The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
AJLChase

My 03's stance

O.k., I love my 67-72 model trucks. My 03...that's a different story. I got a real good deal on it, but haven't really been in love with it or anywhere close to that. I'm debating on whether or not I want to sell it and use the money towards paying off things or spending the money to put a lift on it. That's the main reason why I don't like the truck is that it sits so low and looks so plain. Who knows, I could put a lift on it and still not like it. So......

Any recommendations on lifts you've used on this model, did you do the install yourself or professionally? Any things to keep in mind or watch out for when researching lifts?

Thanks!
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #2
1tonswb
Account Suspended

Re: My 03's stance

I think you need to decide on if your gonna keep the truck or not. If you are then what do you use it for? If you tow/load things daily then a tailgate that is a foot higher can be a real hinderance.

There are alot of lifts out there for the IFS chevys. Depending on how high you wanna go can be anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. For a basic 6 inch kit with a standard wheel/tire combo will cost you about 3-4k depending on if you install it yourself or pay a professional. Keep in mind that parts that are shot like idler and pitman arms (common wear items on IFS chevys) will ad to the cost also.

As far as install, there not that bad. I install these kits daily so to me they are pretty easy. But to the average person that has never done one before they are pretty complex. If you dont have a set of torches or a welder then let someone else do it. Keep in mind that you will need a alignment also.

If it were me in your shoes, Id put some leveling keys in it, align it, and some 285's on it and call it done.
1tonswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
AJLChase

Thanks for your advice.

I read up about the torsion keys and just for an idea I jacked up the bars about 1 1/2 inches just to see how it looked. It looks nicer, but like polishing a turd nicer. I mainly would only be getting this lift for looks as I'm a pretty visual guy. I've seen some jacked up chevys that look great and are a night a day difference to the stock chevys.

As far as the install, I hate paying people to do work for me. If it's at all possible I'd love to do it myself as I would actually learn from it. I've noticed Rough Country has two different 6" lift kits and through reading through the pdfs it looks difficult but not impossible. As far as rims, I don't really care what those look like because I'd want them just blacked out anyways.

With out taking credit away from these forums, are there any other forums you guys would recommend for advice on lift kits and 4 x 4s?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
1tonswb
Account Suspended

I can understand you wanting to do the work yourself. After all, thats how we all learn. If you do decide to do a 6 inch kit then go with a knuckle kit instead of a bracket kit. Knuckle kits are ALOT easier to install and there is alot less cutting involved.

Depending on if your truck is a 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton is gonna narrow your choices down on lifts. Fabtech, RCD, superlift are all pretty good kits. Remember, the cheaper the kit is, the more complex and the harder it will be to install.

As far as other 4wheel drive sites...... I really dont like to plug another sites. But, do a google search and something will come up.
1tonswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
Rollinsqrbdy

FullSize Chevy.com has alot of useful stuff when it comes to newer model 4x4s. Ive been on their lately and am learning ALOTTT. I have a2006 with a 6'' lift and 35's. I'll post a pic later. Ohhh i forgot, Go into the offroading section of Full Size. Thats where all the info is
1984 k 10 Silverado...6" lift with 38.5 super swampers
New Mexico Member
--- Member of the Square Body Club---

Last edited by Rollinsqrbdy; 07-20-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Rollinsqrbdy is offline   Reply With Quote