The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
enick72

v8 swap in a 55 1st series

I'm new to the forum and have been looking into a few different trucks to buy. I used the search feature last night but didn't have much luck but that may be due to my phrasing.
I am looking for information about how much work is it to swap the 6 cyl. or transmission or both in a 55 1st series truck while keeping it mostly stock. I found many swaps with front clip replacements but for now I'm more interested in just a swap of partial drivetrain. The truck I'm looking at has been in a barn since 1977 and there is no key so the seller is not sure if it will run. If it does run I dont mind the 6 cyl at all but may want to replace the tranmission for better driving conditions.
Any help is appretiated.
enick72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: v8 swap in a 55 1st series

welcome. Scroll down thru the current posts, this has been discussed in the last couple of weeks. Here are the short answers. Tranny swap sometimes involves a new rearend too if you have a stock enclosed drive shaft. Most Chevy manual transmissions will bolt on to the stock bell housing. Autos will require fabrication of new transmission mount because the stock manual bell housing supports the rear of the engine and transmission. Upgrade to a v-8 in a stock 6 truck required the steering column and box to be moved outboard a couple of inches, see the recent thread discussing this. You don't have to clip these trucks to enjoy them. I have been driving AD and TF trucks since the 50's for hundred of thousands of miles and none have had anything except the stock springs and beam axle or currently 74 4wd axle. It will ride like a truck but that's what it is. If you want it to ride like a car then you need to clip or go aftermarket IFS setup.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
enick72

Thanks for the info. This is good news since I would like to keep it a six at this time if possible and just upgrade the trans if I need different gearing.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
NONHOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by enick72 View Post
This is good news since I would like to keep it a six
Mine will stay a six ! oh and
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
enick72

Quote:
Originally Posted by NONHOG View Post
Mine will stay a six ! oh and
did you change your trans for better gearing for todays driving conditions?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Tranny swap sometimes involves a new rearend too if you have a stock enclosed drive shaft.
'55 1st is the first for open drive. A different axle would only be needed if you want gears not available for the stock rear. There are even disk kits available for that rear axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Upgrade to a v-8 in a stock 6 truck required the steering column and box to be moved outboard a couple of inches.
I don't like the way this approach changes your steering geometry.

Another approach is to swap in a power steering box from a 70s/80s Chevy or GMC pickup using the CPP kit. If you stay with a six your power steering pump mounting becomes the problem but that can be over come. And of course going V-8 means finding factory brackets that match your pump and application.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #7
raycow

A transmission swap on your truck would be no problem at all. You didn't say what transmission you have in there now, but some kind of overdrive would be the easiest way to get highway-friendlier gearing.

If you have a 3 speed and want to stay on the column, a 3 speed + O/D, which was a factory option on 55.2-up trucks, will be almost a bolt-in. It doesn't have to be from a truck. You can also use one from a car.

If you have a 4 speed now, or would just rather shift on the floor, a T-5 from an S-10 truck will bolt to your present bellhousing with only minor modifications.

As already mentioned, a V-8 swap will require some fairly serious rearranging of the steering. Personally, I am not a fan of V-8 swaps in AD trucks for this reason. If you want more power than you can get out of a 235 or 261, a 292 will fit in very easily without having to do any cutting on anything.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 07-02-2010 at 05:38 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

This may give you some ideas:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954
Oh, and Welcome to the board !!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
enick72

Raycow, I just read a thread that someone did on 5 speeds. It was a very good write up and very helpful. it does have a 3 spd now and I would probably go with a T5 and just put it in the floor. Instead of changeing rear diff or ring and pinion a 4/5 speed just gives nicer driving gears, with a 3 spd it's always going to be too high or too low IMO.

If this all works out I would like to keep the original 6 in place and just upgrade gearing and probably brakes. Going to look at the truck tomorrow Thanks for the help.

Last edited by enick72; 07-02-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
enick72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
This may give you some ideas:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954
Oh, and Welcome to the board !!
Thanks for the link, I just read this entire thread last night, very helpful. I know it was for a different year but very sinilar to the 55 1st.