The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Indy72

serpentine belt

Im wanting to convert my 72 350 to a serpentine belt.What all do I need and who sell's it? Thank's
Indy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #2
project67-stepside

Re: serpentine belt

u can get a kit from the dealer for around 900< or gm parts direct, or junkyard
project67-stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
Sammy

If you installed the entire setup the same as the year and assy as the vehicle you removed it from you use that as as to what size you need. If not then it is almost trial and error. Use a string or rope putting it around the direction of all the componets to get a size (length) of what you think will work. Go to a parts place like Napa or someone with a decent parts person. They should guide you thru the ballpark sizes. They are in metric MM's. I got 3 belts to save time using that method and ended up using the longest one. Any decent parts guy should have a huge selection of sizes.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
vasquezmrysvll
"the other guy"

iv done it twice now, once on my 85 iroc using all acc. from 88-92 v8 f-body. iv most recently done it using all accessory that came with my 95 1500 350, just remember that MOST stock serp systems use a reverse rotation water pump.my system is bare bones-alt,ps pump,wp, stock idler pulley, and an a/c bypass pulley purchased form auto zone for about 40 bucks. bolts right up
and works great!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasquezmrysvll View Post
iv done it twice now, once on my 85 iroc using all acc. from 88-92 v8 f-body. iv most recently done it using all accessory that came with my 95 1500 350, just remember that MOST stock serp systems use a reverse rotation water pump.my system is bare bones-alt,ps pump,wp, stock idler pulley, and an a/c bypass pulley purchased form auto zone for about 40 bucks. bolts right up
and works great!
Thats what I used a 95. Got a new water pump and used the 95 P/S pump with the 72 hose fitting. That way you don't have to deal with finding hoses.

You want to get the pulleys, brackets, bolts, you may not use all the 95 bolts, Ps pump. Alt, with the wiring, fan and clutch or an electric fan. A/C delete pulley or an ac pump. you willneed to buy a new belt and thats trial and error to get one that fits.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
vasquezmrysvll
"the other guy"

when i bought my belt i asked for one for 95 1500 5.7 w/o a smog pump. stock belt, later i added mt 062 vortec heads and all acc brackets bolted right up gotta love chevy. also used my ps pump fitting (like dwcsr)from my 250 and hose!