The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Cluster mayhem

So i'm losing my mind with my clusters.....

first i had an unknown cluster (with the dudmmy lights instead of oil,vot and temp gugages) in my truck nothing worked... Dash lights included

than i put an 78ish cluster in dash lights worked...and temp does the full rotation on start up but never shows the temp?

got an 85 cluster and all hell broke lose....right turn signal stayed on, when you turned on the left blinker they both blinked... the dash lights work but are very very dim. gas guage seems to work but when you turn the head/park lights the gas guage goes to empty?

i think thats all the wacky stuff that happening.

anyone have any ideas or am i going to have to re wire this beast?
1tonchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Cluster mayhem

So you just plugged a different cluster in? Did not rewire for the new circuit board you introduced to it?

My daddy always told me, the trick to playing with wires is not to let the smoke out. Every wire is built with smoke inside it, never ever let it out.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #3
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
So you just plugged a different cluster in? Did not rewire for the new circuit board you introduced to it?

My daddy always told me, the trick to playing with wires is not to let the smoke out. Every wire is built with smoke inside it, never ever let it out.
lmao still aint seen no smoke just the steam coming out of my ears.... side note cluster was ****ed when i bought the truck maby they fried something?

Last edited by 1tonchevy; 07-28-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

If your truck was made with idiot lights, you can't just swap out the gauge cluster and it work. The sensors are different.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
If your truck was made with idiot lights, you can't just swap out the gauge cluster and it work. The sensors are different.
so back to idiot lights it is :S the guages look so much nicer tho....
Old 07-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Would not be a real hard task to upgrade. Sensors are fairly cheap and just double check the main connection pin out to be certain it is the same as one with lights only. You said you already had a cluster, that's the expensive part usually.

As far as your old one not working, have you checked fuses? Checked the bulbs? Does the gas gauge work? Signal indicators work? High beam indicator work?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Would not be a real hard task to upgrade. Sensors are fairly cheap and just double check the main connection pin out to be certain it is the same as one with lights only. You said you already had a cluster, that's the expensive part usually.

As far as your old one not working, have you checked fuses? Checked the bulbs? Does the gas gauge work? Signal indicators work? High beam indicator work?
Signals work, dash lights don't (original cluster) gas guage (on either cluster)high beam dosnt work (either cluster) e brake light does work.... it's very weird.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Have you tried changing the bulbs? I've also had the sockets go bad. Sounds like you got enough extras to work with though.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #9
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Have you tried changing the bulbs? I've also had the sockets go bad. Sounds like you got enough extras to work with though.
once i get the bed,gas tank,and drop installed the cab/wiring is my next big tackle.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
hopelessredneck

Dose any one have a wiring diagram for the harness that gose in to the cluster
hopelessredneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM   #11
Niterider

I have the same issue on my 85, the fuel gauge works until I pull the headlight switch. Could it be a bad ground? The speedometer works, gas gauge works, clock works, voltmeter works, but not the oil or water (which these could be sending units)
Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterider View Post
I have the same issue on my 85, the fuel gauge works until I pull the headlight switch. Could it be a bad ground? The speedometer works, gas gauge works, clock works, voltmeter works, but not the oil or water (which these could be sending units)
yeah it could be the ground some where...... but my gas guage dosnt work at all... and neither do my other guages.. well speedomerter because it's cable driven but the rest are no goes.... i just want some info for when im driving.... sespecially gas lmao.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:10 PM   #13
engineco713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niterider View Post
My 86 has oil pressure, amps, speedo, but temp pegs. When I turn on headlights I have no cluster lights and upon putting on high beams the door chime sounds. If I turn the cluster dimmer down on the headlight switch in goes down in volume. It seems like it's pretty FUBAR.
engineco713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineco713 View Post
My 86 has oil pressure, amps, speedo, but temp pegs. When I turn on headlights I have no cluster lights and upon putting on high beams the door chime sounds. If I turn the cluster dimmer down on the headlight switch in goes down in volume. It seems like it's pretty FUBAR.
it's got to be a ground issue..... well i duno about mine as the complete wire harrness tail lights to head lights has be hacked to ****.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #15
DBLSPRT68

