The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
corymcrae

different transmission.

im wondering what five speed manual transmission i could put in my 62 c10 that would fit relatively easy instead of the original 4 on the floor transmission.
corymcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
62 mark

Re: different transmission.

Some guys are putting the borg warner T-5 in their old chevy trucks...although they are not nearly as strong as your 4 speed. I lucked out and found a camaro v-8 version, which has a higher torque rating.
62 mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
corymcrae

well my transmission is very noisy and i do some out of town driving and would like to cruise highway speed without running 3500 rpm.
corymcrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #4
Heater63

Wink Re: different transmission.

I've researched this the past year, and it looks like you have two pathways to choose from, which is always nice. It sounds like you need overdrive, badly !
The cheaper, resourceful way is the T5- but only if it's the World Class, and only if you drive without banging more than 300 ft lb through it aggressively. Brad and others have done T5's, there is a lot of info here, at inliners, and other websites. There are minor input/output differences on spline counts, speedo setup, etc, but pretty easy to do. If using bench seat, you will need to find an S10 tailshaft to swap on for decent shift location. Find a couple of old T5's and then get a local shop to go through it (for me, Standard Transmission and Gear in Ft. Worth).
I had 2, and was going to do this, but got cold feet worried about running more than 350 ft/lb of torque through it. You can probably do this for $400-900 depending on lucky finds and wether you overhaul it or run it as found.

The easy, turnkey, newer, stronger tranny is the Tremec TKO-500 or 600. Again a 5 speed overdrive, but with torque ratings to 500 or 600 ft/lb, multiple shifter location choices. Downside is price. $2,100 and up. See Hurst Driveline, Keisler, Chevy5speed, etc for kits. Jegs and Summit sell the tranny too. Prices are the same. This is the path I am taking, have been saving $$ for a year.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Heater63

Also, the better T5 is called "World Class", or WC. It has needle bearings instead of bushings, is rated to higher torque, etc. Be aware that a few years of the desirable Camaro WC T5 (93?) used the FORD bellhousing pattern, making necessary the use of a jeep bellhousing (hard to find) or steel scattershield ($$$). Watch out for that, make sure any T5's you look at have the GM pattern

good luck.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
Heater63

Here you go Cory, a fresh Tremec into a 66:

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...ion/index.html
Old 07-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Here's everything you ever wanted to know on the T5 swap:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
raycow

That thread may be more than you want to know if you intend to drive the truck like you own it. I put an S-10 T-5 in my 60 C-10 behind a stock 305 a few years ago and I have had absolutely no problems with it since then. This means I didn't need to buy two transmissions and I didn't need to take them apart, move the speedo gear, etc.

The S-10 isn't a total bolt in. I did need to shorten the input shaft pilot and bearing retainer, but that was a lot less work than taking two transmissions apart. I needed a different driveshaft and clutch disc of course, but you would need those with the Camaro box too.

If you have any questions about how I did the swap I will be glad to answer them.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM   #9
Rhoff2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
That thread may be more than you want to know if you intend to drive the truck like you own it. I put an S-10 T-5 in my 60 C-10 behind a stock 305 a few years ago and I have had absolutely no problems with it since then. This means I didn't need to buy two transmissions and I didn't need to take them apart, move the speedo gear, etc.

The S-10 isn't a total bolt in. I did need to shorten the input shaft pilot and bearing retainer, but that was a lot less work than taking two transmissions apart. I needed a different driveshaft and clutch disc of course, but you would need those with the Camaro box too.

If you have any questions about how I did the swap I will be glad to answer them.

Ray
Ray, what did you have to do to the driveshaft? Was it shortened or was it a different spline all together?
Rhoff2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
raycow

My truck had a 4 speed in it, so there was no way I could adapt the original driveshaft. The T-5 needs a shaft with a slip yoke like a 3 speed or an automatic. The good news is that it takes the same 27 spline yoke that GM has been using since the 60s.

Once the T-5 was bolted up to the bellhousing, I put a yoke in it and measured for the correct driveshaft length (center to center on the U-joints with the rear axle at ride height). I then headed for my friendly local salvage yard with a tape measure. A half hour and $10 later I had the shaft I needed. I put new U-joints in it because the shaft had been out in the weather for a while and I didn't feel like waiting for the joints to die after it was on the truck.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
jocko

Quick follow-up on using a Tremec - while the mid position is probably the best to use for a stock bench seat for fore/aft clearance - has anyone ever used the left offset also for the purpose of moving the stick closer to the driver (since the TKOs are top/center exit from the trans)? I realize the offset is primarily for adjusting left/right to make the stick fit a given stock console, but wondering if anyone has used it to move the stick to the left, to maybe make it more in line with where a muncie or t-10 4 speed's shifter would poke thru the floor. Seems like there would be space limitations using an offset and it'd be darn near impossible for a basic shifter boot to work, but just curious. I assume the offset is really JUST for trying to fit it into a stock console location - not for generic nearer-to-the-driver positioning - but wondering if anyone has more insight on this.

Also, speaking of overdrives - has anyone used an M21Y tranny? It has an overdrive 4th gear (not much over, better than 1:1). I've got a 3.73 rear, I might be able to get away with the gear ratios in an M21Y - i.e. 2.20 1st and I THINK a .86 4th. I'm a big 4 speed fan, but OD is niiice for highway driving and seems it could be the best of both worlds (simpler retrofit, old-school linkage, competition plus shifter, yada yada).

Thoughts?

Last edited by jocko; 07-11-2010 at 12:08 AM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
Rhoff2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
My truck had a 4 speed in it, so there was no way I could adapt the original driveshaft. The T-5 needs a shaft with a slip yoke like a 3 speed or an automatic. The good news is that it takes the same 27 spline yoke that GM has been using since the 60s.

Once the T-5 was bolted up to the bellhousing, I put a yoke in it and measured for the correct driveshaft length (center to center on the U-joints with the rear axle at ride height). I then headed for my friendly local salvage yard with a tape measure. A half hour and $10 later I had the shaft I needed. I put new U-joints in it because the shaft had been out in the weather for a while and I didn't feel like waiting for the joints to die after it was on the truck.

Ray
Thats what I thought. I have a 4 speed too.. Thanks for the info.
Rhoff2009 is offline   Reply With Quote