The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #1
CVA59

Suspension Question (again)

I know this has been covered numerous times but i want to make sure i understand. I have a 64 SWB 1/2 ton that is all factory stock. I want to convert it to 5 lug power disc brakes. However, i have some concerns about the track width. How much wider will the track width be after the conversion? I will be running 15x8 wheels. I plan to use the complete front and rear suspension from a 1968-1972 1/2 ton donor truck with 5 lug power disc brakes. Any ideas thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Zack
CVA59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
raycow

Re: Suspension Question (again)

There are a couple of issues you may need to know about before you go parts hunting. First, front disc brakes weren't supplied as standard equipment until 71. 70 and earlier had drums all around. Second, 71-72 rear axles are 1-1/2" wider than the earlier rears. Unfortunately, I never measured the track width on the fronts to see if that changed at the same time as the rears did. Strangely, some 70s also had the wider rears, and these trucks had 6 lugs and no discs.

If it helps any, the rears are 62" and 63-1/2" over the drums.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 07-13-2010 at 01:27 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
CVA59

Thanks Ray,
I found a 1972 that is complete with the 5 lug front disc brakes and the 5 lug rear end. I was thinking of changing out the complete rear end since it will bolt right back in place. I was also wanting to to the same on the front end, swap crossmember and all out. I just do not like the look where the tires are sticking out right at the edge of the fenders. Of course, 3/4" per side is not bad really. Maybe i can make of the 3/4" in the wheel rear spacing.

Next Question: Is a 1972 (5 lug disc) front end the same track width as a 73-87 (5 lug disc) ?

Also, If i keep my current stock suspension and i install the 6 lug spindles and rotors. Will that change the track width from stock?

I know some think i am being a bit picky but I am very picky on this. I want my truck retain its original stock appearance.

Thanks guys,
Zack

Last edited by CVA59; 07-13-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVA59 View Post
Thanks Ray,
I found a 1972 that is complete with the 5 lug front disc brakes and the 5 lug rear end. I was thinking of changing out the complete rear end since it will bolt right back in place. I was also wanting to to the same on the front end, swap crossmember and all out. I just do not like the look where the tires are sticking out right at the edge of the fenders. Of course, 3/4" per side is not bad really. Maybe i can make of the 3/4" in the wheel rear spacing.

Next Question: Is a 1972 (5 lug disc) front end the same track width as a 73-87 (5 lug disc) ?

Also, If i keep my current stock suspension and i install the 6 lug spindles and rotors. Will that change the track width from stock?

I know some think i am being a bit picky but I am very picky on this. I want my truck retain its original stock appearance.

Thanks guys,
Zack
A) If you get aftermarket wheels, you can definitely play around w/the back-spacing. Certain manufacturers allow more variance vs. others.
B) 71-87 have the same track width dimensions & are wider than 63-70 drum brake trucks.
C) 6-lug spindles & rotors from what? Swapping from drum to disc increases the track width unless you use CPP's modular spindles specifically designed to minimize track width increase (@ a cost).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
michael bustamante

once you know that the width is different, youll always notice it. I was going to run 6 lug disc so I wouldnt have to change the rear but It got pointed out to me that the front end was now wider than the rear and It always bugged myu after so swap the front and the rear, youll be happier, as for width preference, play with the backspacing if you go aftermarket,
Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
CVA59

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info. I may just stay with all my stock suspension and rebuild it. The older i get the more and more i prefer the original stock equipment, LOL.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
raycow

Quote:
If i keep my current stock suspension and i install the 6 lug spindles and rotors. Will that change the track width from stock?

There are two 6 lug rotors that will work on 2WD trucks. One is an aftermarket part that is dimensionally identical with the factory 71-87 5 lug rotor except for the lugs. It will not work with your stock spindles.
You must swap to the 71-87 spindles in order to use it, so you will end up with the same track width as the stock 5 lug trucks.

The other 6 lug rotor is a factory part used on 88-98 3/4 ton "light duty" trucks. This one requires 88-98 spindles, and those require 3/4 ton lower control arms because of the ball joint size. I have no clue what the track width will be with this setup.

Both of these swaps are covered in considerable detail in this rather lengthy but very informative thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=367260

I agree with you about not caring for the "tires sticking out of the fenders" look, but I think we are in the minority here. This look seems to be quite popular with a large segment of our hobby.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
SCOTI

Increased track width is most apparent when running the same wheel/tire combo on the front & rear. If you stagger the F/R widths, the increase is easily hidden. 6-7" fronts w/some 8-10" rears & the right back-spacing & it won't be that noticeable.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
CVA59

If i stay with my stock suspension (which at this point i probably will). I just don't want to get away from a stock look.

1. Can i put power steering to my stock suspension? If so, what sector can i use?

2. Can i put power brakes to my stock drums? If so, what booster and MS can i use?

Thanks,

Last edited by CVA59; 07-13-2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
michael bustamante

I did both on my 67 no problem, If youre running a small block just find a doner. and the gear box from a doner as well up to 77. 78 and up went to metric thread, if you use this just get an adaptor from napa. brake mooster is easy too just get the set up from a doner up to 72 and it bolts right in, be sure and get the arm that hooks up to the pedal too
Old 07-13-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
DKN

Factory drum brakes are about 1/2" more narrow each side than factory disc brakes.

Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #12
CVA59

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
I did both on my 67 no problem, If youre running a small block just find a doner. and the gear box from a doner as well up to 77. 78 and up went to metric thread, if you use this just get an adaptor from napa. brake mooster is easy too just get the set up from a doner up to 72 and it bolts right in, be sure and get the arm that hooks up to the pedal too
Are you saying for the steering sector it has to be 73-77 1/2 ton truck or does it have to be a particular vehicle?

A 72 is the only year that will work for the brake booster?

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
DKN

CPP makes booster kits for all years. The 6772 kit uses the same booster set up. There are many different part # steering boxes. All of them will bolt up the same. The differences are metric & SAE hose connections, and differnt input spline size & teeth count. CPP stocks all the varius sizes. You can also find adapters at several parts stores.

Danny Nix
CPP
DKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #14
michael bustamante

Quote:
Are you saying for the steering sector it has to be 73-77 1/2 ton truck or does it have to be a particular vehicle?

A 72 is the only year that will work for the brake booster?

Thanks,
p steer gearbox. 73-77 chevy half ton and 3/4 ton. they all bolt right in so do the others up to 87 I believe but like I said youd have to buy line adaptors. 71-72 on the brake booster as far as I know for a bolt in
the frame on a 67 doesnt have the dimple on the frame for the lump on the gearbox so get a torch and a 2 pound sledge

Last edited by michael bustamante; 07-14-2010 at 06:18 PM.
michael bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote