The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
ubtripn

Just twisted off an intake manifold bolt!!!

Hi Everyone,

So I was leaking oil out of the intake mainfold bolts on my 68's 350. I was taking each one out one at a time and applying Permutex high temp black silicone. When I got to the second to the last bolt on the passenger side closest to the distributor the head - the bolt just twisted off. 97& of the stud is intact in the hole, just the head of the bolt and 2 turns of threads came off. I know that I will have to deal with this later on but can I just leave the stud in since it is siezed and maybe put a little JB Weld on top of the stud? Then I could drill it out later during a rebuild. It seems to me that the worst that could happen would be to keep leaking a small amount of oil in that spot but I am a novice so what am I facing? Will the stud leak more now? Is the whole manifold not going to be sealed in the back now? Thanks for any help you can provide.
ubtripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Alex Hayley

Re: Just twisted off an intake manifold bolt!!!

Ooops....Lucky that you will have a decent amount of the stud left when you pull the intake. I would not use JB Weld. I would seal it with a softer sealant and keep an eye on oil leaking.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #3
60ratrod
yes, i do

well if its the second from last bolt in the back on the intake then you will be leaking coolant because you won't have the pressure from the bolt to keep the seal tight and secure and you can leak coolant into the motor. what i would do is go to either napa or the hardware store and get an easy out/extractor. i prefer the square style easy out/extractor cause to me they seem to bite the metal better.

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
-07 gmt900 silverado 1500 lt xcab z71, granite blue
-81 suzuki gs650g "shelah"- current project
-81 kz1000m1 csr "sarge" -next project (just beautification)
-07 kawasaki vulcan classic vn900
60ratrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
pat 70/71

Can you grip the shaft of the bolt? you need to get it out of there. center punch it drill it out ( small drill) and use an easyout if you don't feel you can do this, talk to a buddy who has done it. Everyone that plays with these trucks has run into this at one time. hope this helps you. cheers, Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
Sammy

Yes, I agree. You might be doing a rebuild next week if coolant leaks into the pan and you throw a rod or a main bearing. Be safe and get that torqued properly. Torgue those bolts in proper sequence.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Sinister
Between Trucks...

If you have a welder, I'd weld a nut to it.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #7
ubtripn

All great ideas, thanks guys. I was hoping that since it was second from last that the other bolts might keep enough pressure on the manifold. There is coolant under there as well as oil? Are they in separate channels so they don't mix?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
Duncan and son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
If you have a welder, I'd weld a nut to it.
x2
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
60ratrod
yes, i do

there actually isn't any oil going through the intake. the oil is either coming from the lifter valley or from the valve covers. the oil coming from the lifter valley is either fumes from the heated oil or oil splash from the from the lifters them self. coolant on the other hand is running through the front of the intake and the rear just blocks off the rear passages of the cylinder heads. sounds like you might need new intake gaskets

-60 Chevy C10, dead 350/good th350 combo, sitting on a 76 c10 blazer frame, built from 11 different vehicles "the abomination"
Old 07-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
ubtripn

To be more specific the head of the bolt plus a little bit of the stud broke off so there is actually a slight dimple that goes downward there now. Is ther a chance of the seal keeping on the intake manifold overall?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
71swb4x4

No, it won't seal. Best case scenario it makes a big mess on the intake. Worst case scenario the coolant goes into the lifter valley, mixes with oil, and you blow the motor. Pull the intake, get the stud out, and put it everything together.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #12
ubtripn

ok, thanks, I guess since it was kind of towards the center I was practicing wishful thinking. Thanks for the advice. I'm taking it.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #13
cdowns

sillycone is a poor thread sealant// i prefer using the teflon oaste stuff they sell as "thread sealant" in autoparts stores
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
Sillyoldman

Dont use an easy out. Your'e screwed when they break because they wont drill out. It will break,trust me. Saturate it with a penetrating oil for a couple days. Then use a reverse drill bit and heat. It will free up just don't be in a hurry.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
60ratrod
yes, i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Dont use an easy out. Your'e screwed when they break because they wont drill out. It will break,trust me. Saturate it with a penetrating oil for a couple days. Then use a reverse drill bit and heat. It will free up just don't be in a hurry.
i've used easy outs before and never had one break, but then again i don't think the bolts were torqued

Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #16
bigsnookmaster

If a piece of the bolt is sticking out, I'd take the manifold off and try to grab it with a GOOD pair of visegrips, or weld the nut to it.You can always put some heat to it also.Good luck
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #17
ubtripn

I am going to do just that tomorrow because with the manifold off the stem will be sticking up.

