The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
sjarrett71

Wierd PCV system!!

Hey guys, check this out and tell me what you think. I have removed the oil fill cap and replaced it with a breather. That's the best I could do for now because the other two holes where the pcv valves are were too small to do anything with. Also, what hose is supposed to be connected to the metering block on a Holley carb? I'm posting some pics of the PO's damage. Any advice on how to clean this up would be great!

Old 07-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Wierd PCV system!!

why are you running 2 PCV valves?
remove one of them, install the breather in the now empty hole, and then put the cap back on the front hole
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
sjarrett71

It's the way the PO had it. I got a breather and put it in the oil fill hole because I couldn't find one wiht a small enough shaft to fit in the PVC hole. Can you tell me what hose is suppose to go where on a Holley carb? I've had several Edelbrock carbs but never a Holley.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
71swb4x4

Get a smaller bushing to run your breather in.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
sjarrett71

It's not the bushing, it's the actual hole. The breather wouldn't even fit without the grommet.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #6
sjarrett71

If you notice where the brake booster vacuum house mounts to the carb, can I take it off there and mount it to the intake manifold and then attach the PCV hose in that location on the carb? What hose is supposed to be mounted to the metering block or can I plug it off? The vacuum advance hose is attached the front bottom of the carb.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 AM   #7
QKENUF4U

WOW WHAT A CLUSTER FUDGE THAT IS !!!!
1. remove the hoses from the carb thats run to the two PCV's (think i either used that for my distributer or plugged it)
2. the PCV's can go to the back of the intake in the first pic (in front of the dist. where the brass line/fitting is between the hoses) make up a T fitting there and plumb brakes off that
3. ONLY ONE PCV needed.. the other side needs to be the breather (they make new rubber plugs to fit the holes with the correct size hole for the breather)

[IMG

Last edited by QKENUF4U; 07-10-2010 at 01:06 AM.
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #8
cdowns

that craks me up an excellent illustration of what can b done by a parts changer with no clue as to what the proper way is . who needs a service manual, just friger it out
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 07-10-2010 at 01:15 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #9
vectorit
What?

No wonder the carb intakes are all black...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
WOW WHAT A CLUSTER FUDGE THAT IS !!!!
1. remove the hoses from the carb thats run to the two PCV's (think i either used that for my distributer or plugged it)
2. the PCV's can go to the back of the intake in the first pic (in front of the dist. where the brass line/fitting is between the hoses) make up a T fitting there and plumb brakes off that
3. ONLY ONE PCV needed.. the other side needs to be the breather (they make new rubber plugs to fit the holes with the correct size hole for the breather)

[IMG
That WAS the fuel line. I just moved it over there to get it out of the way. I ended up replacing it. There was a metal line from the fuel pump then a rubber line then the fuel filter then a rubber line then a metal line then a rubber line then the metal line into the carb. Can you see why I replaced it?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #11
sjarrett71

QKENUF4U, THANK YOU for the info!!! If we could still give rep points I'd load you up!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
jorgensensc

QKENUF4U,
The only thing I'm not sure I agree with on what ou said was the manifold vacuum. If he has an automatic he needs to run the tranny off that port. I'm not sure with holleys, but I always run my brake booster line off the carb ( maybe where it's at now on the carb) and run the PVC off another port that comes off the carb. ( maybe that's also on the same port it's on now). For sure you need to have one PVC on one valve cover, and a breather on the other. Right now the PVC's are pulling major vacuum on the engine. The breather is needed to create that inlet flow of air, so the PVC can pull air through the engine. However, be ready for some smoking to occur. I had somebody tell me once doing it this way was a way to pull vacuum and help reduce oil by the valve seals. When you take it off you may have more oil consumption and smoking.
Shawn

-What would you attempt to achieve if you knew you could not fail?-

-I Refuse To Tiptoe Through Life, Only To Arrive Safely At Death's Door-

R.I.P. EAST SIDE LOW LIFE
jorgensensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
sjarrett71

Thanks for the input Shawn. The truck has a 4 speed tranny so no need for a vacuum line for it. I'm gonna hook the brake booster up to the rear of the manifold, the PCV valve to the large port on the rear side of the carb, the vacuum advance to the small port of the front/underside of the carb, and block off the port on the metering block. I guess I'll look for another breather assy with a smaller shaft to fit in the rear hole in the valve cover on the driver side of the engine and put the oil cap back in the front hole.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Camaro_nut2001
Chevy Lover Till The End.

Ok, you need to run one of your PVC"s to the big port on the back of the carb, it's in the base plate. Do away completely with the other PVC. Put you Dist. on the port on the front metering block and plug off the small port on the bottom right side front of your carb. Put a 90 degree fitting in the intake behind your carb and run your booster off of it. Before you hook up your lines correctly, clean out the metering block port and both base plate ports with carb cleaner as I would say if the motor has been run this way for a while you have gumed up oil in your carb. Good thing you replaced that fuel line setup. JM2C
1968 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe - 327/350hp, TH400, all original.
Members I've met: BamaBaxter,

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=500359

Last edited by Camaro_nut2001; 07-10-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Just saw something I missed.
Camaro_nut2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Tomahawk30

I got a laugh out of this.... I picked up a 78 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 last year that had that same dual pcv valve setup for some odd reason. I admit to a WTF moment when I first saw it...

1972 C10 Custom Deluxe Highlander - sold
1971 Cheyenne Super Longhorn -sold
1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 4x4 -sold, bought back, sold again... I'm dumb.
1970 Chevy C10 SWB "Sprout" -sold
1972 Cheyenne K20 -sold
1969 GMC Shortbox Stepside 4x4 -sold
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4 -sold
Tomahawk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
RichardJ

PCV systems are really quit simple. Fresh air enters one side of the engine, mixes with the crankcase fumes, exits the other side of the engine through the PCV valve and goes into the intake manifold. The engine burns the fumes along with the gasoline. The PCV valve controls the rate of flow of the crankcase fumes.
The drawing below is flipped left for right from what you are probably going to do.

You will notice that in the drawing there is a hose from the air cleaner to, the valve cover. The air entering the crankcase through the carb air filter is going to be filtered better than a seldom cleaned or replaced valve cover filter.
There is another thing to consider. When an engine gets older and worn, the PCV system cannot handle all the crankcase fumes and blow-by. Under high load conditions such as on a hill or WOT , some of the excess fumes will reverse direction in the hose to the air cleaner. The carb will suck these fumes in and they will be burned. If you only have a valve cover breather, the excess fumes will spew into the engine compartment.

This is called a Closed System and ALL crankcase fumes and blow-by are consumed in engine combustion.

In case you missed Camaro nut2001's post, the upper metering block port on a Holley is "ported" vacuum. That is the port generally used for distributor vacuum advance. The front bottom port is used for other emission systems if present.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
sjarrett71

Thank you RichardJ. I'm gonna get this thing straightened out tonight after I get off work and after I mow the yard.

Last edited by sjarrett71; 07-10-2010 at 03:09 PM.
sjarrett71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

You mentioned that your breather is too big for the hole in your stock valve covers.Seems that most aftermarket valvecover breathers are for 1 1/4" holes but the stockers are only 1".I had the same issue and after some looking around I found a chrome breather made by RPC that worked for me.I don't have a part number for you but this is their website http://www.racingpowercompany.com/in...cPath=0_14.The Bumper to Bumper here stocks them.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
sjarrett71

Thanks for the info! I'll probably end up changing the valve covers anyway but it's another link to add to my "favorites"!
Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
C20-67_N_MO
Champagne Taste on Beer Budget

RichardJ the system you have shown is the CLOSED system. But most PCV systems these days just have an open breather that is NOT attached to the under side of the air cleaner and is considered an OPEN PCV system.

just a FYI for everyone.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

the closed system is prefered, and required for the smog police if your state enforces it (1964 and up on cars, and 69 and up in light duty pickups).
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
sjarrett71

Well I got everything fixed with the PCV system! I got a new nipple for the rear of the manifold for the brake booster, I only have one PCV valve now with a hose to the rear bottom of the carb, the distributor hose is attached to the metering block and the small nipple on the front of the carb is blocked off. I also found a breather with a small shaft to replace the "extra" PCV valve with so I could replace the oil cap. I'll try to post picks up this evening.