The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-03-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Power Doors and Manual Doors

Can i convert Manual Windows to Power Windows?

the original doors where power doors windows and locks
the newer doors are manual windows but power locks
i have 2 power doors rust free so i only need to convert the other 2
passenger front and Driver Rear

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Power Doors and Manual Doors

Doors are doors. It depends on the window regulator, be it power or manual, that is the only difference. All bolt on stuff. The door shell is the same regardless.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
GmtGmt

ok i have all the stuff that goes inside so it just to swap it out

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Doors are doors. It depends on the window regulator, be it power or manual, that is the only difference. All bolt on stuff. The door shell is the same regardless.
Not exactly. The 73-76 doors are different. The outer skin is the same, but the inner shell was never designed to accommodate power windows.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Not exactly. The 73-76 doors are different. The outer skin is the same, but the inner shell was never designed to accommodate power windows.
If you want to get technical, the outer skins are not the same. There is a difference in length between 76 down and 77 up.

My guess is, if his doors with crank windows have power locks, they are newer.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
GmtGmt

the truck they came from was a 85 crew cab 3+3 that had some strange options
silverado package, bench seat, Tilt steering wheel, A/C, power door locks, manual windows, Manual 4 speed, 454, 1 sadel tank, no cruze

Quote:
Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

You'll have no issues then GmtGmt.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
If you want to get technical, the outer skins are not the same. There is a difference in length between 76 down and 77 up.

My guess is, if his doors with crank windows have power locks, they are newer.
You are correct sir. I posted that for the benefit of those that might not know.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
silverado package, bench seat, Tilt steering wheel, A/C, power door locks, manual windows, Manual 4 speed, 454, 1 sadel tank, no cruze
Quite an odd set of options, especially a quad cab dually with only one tank. I bet he got pretty tired of hitting every gas station on his way anywhere on a trip.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
GmtGmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TT View Post
Quite an odd set of options, especially a quad cab dually with only one tank. I bet he got pretty tired of hitting every gas station on his way anywhere on a trip.
yeap it was original a canadian truck

Quote:
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
68longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmtGmt View Post
And I thought my 86 swb had a strange option setup, I have manual windows & locks, Power steering, manual brakes and A/C
68longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

I swear sometimes they just toss in whatever is left. I had an 85 monte carlo once. Had the 305 H.O., bucket seats/console, spoiler on trunk lid, full instrument package with tach and all, but had crank windows, AM radio only and hubcaps. It was like they could not make up their mind down the assembly line if it was a bottom of the line monte or a SS.