The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
chevymotocross

How many of you are running longer bolts in place of the factory studs for camber?

I'm installing the Western Chassis 4/6 kit. Back is done. Front is all apart and I installed all new Moog parts and painted everything. Well, the front is actually going to be a bit lower since sport truck direct is having lots of issues with Western Chassis. They are sending my Belltech 2'' springs so it's really going to be a 4.5/6.

The factory setup uses lots of shims on the upper control arm. I know for a fact after installing those 2'' springs, there will be negative camber. I don't see how more shims can be added since the factory stud is almost completely filled.

I know Moog sells an offset piece for the UCA but I didn't want to go that route. I heard of some of you, not many, installing 1/2 x 4 grade 8 bolts in place of the factory studs. Well, that's what I installed.

Here is the issue I see happening though. I installed them fine, but I actually had to climb under the truck, wedge a ratchet in between the frame rail to back up the bolt while I zipped on the nut. I really hope the alignment guy won't refuse to align my truck because of this. I guess it was either factory studs, and not a good alignment, or these longer bolts.

I actually went with the longer bolts since last time I had my truck aligned, the alignment guy snapped a factory stud, and he replaced it with a longer grade 8 bolt.

So, are you guys running this setup? Did I even have to bother with all that?
Old 07-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: How many of you are running longer bolts in place of the factory studs for camber

Mine aligned with the factory studs, but I did just cut my spring instead of replacing it.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

Re: How many of you are running longer bolts in place of the factory studs for camber

what types of issues are they having with WC?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68GMCCustom View Post
what types of issues are they having with WC?
According to Sport Truck Direct, WC has changed management, and had not been keeping in contact with STD. They have ran out of several suspension components (including coils), and this was well over a month ago. Still no progress.

Here is why I'm upset with Sport Truck Direct. First, I understand it isn't their fault for WC's issues. BUT, during the time of order, I was not notified that these coils would be on backorder (for well over a month, and STILL on backorder). Also, after they learned of the issues, they should have contacted me and others regarding the issue and alternatives. Instead, I was waiting, not having any clue of the situation, and it took a phone call from me, after many weeks, to hear "we can send you Belltech springs for the price difference". THEY should have contacted me! Well in advance. So instead, I have a truck that has been on jackstands for well over a month, delaying body work, which has as a result, put my paint job on hold until next year since I will be leaving for military training at the end of August. On top of this, I still had to wait for the Belltech's (and still am!), because they have to get approval first from WC that they will be canceling their orders from them! UNBELIEVABLE!

To sum it up, Sport Truck Direct should have notified me, and others, regarding the issue so we could have set up an alternative solution. Very upset!

Last edited by chevymotocross; 07-18-2010 at 12:07 AM.
chevymotocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #5
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

I have 3" drop coils and I still have some room for alignment shims
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #6
nlped

I have put 2" drop coils on several of these trucks and haven't had any issue getting the alignment dead on. But it does suck that they have drug a$$ on your order, that's poor customer service!

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote