The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Nedwinters

3 Speed on the floor

I have a '65 Chevy and I want to change out the 3 speed on the column to a 3 speed on the floor. Is it just a matter of cutting a hole in the floor and bolting the shifter to the transmission and changing the linkage? Is there anyone who has done this?
Nedwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: 3 Speed on the floor

your on the right track,but you need to buy the shifter that is designed for a 65 Chevy! It should come with the instructions, your talking xpensive if you buy a Hurst.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've done it numerous times. It's really not very difficult. Generally the shift arms either need to be replaced with new arms from the kit, or they need to be turned over so they point up instead of down. If the shift arms attach to the older design splined shift shafts (in the side cover), a new groove may need to be ground into the shift shaft for the clamping bolt. The newer design arms have a rectangular hole which corresponds with a matching shape on the shift shaft and are retained with a nut. Changing arms on this design is simply a matter of unbolting and reattaching in the correct orientation. A shifter bracket is bolted to the transmission, and the shifter assembly bolted together and adjusted.

Use caution when marking the floor hump for cutting the shifter hole. Try to locate the center of the hole, drill it, then check from above to make sure it's in the right place before cutting it out just big enough for the shifter.

If you have loop pile carpet, DO NOT try drilling holes through it. Either remove the carpet first or punch or cut the holes before drilling the floor. Drilling through loop carpet will snag a thread peeling out a strip of carpet loops clear across the floor.

Here's another thread that has a lot of valuable information:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=428340

I agree, Hurst shifters are expensive - and worth it. Some of the cheap shifters aren't much more reliable than the column shifter.

Last edited by markeb01; 07-15-2010 at 02:23 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
geezer#99

I just put a Mr. Gasket #7667A shifter in mine. Works great. We swapped it from my old truck a 67 GMC into my 65 c10. The new owner of my 67 (geezer#199) a good friend needed the 3OTT so he could get collector insurance. I'll include some pics for you. Markeb01 is right about the carpet. Hardest part of job is playing with the carpet for shifter hole and boot. My floor shifter has an 18" tall shifter and clears the bench nicely. This shifter is priced from 60 to 100 bucks on ebay. Hurst makes a 3 speed Mystery Shifter but not for the non-synchro tranny in the 65.
If you decide to go this route post again or pm me and I'll help you through it. Underside pics are of the 67. Different emergency brake setup but shifter still fits on the 65 with plenty of room.
Attached Images

geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
ol Curt

Mine fit great and I love it.

Name:  From Camera_10_08 237.jpg
Views: 2626
Size:  30.8 KB
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
Nedwinters

Thanks guys. This is really helpful. I was under the truck last night and noticed that the linkage connected to the transmission on the driver's side of the truck...will I be able to get a floor shift that mounts to the top of transmission, which would be close to center of the cab?

Also, I am trying to get my tags for the truck and Texas requires that I have it inspected first. The signal switch is broken on the column I have and I need to have signal lights to pass inspection. I am going to replace the column later, but for now I bought a signal switch that bolts to the outside of the column. I am trying to wire it in but none of the new wiring matches the existing wiring coming down from the column.....has anyone ever done this and if so do you have a wiring diagram I could use?

FYI. This is my first rodeo so I am going to ask a lot of questions. Thanks for you help and your patience.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
geezer#99

Sorry. No shifters to put it square in the middle. Could be done if you had the skills to mod some existing brackets. I could move mine a couple inches ahead if I drilled some new holes.
If you decide to go with the shifter I used I have an extra bent shifter linkage arm so you can make a matched one. I'd send it to you. Easier than figuring it out yourself.
For wiring diagrams look in the electrical section or the FAQ's area.
And just keep asking ?'s. It's my entertainment. I'm retired. LOL!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
K-TEN

Ned, there's a switch on the lower column for the directionals. Check to see if that is wired and working properly. You can purchase a new on from many of the vendors-Jim Carter American Classic etc.
It is located under the dash on the column and has a slide switch in it. Several wires go to it. Check it out first. Also parts for your diectional pieces in the upper column, under the wheel can be purchased as well. You may not need a new column. Just take you time and diagnose and repair.
K-TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
Nedwinters

Thanks again guys.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

I have a 3 speed floor linkage- no shifter arm- just the linkage if you are interested.

Last edited by DPowers; 07-19-2010 at 02:12 PM.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
Nedwinters

I think I will take you up on that offer. Let me know how much.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #12
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Here is pic- Will PM you
Attached Images

DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
geezer#99

That shifter is the same as mine. Only diffy is my tranny is the old non-synchro 4 bolt side cover that uses different shift arms that are similiar to the stock ones. It'll work with the right parts though.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
Turkey

Mine keeps getting stuck in 1st gear. Worked fine for about 2 weeks. I pulled away from a stop sign in my neighborhood and it wouldn't shift out of first. Ive been under the truck for a quick inspection and everything looks ok. I just can't get it out of 1st??
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkey View Post
Mine keeps getting stuck in 1st gear. Worked fine for about 2 weeks. I pulled away from a stop sign in my neighborhood and it wouldn't shift out of first. Ive been under the truck for a quick inspection and everything looks ok. I just can't get it out of 1st??
Do you have the same kind of shifter?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #16
Turkey

I think it's a spectre. I was able to spend some time and get it working again this afternoon. I found the paperwork and it just says universal 3 speed floor shifter installation. No real brand name on the paperwork for some reason. I guess it's what you get will el cheapo.
Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 PM   #17
66redw/white
made in america

Quote:
this happened to my truck right after i bought it. it ended up being the clutch disc. but it could be your clutch just needs to be adjusted

1964 c10-283 powerpack, 3 on the tree

2004 corvette- lowered, borla, tuned. slow

my old girl
1966 c10- 305v8, t-5 sold
66redw/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
geezer#99

Quote:
I think it's a spectre. I was able to spend some time and get it working again this afternoon. I found the paperwork and it just says universal 3 speed floor shifter installation. No real brand name on the paperwork for some reason. I guess it's what you get will el cheapo.
In the pic of the shifter from DPowers you can see the centre bolt that goes right thru the shifter arms and the main body of the shifter and has a nut on the other side. This bolt keeps the shifter mechanism tight. When it loosens off the shifter becomes sloppy and when you shift the arm doesn't pull it out of first.
The cure!!! Drill a hole thru the nut and bolt and install a cotter key. Tighten the shifter up first to take out the slop. You can see the thru bolt in my pic. The second from the top. You can just barely see the cotter key. I beleive your spectre shifter is the same. I think I drilled it to a 1/8 inch size.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Rfhimes

HOw do you guys get your back up lights to work after making the transition from the tree to the floor? Thanks, Rick
Rfhimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #20
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

If you’re using a Hurst shifter, they offer a bolt on switch kit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/huu-2480003
Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 AM   #21
MikeS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfhimes View Post
HOw do you guys get your back up lights to work after making the transition from the tree to the floor? Thanks, Rick
What backup lights? (not all of our trucks came with them.)
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote