every possible part in the front that is bad or will go bad in the future, any recomendations on a parts list ???
Old 06-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
PRattenbury

Jack the truck up and shake things around. If something is loose, it's probably causing your problem. grab the wheel at 3 and 9 oclock position and shake back and forth. if the wheel seems like it has play on the spindle it's prolly wheel bearings. If the spindle moves with the wheel your bearings might be okay, but then look at all your tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm. Any play in there? If there is, replace the offending part. I know you have the truck on jack stands at the frame, because you're not an idiot, right? So the truck is stable? Take a long bar and put it between the ground and the bottom of the wheel. Pry up on the wheel and release, pry, release... get it? Wiggle the wheel up and down while watching the top and bottom of the spindle with respect to the control arms, looking for play in the ball joints. Do this shaking around business to both sides of the truck. Make note of the loose parts and make a shopping list. Also a good trick is to put the truck back on the ground and have an assistant turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for play in all the linkages. also look at the control arm bushings while doing this. Steering gear box to frame connection, steering rag joint.... If you do all this shaking, find all your loose/worn parts, replace them, get realigned, check your tires to make sure there's no bad belts or other tread anomalies, make sure your shocks are in good shape and then balance all four wheels, your truck should ride just fine, and you only spend money on what you find in need of replacement.
PRattenbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
85X3

Lift truck supporting weight under the spring pocket on the lower control arm. Spin the tire and watch the gap between the ground and bottom of tire. That will show a bad tire. Place your hand on the bumper as the tire is spinning. A bad wheel bearing will "telegraph" through the steering to the frame. A bad steering/suspension part will not cause or cure a vibration. Sounds like a bad tire. Broken belts are very common. You can feel a broken belt best between 5 and 35mph. If you feel it in the steering wheel, the tire is on the front. Feel it in the seat, it's on the rear. Wheel balance vibrations usually come into play around 55-60mph. Truck should be supported in the same manner when checking ball joints and steering components.
85X3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

Seeing that the original posted it from Tulsa Ok,The heat down there the last couple of weeks will make weak tires show problems.

I can't remember A time when a control arm bad caused a vibration,Not saying it can't.I haven't run into that.

Last edited by powerdriver 1958; 06-27-2010 at 10:26 AM.
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Mikewb

appreciate it guys. have replaced upper balljoints outer tie rod end idler arm and pitman arm on the thing. everything looks solid. i hear a little noise from the wheel bearing when moving the wheel back and forth. but other then that nothin. I have switched my tires around and same problem on the front driverside. . Maybe the guy at the little tire shop i went to didnt balance my tires correctly?
Mikewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
joe1982
.. !WAR FEDOR! ..

when i bought my truck it was doing this, i my bearings were bad.
"san diego chargers #1"
joe1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
cableguy0

If theres any movement or you can hear the bearing. Replace them. They are too cheap to have one fail and cause an accident.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote