The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #1
bitchin85

Angry Four new trannys in less then 1 month!!!!!!!!!!

Tranny #1- got it from a junkyard and ran it for a little while till a u joint broke and split my bell housing.. IN HALF..

Tranny #2- bought the fully rebuilt th350 with shiftkit and stahl convertor for 400 but it had the wrong size tailshaft. bought it from a freind so i got my money back..

Tranny #3- found a guy who rebuilds all kinds of trannys. went to look at one and i was impressed by how big his shop was and how many customers he had.. he has built many race trannys.. wel anyways i got a mild shiftkit with stock converter for 335 total. put it in and was happy.. till reverse totally went out the next day..

Tranny #4- took the last one back and he was cool about it and exchanged it for free and gave me $100 to cover all the fluids/labor, but he did not give me a new convertor. he said it should be fine... this tranny is 3 weeks old now and is slipping terribly, takes forever to go into reverse, and doesnot have a shift kit..

i have a couple options because i do have a signed reciept with a 1 year warranty.

im calling him in the morning and i dont know what to say.. i do haul some stuff but when i do i take it real easy, so i dont really think this has to do with how i drive it..

what should i say to the guy? this truck is my DD and i cant have it apart every weekend swapping trannys..

what would you do?
Old 07-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
1LowToy

Re: Four new trannys in less then 1 month!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's time you had him swap out the tranny. Tell him you've missed out on three hot dates and your not going to miss this weekends hot date.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
bitchin85

i was considering bringing that up to him too.. i was also going to see what it would take for him to put heavier duty clutches and a shift kit in it.. even only driving it for one hole day with the shift kit, i loved it.. it would chirp the tires into second. and im doing a vortec head/cam/intake swap sometime very soon so ill need the extra balls in the tranny because i dont want this to keep happening..
Old 07-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

I would just get my money back and get a tranny from somewhere else. Sounds like he has lots of customers because they keep having to bring their cars back with bad transmissions.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
benoit454
Chris

I think I'd take it to him and tell him the deal, tell him I'm tired of changing them out, and he needs to learn how to build transmissions or stop selling them. I don't know what he's doing but if they are"rebuilt" then they aint done right. it aint a freakin 700r4 so the cable has nothing to do with it. other thing it says in the sig a th350c. You aint using a lockup tc in a non lockup trans or vice versa are you? I heard if you do it either won't work period, or will do as you said, work then, nothing. I can't help but think either the pumps aint right or lined up, or junk, or something else inside is just wrong or not new/rebuilt. If nothing else the next one I might put some lucas stop slip/trans fix in it, you can use the stuff as preventative maintainence to help it not go out as fast.

Although you shoudln't have to it's a rebuilt trans and should work no questions no additives.

One other thing, not sure on the shift kit, but the b&m calls for either trick shift or type f, I don't know if running dex/merc3 or so would bother it or not. Alot of ppl argue this fact but hey the instructions tell you to use one of the 2.

Your cooler isn't plugged up is it? Mabe if it was might cause them to burn up.

Again though I think it's the transmissions and not you or your truck, but you never know, stranger things have happened.

If I wasn't going to pitch a fit I'd definately take the whole truck to him and have him fix it, next time I'd go ape sh!t on somebody. Enough is enough. It is a cheap price on a trans rebuild. Around here it's $500 and up for a th350 rebuild. The kits are only like $75-150 and most have all new clutches, band, seals, gaskets, washers and bushings, filter, adjustible modulator and such. SO basically he'd doing maybe $75 or so in parts(probably has a bulk discount) and the rest is labor. Basically he's making a 2hundred dollar profit pretty much.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
jake wells
Account Suspended

return that junk transmittion and purchase a high quality rebuilt jasper they have wonderful warranties.
jake wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:19 PM   #7
dropd80s

We ran into this with my brothers TH350. Pulled the trans and had it rebuilt. About a week later it was slipping. Took it in and had them install another one this time. When we got it back they said that the rebuilt converters loose a little material when they are cut apart and put back together. Thus, if you bolt it straight back to the flexplate it will pull the converter out of the pump. The rule he said they use is with the converter fully engaged in the pump, if you can fit three washers between it and the flexplate use two, if you can fit one use none, ect. I have never heard this anywhere else but it makes sense and it has worked flawlessly ever since.
dropd80s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #8
ratty 46

It's a given that people are human & mistakes can be made but ... lets be real - two rebuilds from the same guy ... don't get that third strike!!!

Get a trans from a national company like Monster Transmission in Fla. or something from Summit.

Yes it'll cost more initially but then again - what's your time worth if yo keep changing transmissions out??

Best of luck.

RAtty 46
ratty 46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #9
clinebarger

Get your money back & go to a different shop. I cant believe he told you to reuse the converter!

Are you flushing the lines & cooler every time?
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
bitchin85

im going to see the guy tomorrow and hes gonna drive it.. then well talk about what is going to be done... all i did with the lines is put the air gun on one line, held a bottle over the other one and blew some/most of it through.. im just tired of swapping trannys every weekend.. i mean, heck its good practice, i can have one in and out in about 4 hours now haha but im getting sick of it. thanks for the advice guys ill let you know what happens tomorrow
Old 07-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #11
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

You need one built by my builder. I'm not afraid to put my foot in it. Works great. Costs...well not cheap.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:28 AM   #12
jrcaprai

It will be worth it in the long run to spend some $$$ Buy a Hughes http://www.hughesperformance.com/

OR a http://www.ptcrace.com/ and be done with it!
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Anyone who rebuilds transmissions should be able to do a TH350 in their sleep. I would find someone else.

Slonaker
Old 07-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #14
bitchin85

well i paid the tranny guy a visit today.. took my dad with me this time. hes been building motors/racing since before he could walk. i told him what was going on with it and he jumps right in, puts his foot on the brake and starts revin it up in gear.. testing it i guess? anyways he gets out and says "yeah thats not right.." well i asked him what was wrong with the first one(the one with the radical shift kit that was AWESOME till reverse went out..) and he said in all his 30 years of building trannys, he never seen anything like it, the snap ring holding the reverse clutch broke and the reverse went out.. the one in my truck now, he said he thinks the pump is going bad because you can hear it whining too when driving it.. sounds like a geardrive.. well we worked out a deal and even if you guys are right, and he is a moron, i really have nothing to lose.. he felt bad that i had such bad luck so he said he went back through the built one and HES going to put it back in and cover all the fluids and such at no cost. so im droppin it off friday and picking it up saturday morning.

well if anything else, all this has taught me some patience and hey, im gettin pretty dam good at swapping trannys lol. After the second try, i should have put it all together with zip-ties until i knew it would work for more then a week.. then do it right haha
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 AM   #15
78swest

th350s are easy everything is on one shaft ....you could do it yourself easily
78swest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
benoit454
Chris

that's good support and motivation, I plan to do a th350 out of the 84 c10, take it apart and get familar with it since it's not working right. Then maybe rebuild it.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
OJOE
Crew Cut

maybe i missed it in here some where, i am sure you flushed out the old converter and you know your trans lines and rad is full of metal. without flushing out, all the metal just goes back into the next trans
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
Chlsnk

Don't feel bad I had my fair share of things go wrong when trying to get my current transmission rebuild they can be a PITA.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
jrcaprai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoe View Post
maybe i missed it in here some where, i am sure you flushed out the old converter and you know your trans lines and rad is full of metal. Without flushing out, all the metal just goes back into the next trans
very good point!!!!
jrcaprai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #20
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

i went though a few trannys in my day. first one just wore out, no biggie, dropped it in the driveway, didnt notice that when i let the vacuum line hang down, it fell in the only dirt pile and got clogged... killed the trans in a few days.. gay. That rebuild held up for a while untill i put the built 496 in there... after dropping a bunch on a baller transmission and skimping on the tq converter.... i shattered the input turbin on the tq converter... lols. upgraded from the carbon steel insert to something better.
all in all you get what you pay for..

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress

Last edited by 87chevy.com; 07-13-2010 at 11:44 PM.
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote