The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
londoncalling

1970 Chevy Suburban

Hello All,

I've been searching for an early 70's Suburban with a number of specific options for over a year now. The specific combination of items narrowed the available vehicles significantly. So I recently changed my approach and decided to find a rust and accident free truck that would serve as a platform to build what I wanted.

That truck arrived yesterday, a 1970 Chevrolet Suburban. It was advertised as a rust free, accident free, four speed, four wheel drive with 63,000 miles on the original small block 350. Still in its original red-orange paint with a liftgate. Two owner truck that was originally sold in December 1969 and serviced its entire life at the same dealership that sold the car.

The reality was a different story.

I hate learning these lessons the hard way, but still a solid truck to work from. A frame off restoration is in the works, hopefully starting in October. The current plan is very basic, beyond the body and paint, the highlights of which will be a crate 350 (350 HP) from the Engine Factory, and Vintage Air. I'm still undecided on putting disc brakes up front and moving to barn doors in place of the liftgate. I'll make those decisions in the next few weeks.

I will keep everyone updated once the project gets started and hopefully you will all find it interesting.

I have attached a picture of the truck.

Regards,
LC
Attached Images

londoncalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
Alvin
Never Done?

Re: 1970 Chevy Suburban

Welcome to the best board on the planet!

That thing needs a frame-off resto? Looks really nice in the pic. What problems were "hidden" by the seller?

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
londoncalling

Prior to buying the truck I requested 50 photos of troubled areas and still did not notice the problems until I had the truck lifted at my local dealership. As it turned out, rust free was a generous description. Accident free was equally as generous. And the engine was not original. All items that carried a pricing premium.

Regarding a frame off restoration; two reasons. First, the truck comes from an arid environment but is now in New Jersey. Not only is it in New Jersey it will serve as a four season around town cruiser. My fear is that it will rust away if I don't address it up front. Second, I want to make a number of changes that are significant enough that a frame off seems logical.
londoncalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
Alvin
Never Done?

That's too bad. I remember when I bought my first truck and started working on it I was disappointed by how rusty it was. However, my second truck wound up making me wish I still had the first one!

It certainly sounds like you have a plan and you've got the right idea taking care of things up front. Looking forward to following your progress!

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote