The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-25-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
s102000

need help with a booster bracket

This is my 2nd post and I already need some help..On my 69 GMC, I don't think the brake booster bracket on the fire wall is original to the truck...It has a 72 front end with disc brakes...The elder friend I bought the truck from can't remember what year the bracket came from or if it is the original, seems he told me a long time ago that the booster came from a car..So I'm hoping you guys can help..

I'm needing to buy a new booster, so I went to autozone and ordered one (booster, mc combo) for a 72...I looked on their website and the part number for the booster is the same from 69 to 72 but the booster will not line up with the mounting holes on the bracket..

The two top horizontal holes on the top of the bracket measure 3 3/8" hole to hole...The booster mounting studs measure 3 3/4" center of stud to center...The vertical studs, holes line up..Thanks for any help..

Name:  DSCF1307.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  49.5 KB
s102000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: need help with a booster bracket

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
This is my 2nd post and I already need some help..On my 69 GMC, I don't think the brake booster bracket on the fire wall is original to the truck...It has a 72 front end with disc brakes...The elder friend I bought the truck from can't remember what year the bracket came from or if it is the original, seems he told me a long time ago that the booster came from a car..So I'm hoping you guys can help..

I'm needing to buy a new booster, so I went to autozone and ordered one (booster, mc combo) for a 72...I looked on their website and the part number for the booster is the same from 69 to 72 but the booster will not line up with the mounting holes on the bracket..

The two top horizontal holes on the top of the bracket measure 3 3/8" hole to hole...The booster mounting studs measure 3 3/4" center of stud to center...The vertical studs, holes line up..Thanks for any help..

Attachment 614250
That is an original style bracket. called a bell crank a delco booster should fit. We put these kits together all the time they are 3.3/8In
you may have gotten a Bendix booster. do you have the old booster. you can tell by looking at them what you have. Most Bendix's were black and Delco Moraines were anodized. The delco's also had the female part of the housing to the front like pic
Attached Images

Last edited by mbgmike; 07-25-2010 at 04:45 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
s102000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbgmike View Post
That is an original style bracket. called a bell crank a delco booster should fit. We put these kits together all the time they are 3.3/8In
you may have gotten a Bendix booster. do you have the old booster. you can tell by looking at them what you have. Most Bendix's were black and Delco Moraines were anodized. The delco's also had the female part of the housing to the front like pic
Thanks for the reply...The combo I got is the delco, like a dummy I turned in the old booster for the core...I should have waited to see if it was the right one...How can I tell before ordering that it is the right one, most websites and parts stores don't have that description / measurement?...The old one was black but I think it had been painted, it was more rounded like your picture..

Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
s102000

mbgmike has me in the right direction

Can anyone add to Mike's reply.

Thanks...
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #5
71 super

The bracket set for both the bendix and moraine are the same. Try loosening the brackets on the studs at the firewall, sometimes it is even ness. to take them completely loose, attach to the booster then reattach to the firewall. That should solve your problem, but I have also had to widen the holes a bit on the brackets to install a "new" moraine that I put on a friends 71, but took this as the exception rather than the rule as it was the first time this had happened to me. Hope this helps, Harold
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
s102000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
The bracket set for both the bendix and moraine are the same. Try loosening the brackets on the studs at the firewall, sometimes it is even ness. to take them completely loose, attach to the booster then reattach to the firewall. That should solve your problem, but I have also had to widen the holes a bit on the brackets to install a "new" moraine that I put on a friends 71, but took this as the exception rather than the rule as it was the first time this had happened to me. Hope this helps, Harold
I'll give that a try and let you know how it goes, thanks Harold...
Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 AM   #7
62LS1

I saw that you turned in your old booster. Each of the pedal rods (rod between booster and brake pedal arm - which may be partially covered by the boot) has a number/letter, etc., stamped into the rod itself. The CARDONE brake catalog will cross that pedal rod ID to a part number, usually for both loaded and unloaded boosters. Loaded has the MC attached, unloaded is the booster by itself. The booster by itself is typically the best option as they are more commonly stocked at the parts house and then you can put the MC of your choice back in place. By that I mean drum/drum, disk/drum, or disc/disc. Not much help since you turned in the original, but it might help somebody else.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
s102000

Update: I've been talking to my elderly friend that I bought the truck from and he is thinking that the booster he put on there and the one I turned in for core a couple of weeks ago came off of a early to mid 70's impala...

I'm pretty sure the firewall bracket is not oringinal to the truck, because he said it had manual brakes on it when he first had the truck..Read my first post and see if you can help figure out maybe what booster will fit this bracket...

Thanks...
Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
Notrodder

It seems the easy solution would be to go to the salvage yard and get a truck bracket.
Notrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #10
KrazyRay

The 70 and older brackets are different than the 71-72 brackets. Your 69 bracket should put the booster approx. 3 1/2 inches from the firewall. The 71-72 bracket will put your booster approx. 5 1/2 inches from the firewall. I sell a bunch of these changeovers and the brackets are always needed with the 72 booster. In other words, a 72 booster does not go on a 69 bracket.
KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
s102000

another update: I found the 5" bracket at a local salvage yard, it came off of a 71, 72 not sure, the good news is I know it will work...It still had the booster, mc and the prop valve hooked up, it came off rather easy..I got it all for 20 bucks..I can use the booster and mc for my core...I'm not sure if I'll use the valve, I'll probably buy a new one of those..

It's weird still because all the parts store data base showed the same booster part number for 69 to 72...It could be that the 3" bracket was so out dated in the system that they put all those years together to fit the 5" bracket...That's the only thing I can think of that has happened...

Anyway thanks for all the replys and help...