The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
JGray

New Guy - Introduction

I've been a fan of these older trucks since I was a kid - my Dad had a 72 Suburban that I learned to drive on in the mid-70's. I always wanted a 4x4 Blazer and bought a 71 w/ 350/AT in 1992 that was in beautiful shape - no rust, fresh paint, perfect interior. A year or two later I found a 72 SWB 4x4 w/ 4 speed in similar condition and ended up buying it as well. I ended up selling the 72 SWB a few years later, keeping the Blazer - been kicking myself ever since. The Blazer is now in need of of all the major rust repair/patch panel work, the interior is shot and I've lost interest in it as I'd rather have a P/U (plus my wife hates the old Blazer ). As luck would have it, I just found a 72 SWB 4x4 w/ 4 speed that is in better shape than either of the other ones I've owned (plus my wife loves it ), so needless to say it followed me home with the promise that the Blazer would go. It's had a lot of work done to it, but it appears to have been done a number of years ago. Best information I have indicates it has spent most of the last 8 or 10 years garaged. It needs a few minor things done now and will need a clutch in the near future, otherwise runs and drives great. I just added some 3 point retractable seat belts, since there was nothing in it.

I'm sure I will have lots of questions as I tinker with this one to "finish it", but will start with an engine question:

About 10 years ago, I put a new zz4 crate motor in the Blazer and it currently has 40-50k miles on it and runs great. The 72 I just bought has an LT1 (I was told) that is "fresh" but no verification of mileage. I'm not familiar with the LT1's other than what I've been searching out on the web over the last week. The LT1 definitely has a pronounced whining sound from under the hood that I assume is the gear driven water pump. It is a carb motor with rear distributor, so I really don't know what I have - early 70's LT1 vs. mid 90's, etc. Next step is to clean it up and verify aluminum vs. iron heads, block numbers, etc.

My initial thought was to swap the two motors to keep the zz4, but I am now having second thoughts - the more I drive it, the more I'm liking it just the way it is. It feels snappier off the line than my zz4, but doesn't seem to have the punch at higher rpms. Not really a valid comparison due to the Blazer being an automatic w/ 3.07 gears vs. the P/U being a 4 speed w/ 3.73 gears. I've done numerous searches here and on Google on LT1 vs. zz4 and have come to the conclusion that the zz4 is a little more motor, but most of the LT1 info I'm turning up is related to mid 90's computerized/fuel injected motors. I'm having a heck of a time deciding if it is worth it to do an engine swap before I send the Blazer off to someone looking for a body and paint project. I'd sure love to here some opinions on these two motors and swapping if it makes any sense...

Jerry

Here are some pics of it before I wrote the check. The color looks a little off (pinkish) due to the cel phone camera - it is what I would call Corvette Red:
Attached Images

JGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
68,69 K20
They call me the Breeze...

Re: New Guy - Introduction

Welcome to the board, nice truck... Dig the tailgate...

69 K20

"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy"....Ben Franklin
68,69 K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
BIG ORANGE

Welcome aboard JGray,
Enjoy what has turnned into the place to be for 67/72 trucks aswell as other classic Chevrolets of other yrs.
Nice truck by the way!
Big O.

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Thumbs up Re: New Guy - Introduction

Welcome from N. Calif -- very nice truck!!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #5
cam.man67

Howdy from MD! Nice SWB, I really like the tailgate. Personally, I'd be interested in swapping the zz4 out for the LT1.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
epashhans

Welcome! And very nice truck.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
GruntMoanCough

Welcome! Nice lookin' truck. Post engine numbers, when you get to it, I'm sure you'll get some answers here.
And, that tailgate trim looks kinda cool on there.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
JGray

Thanks for the welcome and comments. I was luke warm on the tail gate trim and stainless trim in the cab initially. I've always preferred the stock/original look on these trucks, though it is growing on me. It appears the original color was green, but not a bad job in changing it other than some sloppy masking off under the dash and engine compartment.

I did a factory in-dash tach install on my Blazer a few years back and the gauge cluster in it looks to be in better shape so I may loose the big tach on the column and swap guage clusters before I sell it.

There was no spare tire or jack componenets with it, but I have an extra OEM type jack, and can scrounge up the rest of what I need. The driver's side bed rail has two holes from an in-bed spare tire mount that is long gone. I've never seen a source for original or reproduction mounts and am wondering if anyone may know of a source?

Jerry
Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #9
junkyardjohn

WELCOME FROM S/E KY JERRY.. IF IT WERE ME.. I'D PULL THE MOTOR & KEEP IT AS A SPARE. IT'S ALWAYS NICE TO HAVE A COMPLETE, GOOD RUNNING SPARE, & WITH A LITTLE MANTANANCE FOR LONG TERM STORAGE,( (BUY A SPRAY CAN OF CYLINDER FOG, PULL ,DRY & STORE THE CARB INSIDE, & PUT ABOUT 12 QUARTS OF OIL IN THE CRANKCASE & DUCT TAPE ALL THE OPEN PORTS)( IT'LL COST YOU LESS THAN A CASE OF BEER) IT WON'T HURT IT A BIT TO SPEND THE NEXT 5 OR 10 YEARS ON A PALLET & UNDER A TARP. (EVEN OUTSIDE, BEHIND THE GARAGE, AS LONG AS IT'S DRY) I'D ALSO EITHER PULL OR SWAP ANY PARTS YOU WANT TO KEEP OFF THE BLAZER BEFORE YOU SELL IT. YOU DON'T TEND TO GET ANY EXTRA DOLLARS FOR NEAT PARTS ON A PRODJECT TRUCK & THEY COST A BUTTLOAD TO BUY IN THE FUTURE. WELCOME JOHN
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST

Last edited by junkyardjohn; 07-01-2010 at 06:07 PM.
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #10
hoodup

welcome from bozeman!!!! great looking rig
Old 07-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
epashhans

Hey Hoodup, don't mean to hijack this thread, but how did your truck fair in the hail storm yesterday down there? Sounded pretty nasty! We missed out up here, but sounds like we might be in for some tonight. The clouds are looking bad rolling in...
Old 07-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #12
hoodup

Funny you should ask!! I manage the golds gym down here so i was park in the Hastings parking lot that day and watched as golf ball and Q-ball sized hail destroyed the town, glass everywhere!! After it was over...I walked around the lot to find that every car and truck had sheet metal and body damage and about 50 to 70 percent of them had glass damage....But, my 40 year old GMC remained untouched from the hail...I mean nothing at all!! they must have built them better back them....Thank you Bethlehem steel!!
Attached Images

Last edited by hoodup; 07-02-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: want to add picture
hoodup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
JGray

That's good to know, hoodup - I was worried here the other night when we had the big hail storm predicted. Lots of rain, but no hail, though...
Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
epashhans

Hoodup, glad to hear! The pictures looked crazy. Did you just buy your truck not long ago?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
hoodup

bought the truck almost one year ago...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:01 PM   #16
epashhans

Oh, okay. I just know I have seen it on CL lately and thought maybe you just bought it, but I guess that was you.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
hoodup

that was my truck on cl....buddy of mine played a joke on me to sell it...not sure why.