OK, you have to be careful swapping guage clusters around. You can fry the wireing in the truck. Use this info for clusters also. http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/inte...achometers.htm You didn't mention what year your truck is? Also, like was said; to go from idiot lights to guages takes different sending units on the engine. Good luck.
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLSPRT68 View Post
OK, you have to be careful swapping guage clusters around. You can fry the wireing in the truck. Use this info for clusters also. http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/inte...achometers.htm You didn't mention what year your truck is? Also, like was said; to go from idiot lights to guages takes different sending units on the engine. Good luck.
sorry my trucks an 84.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBLSPRT68 View Post
Well i have the temp sensor (installed) from the guage truck and the oil press mechanical hook up (not installed) and the volt (not working)
Old 07-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #18
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

See if this helps you any at all in your travels. Yes I know it is upside down and part of the page of the 83 shows. Flip it, zoom and see if it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf DOC100729.pdf (36.1 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by RandyP; 07-29-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #19
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

is this the diagram you want ?they seem to shrink on here
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 07-29-2010 at 11:28 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #20
68 short step

good info
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #21
jdmaffeo

I did this to my truck. I went from the idiot light gauge cluster to the tach cluster with full gauges. You are going to have to do 4 things.

1st thing that you are going to have to do is trace each wire at the main harness plug and determine what it goes to and then label the wire. I used a volt meter to accomplish this task. The plug has a number for each wire 1-18 if I remember correctly.

2nd thing that you will have to do is look at the circuit board on the back of the new gauge cluster and determine several things. Each gauge and light has multiple pins etc. going thru the plastic into the cluster. You need to determine if it is a ground or an actual signal from the sender. In the case of the lights you will have a ground and a positive. Look at the harness that plug is on and determine the number that the the wire must be in for it to work correctly. I made 2 charts. One for the old cluster (in case it didn't work) and one for the new cluster. Once you have traced all the wires and the circuit board you will have to move some of the wires in the harness plug (fairly easy). Tracing the wires is a pain in the butt, but you have to do this. I had cut off a plug from a truck in a junk yard to have extra pins and the same color coded wiring if needed. I think I made a jumper wire for a ground wire that I needed.

3rd thing that I had to do was add an oil pressure sensor by the distributor that I got at a junk yard. A water temperature sensor (new). I added a resistor to the alternator wiring. This is needed because the bulb served as a resistor and once you have a gauge there is no resistance and my alternator wouldn't charge. There are no sensors to change for the fuel gauge.

4th thing is take your time. This project drove me crazy, but i like the finished product!
I hope this helps some...

Last edited by jdmaffeo; 08-09-2010 at 04:39 PM.
jdmaffeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #22
1tonchevy
C35 Crew Dually

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmaffeo View Post
I did this to my truck. I went from the idiot light gauge cluster to the tach cluster with full gauges. You are going to have to do 4 things.

1st thing that you are going to have to do is trace each wire at the main harness plug and determine what it goes to and then label the wire. I used a volt meter to accomplish this task. The plug has a number for each wire 1-18 if I remember correctly.

2nd thing that you will have to do is look at the circuit board on the back of the new gauge cluster and determine several things. Each gauge and light has multiple pins etc. going thru the plastic into the cluster. You need to determine if it is a ground or an actual signal from the sender. In the case of the lights you will have a ground and a positive. Look at the harness that plug is on and determine the number that the the wire must be in for it to work correctly. I made 2 charts. One for the old cluster (in case it didn't work) and one for the new cluster. Once you have traced all the wires and the circuit board you will have to move some of the wires in the harness plug (fairly easy). Tracing the wires is a pain in the butt, but you have to do this. I had cut off a plug from a truck in a junk yard to have extra pins and the same color coded wiring if needed. I think I made a jumper wire for a ground wire that I needed.

3rd thing that I had to do was add an oil pressure sensor by the distributor that I got at a junk yard. A water temperature sensor (new). I added a resistor to the alternator wiring. This is needed because the bulb served as a resistor and once you have a gauge there is no resistance and my alternator wouldn't charge. There are no sensors to change for the fuel gauge.

4th thing is take your time. This project drove me crazy, but i like the finished product!
I hope this helps some...
ok thanks. i'll have to tackle it some time soon. working on my drop and cab right now..