The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
MVHandy

Installed Skip White Dist, now I have a related question

Okay, I installed the new Skip White distributor and it works great, after I got the plug wires on right. I accidentally switched 6and8 at the dist. I was going to use a points conversion and then realized for a few bucks more that the cheapest Accel or Pertronix points eliminator Skip White has a complete new HEI distributor.

In looking over the rest of the vacuum system I heard leakage and found this gizmo cracked. Can anyone tell me what it is so I can track down the replacement?

I also seem to have some vacuum hoses that need attention, can anyone point me at a vacuum hose diagram for a 72 Cheyenne with the 350 4 barrel? If not I'll just have to get to the library Saturday to look for a Chilton's manual.
Attached Images

MVHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
MVHandy

Re: Installed Skip White Dist, now I have a related question

Forgot to add:

I hate to throw anything away, if anyone can use these I have the complete points type distributor, cap and wires sitting on the tool cart. Anyone who wnat them can have them, either pick up in central NJ or pay for shipping.
MVHandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
john
member #16

That looks like the vacuum solenoid for the TCS. (transmission controlled spark) Most people take them off. All they do is allow vacuum advance only in high gear and when engine is at operating temp.

Last edited by john; 07-21-2010 at 04:40 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
dznucks

Dont know how much research you did on skip white dizzy's. they are good with the exceptions of a few things you need to check.

check dizzy ends shaft play, all three of the ones i went through needed .010-.020" of shims.

Also pay attention to the posts that the spring hook to, under the rotor. they are barely tack welded in place and are prone to becoming loose or coming out. i would carefully tack them better than they already are, if you had a welder. but pay attention to how much you tack them, cause you may throw the thing out of balance.

Keep your reciept and print out your bank account or paypal transaction. thats what they require you to have when it goes bad and you need to swap it out. its not a matter of if it goes bad, but when it goes bad.

If you notice your timing mark bouncing around, give them a call and they will swap it out. they have great customer service.

Last edited by dznucks; 07-21-2010 at 06:15 PM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Jwill41

I wish I would have read this or done some research. I bought a SW dizzy a few weeks ago but have not installed it in anything yet. I guess its ok as I just bought it to have a spare around.

67 1/2 ton GMC short step side
68 1/2 ton Chevy long fleet side
72 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban
99 1/2 ton Chevy Suburban

founder (and only member) of the primer/clearcoat club
Jwill41 is offline   Reply With Quote