One physics questions that keeps bugging me though, if the block has threads and the intake manifold has threads and the bolt was fully torqued and when it was set to be removed, just the head of the bolt came off. Then what you have left is a threaded stem inside both the intake manifold and the block, how could the intake manifold not stay sealed? Wouldn't that stem have to unthread to create a gap? If it is siezed in place I just don't see how it could rotate which it seems would be required to loosen the tension of the intake manifold to the head? If only the intake manifold portion of the stem had threads then I could see but the block does too?

At any rate, I will pull the manifold tommorow but if anybody can answer that question it would really help put my mind to rest. thx

Last edited by ubtripn; 07-07-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 AM   #18
loosecannonzs

The intake isn't threaded, only the heads.
loosecannonzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #19
El Jay
Gone to greener pastures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyoldman View Post
Good advice.

To add a bit to it, I'd have everything set up & ready to go; bolt center punched & the drill loaded & ready to go.
After heating the bolt, I'd hit it with a candle to get some wax down into the threads & then start drilling with the reverse twist drill. The tip of the bolt is a little harder than the rest and when the drill hits the end, it will try to bind & back the bolt out.
If this doesn't work, then you already have a hole drilled for your E-Z out.

"Ah women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent." Friedrich Nietzsche

"Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day." Harry S. Truman

GUN CONTROL: Never having to say, "I missed you."

Always fire two warning shots into your attacker's chest area before putting a bullet between his eyes. Paraphrased from Louis Awerbuck
El Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 02:51 AM   #20
johnechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jay View Post
Good advice.

To add a bit to it, I'd have everything set up & ready to go; bolt center punched & the drill loaded & ready to go.
After heating the bolt, I'd hit it with a candle to get some wax down into the threads & then start drilling with the reverse twist drill. The tip of the bolt is a little harder than the rest and when the drill hits the end, it will try to bind & back the bolt out.
If this doesn't work, then you already have a hole drilled for your E-Z out.
And if that didn't work just weld a washer onto the broken bolt, then weld a nut to it. Reheat with a mapp gas torch and dab some paraffin on it (candle), and then it SHOULD come out. We used to do this with broken head bolts also.

Last edited by johnechi; 07-08-2010 at 02:51 AM.
johnechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #21
bigsnookmaster

Once you have the shoulder of the bolt exposed, smack it with a hammer a couple of times, this can work wonders also, but don't kill it when you hit it. I would bet once you have the manifold off, it won't be that hard to get the bolt out.
bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:17 AM   #22
propanemudtruck
Local Redneck Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
Once you have the shoulder of the bolt exposed, smack it with a hammer a couple of times, this can work wonders also, but don't kill it when you hit it. I would bet once you have the manifold off, it won't be that hard to get the bolt out.
Reading the replys to this post I was looking for the hammer trick. Shocking the threads will do wonders for sure! Every brake bleeder I every open gets tapped with a ball peen before I put my line wrench on it, same for broken bolts... If the hammer doesn't work, then I go to the blue hot wrench

four on the floor feel the beat in your soul
movin to the rhythym pumpin til ya cant take no more
dance if you want to do what you came to
you cant ignore the feeling of that four on the floor
propanemudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
Pick

A couple more tips:

Kroll oil (my personal choice) or another penetrating oil will help once you either weld a nut on the stub end or drill a hole for an easy-out.

IF you decide to try an easy out, remember that you need the hole to be straight and as on-center as you can possibly get it. You don't want to wipe out the threads with the drill bit. (obviously) If the drill starts walking off center, you can usually straighten the hole back up and bring it back to the center with a high-speed pencil grinder or a dremel with a small (1/8" or less) ball burr. Be careful with it and go slowly.

The same high speed pencil grinder or dremel can also help you if/when you break an easy-out. Yes, good burrs will cut hardened easy-outs......very slowly, but they will cut. Here again, be careful because you don't want to wipe out the threads in the process.

Once you get the offending bolt out completely, you'll probably want to tap the hole to clean up the threads. Use a GOOD sharp tap.......preferably not a bargain basement import tap...........and start it in the hole slowly to make sure it is just cleaning the existing threads and not cutting new ones. Cheap taps often do more damage to threads and often break in the process.......and that will ruin your day! (yes, they can be removed most of the time, but it takes time and patience a little luck.)

I hope some of that helps!

The bottom line is to BE CAREFUL or you can cause more trouble than you started with!
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 AM   #24
ubtripn

Wow-you guys are great, thanks for all of the advice.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #25
71tahoe

You should also investigate why there is enough crankcase pressure to push oil out the intake bolt holes. Make sure your PVC system is working.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote