The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
beau21

Parts Recommendations/Opinions (Antennas, Ribbon and Bumper)

Hey everyone.

On my 85 Chevy Scottsdale I was thinking about adding dual antennas (or something of the like) and a new rear bumper but I'm looking for some opinions and/or recommendations.

On the antennas: I bought an OEM dual knob radio from Classic Parts of America and installed it but I don't have the best radio reception. I don't honestly know much about radio antennas but had thought about dual antennas maybe mounted behind the cab (one on each side) because I assume that would pull in some dang good reception, and I like the look of the antennas on both sides. But this might not be the best idea at all... I really don't know. I'd love to hear some input about this. Yes, no, brands, prices, etc.

On the ribbon: I've seen chrome Chevrolet tailgate ribbons on many trucks but I can't seem to find a place to buy new ones.. Does anyone know where I can find them? Or do I just need to try and find an old one in good condition?
Example from longbed gallery here:

On the bumper: I've got right now and old painted bumper on the rear that I've wanted to replace for a while. I was out the other day and there was a truck in front of me with a bumper similar to below..

Does anyone know what type of bumper this is? Or where I can find one at? I personally like it as an alternative to the regular straight bumpers associated with these Chevys.

Thanks!

Last edited by beau21; 07-04-2010 at 02:27 PM.
beau21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Parts Recommendations/Opinions (Antennas and Bumper)

I have seen it called a cowboy bumper or drop center bumper. Try google searching those terms.
Is your current antenna in the windshield? I am in the process of converting back to a windshield antenna because my aftermarket fender antenna is a hacked up mess - reception is very good though. This is my third square body truck with windshield antenna, and reception has been adequate in the other two trucks. If you are looking for something more than local radio stations, try Wilson Audio. I have a cell phone antenna (trucker's style) from them and I get full bars all the time on my cell phone. Don't know if their radio antennas are equally good, but I suspect that they are, from what I hear, but pricey. You could hook a Wilson antenna to your outside mirror arm and see it you like the reception, then relocate it elsewhere if it does the job.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
beau21

Perfect. Thanks for the recommendations!

Do you (or does anyone) have any places you know of to buy Chevrolet tailgate ribbons?
Old 07-04-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

The tailgate ribbons arent chrome, theyve just been highly polished. theyre still aluminum.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

If you search around this site you will find various square body parts vendors.
The two big ones are LMC Truck and Classic Parts of America. They both have the tailgate bands you refer to. The Classic Parts catalog shows the 81-87 at $649.95. They both have online catalogs you can search. If you are into restoring or modifying your square body, it is nice to order a paper catalog from both suppliers - you can see all of the bits and pieces you may be missing or need to replace on your truck, plus some unique mod items for our trucks.
Also, go to the front page of this forum and you can see members selling parts, both individuals and businesses. You might find a stainless steel band there. I took mine off because it got too beat up from the tailgate hitting the bumper when I tilted my dump conversion box to far into piles of dirt. If cost is a factor, you might be able to find a damaged one and see if a stainless steel trim restorer can get it back in shape. Stainless steel does clean up nice with WD40 and steel wool.
If you need other parts I, and others here, can give you a list of suppliers we have been using for our trucks.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
baclay9

Craigslist is going to be your friend on the tailgate band. If you are patient you should be able to find one.
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
beau21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
The two big ones are LMC Truck and Classic Parts of America. They both have the tailgate bands you refer to. The Classic Parts catalog shows the 81-87 at $649.95.
OK. So I'm going to have to admit stupidity on this here because I just can't seem to find it.

I actually have both a LMC and Classic Parts catalogs for the 72-87 Chevys but had been searching for tailgate ribbons and didn't find anything.. so I tried tailgate band.. but, still nothing. Unless I'm just not reading the catalog pages correctly, I'm just seeing tailgates and not the bands themselves.

Would someone with a catalog handy be able to direct me to the page? Or possibly the online version of it?

Old 07-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Page 84, Classic Parts catalog vol. 11. I misplaced my LMC catalog - looking online now.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #9
tucsonjwt

Now I don't see the listing in LMC either (online).

One on Ebay now for $184:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
tucsonjwt

What surprises me is that there are not more of these used tailgate bands for sale. They can be stolen easily by just removing a few screws, so why are they not as plentiful as stolen hubcaps? A good reason not to have one.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #11
RGS

Not mine but here's a deal for somebody! Better act fast though because he's going to scrap it!!

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/pts/1828646264.html

Glenn
RGS is offline   Reply With Quote