The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2003, 04:09 PM   #1
Low87
been here longer than Liz

Attn bigblock73

I've got some questions regarding your tank setup;
1) Where did you get that setup and how much?
2) Are those the inlet & outlet stems on the rear? Can the tank be mounted so they face forward?
3) How are you going to run the filler neck? Through the bed floor?
4) It's hard to tell, but did you place some brackets across the frame to attach the tank brackets to?

I think some other guys were also wanting to know what you used to coat/paint your frame & axle, so fess up!

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'89 GMC K5 Jimmy 4x4 "Rusty Nuts"
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

"You get what you pay for" - Mike 'swervin ervin' Ervin
Low87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:42 PM   #2
PHOENIX

He used nail polish paint

Im curious to know what you used for the paint also.
Please see my post about engine bay paint.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:20 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Attn bigblock73

Quote:
Originally posted by Low87
I've got some questions regarding your tank setup;
1) Where did you get that setup and how much?
2) Are those the inlet & outlet stems on the rear? Can the tank be mounted so they face forward?
3) How are you going to run the filler neck? Through the bed floor?
4) It's hard to tell, but did you place some brackets across the frame to attach the tank brackets to?

I think some other guys were also wanting to know what you used to coat/paint your frame & axle, so fess up!
OK, bear with me, MOST the info I have on this setup is at work so I don't have access to it at the moment.

1. I got the fuel cell from Summit Racing, I included the link below. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=6921

2. Yes, they are the inlets/outlets. I am sure you can mount them facing forward but if you plan on any stoplight duty or 1/4 mile blast down the strip it would be a bad Idea since the fuel would be forced away from the inlets/oultets during acceleration.

3. My filler neck will be thru the bed floor.

4. I only needed to fab one bracket for the front support, it is an aluminum c-channel painted satin black (to match the chassis).

I have an entire "article" I wrote up on this mod, when I get to work tomorrow I will add it to this reply. As far as the paint, I can't remember but I think it is an enamel paint and the color is satin or "egg-shell" black...very close to what GM painted the chassis back then.

Hope this helps, like I said earlier, i will edit this post tommorrow so stay tuned.

Eddie, my block is painted Dupli-color high temp (new Ford grey), and the inner fenders will be painted gloss black with a touch of pearl added...they will be painted the same time the truck is painted.

-Jeff

EDIT: here is the article I typed up after i installed it...

I decided I did not want to run the saddle tank gas tank that was mounted on the outside right frame rails, but instead I wanted to put a fuel cell in the rear frame rails under the bed floor. I have seen people put in suburban/blazer gas tanks back there, and while there is nothing wrong with this I liked the looks and simplicity of the cell more. After some careful measuring I determined a 16 gallon unit (same size as my stock tank) from Summit Racing would fit perfectly. This is a foam filled cell (to prevent fuel slosh) that has a GM sending unit already installed. The cell will be mounted to the top of the rear frame support and to the top of the frame just behind the differential with a custom made bracket. Because the frame kicks up above the axle I will need to design a bracket that drops down, that way the cell will sit level with the bed/frame once finished. The difference from the rear of the frame to where the new bracket was going to sit was 1 ¾”. I went to Discount Steel and Aluminum and purchased an aluminum C-channel that measured 32” long and 1 ½” x 1 ½”, I then purchased a flat piece of aluminum that was also 32” long and 1 ½” wide by ¼” thick. Once home I put them together in a vice, drilled two holes (one on each end) and bolted them together, this giving me the desired 1 ¾” drop bracket. Once two pieces were now one, I drilled the remaining holes for the straps, sanded the bracket, and primed and painted it the same color as the frame. Once the paint had dried I centered and clamped the bracket to the frame and drilled two holes through each end and bolted the bracket to frame. Now it was time to install the cell, or so I thought. The problem I encountered was that the bracket for the rear brake line was in the way, the cell with its brackets installed would not clear it. To remedy this I shortened the ends on one side of the brackets (the ones that bolt to the rear frame support) by one inch, by doing this it moved the cell back the same distance and now it fits like a glove with about ¼” clearance between the cell and the brake line/bracket.

Last edited by bigblock73; 02-18-2003 at 11:18 AM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
Low87

Thanks Jeff! You're right about how you face the inlet & outlet, I guess now I'm curious to see your fuel line set up.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 02-18-2003, 11:53 AM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

Greg, I have not run the lines yet, i was originally going to run an elec pump but have since decided to run a mechanical. I will be running braided SS line\Aeroquip fittings all the way and mounting it with insulated clamps so it won't rub against the frame and destroy the paint.

Also, I added my install steps to the original post in case you haven't noticed.

-Jeff
Old 02-18-2003, 12:36 PM   #6
Low87

Got it, thanks a million! I'll have to double check my cell setup, but I think I have 3 lines in & out of the cell due to the TBI, which would mean using the inlet on top of the cell and possible clearance problems with the bed. Do you know how much room there will be between the top of the tank and the bed? I've seen the filler neck extenders that bolt to the fuel cells, also need to know how long to get one of those.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 02-18-2003, 01:10 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Actually you only need two lines for fuel (delivery & return) and one short line for a vent (top of the cell). I do not know the clearance since I have not put the bed on the frame yet, but my guess would be the thickness of the bed supports since the cell sits flush with the top of the frame and the supports sit on the frame itself.

-Jeff
Old 02-18-2003, 02:42 PM   #8
Low87

Alright, I may have those answers before you do. Looking at parts online and chatting with Brandon, trying to get together a parts and price list. I think I'm going to do braided hose on this on, damn that stuff isn't cheap.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 02-18-2003, 02:53 PM   #9
Low87

Jeff, where are you going to run your vent line?

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside

Old 02-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

It'll be a hard line mounted to the front cell bracket I made.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:22 PM   #11
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

I was just getting ready to say, you guys better rob a bank if you are running braided/AN fittings all the way to the tank. It is nice though. I'm not saying anything about how much I have in my tranny cooler lines.

I recommend using Aeroquip stuff all the way. Don't mix different manufacturers parts. I can help with the parts you need. I have a Aeroquip catalog. I know quite a bit about this stuff. I've had plenty of practice with it. It can get confusing real quick. I know this for a fact.

Let me know if you need some help with the part numbers and such.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:44 PM   #12
Low87

Summit has a braided kit line that's for the tank to the pump.
20 ft braided hose
4 NPT to -8AN adapters
1 -8AN 90 degree hose end
3 -8AN hose ends
10 5/8 insulated line clamps
All for $119.95.

'87 SWB 6/8 drop "Piso"
'08 CCSB Silverado DD
the departed
'77 Chevy K5 Blazer 2wd
'83 Chevy stepside