The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
502ss

Lowering dually, need advice

I just purchased an 84 crew cab 2wd dually. It's main purpose is to tow my 30' scarab boat but I want to lower it as much as possible while still maintaining function. I have read that you can't do a 6/8 without removing front inner fenders which I don't want to do. Can I get away with a 5/7 and not have to remove the fenders? For 7 in the rear I am guessing I still need to do a c-notch. Not sure of my tire combination yet, my plan is to let my clearance be the driver for which tires I go with. I do know the boat has about 800lbs of tongue weight so even lowered it still needs to carry some weight. Post some pics of different heights with a description of the height so I can see if a 5/7 will do!

Thanks
502ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
502ss

Re: Lowering dually, need advice

Anybody?
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I hate to direct you away from here,...
but there is a bunch of good info over at www.duallyscene.com.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
LOW1TON

Before I bagged my dually I had a 6/8 kit on it with 29" tall tires front and rear and never had any issues with the front inner fenders. I ran that set up for about 2 years before finally bagging the truck, as for the back you will for sure need a c-notch, and some load assist air bags for helping with the trailer weight. Here is a shot with the 6/8 kit.

these shots are before I lowered it at all.

Hope this will help.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #5
502ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW1TON View Post
Before I bagged my dually I had a 6/8 kit on it with 29" tall tires front and rear and never had any issues with the front inner fenders. I ran that set up for about 2 years before finally bagging the truck, as for the back you will for sure need a c-notch, and some load assist air bags for helping with the trailer weight. Here is a shot with the 6/8 kit.

these shots are before I lowered it at all.

Hope this will help.
Thanks for all the pictures! That's the exact stance and height I am looking for!

So you really think I will need bags in the rear? I haven't yet but tomorrow I plan to attach the boat and see how much she drops. Did you modify your spring pack? Any need to cut the bed floor for pumpkin clearance? Which drop kit did you use? Western chassis?

What size rims are those?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
502ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502ss View Post
Thanks for all the pictures! That's the exact stance and height I am looking for!

So you really think I will need bags in the rear? I haven't yet but tomorrow I plan to attach the boat and see how much she drops. Did you modify your spring pack? Any need to cut the bed floor for pumpkin clearance? Which drop kit did you use? Western chassis?

What size rims are those?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

So I hooked up the boat today and the rear only went down 1" do you think I still need helper bags if I do a 6/8 drop. Any idea how much suspension travel you get when you do a c-notch?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #7
menace121978

i love the tow pig! absolutely stunning

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
LOW1TON

My first drop was a western chassis kit and I did remove the overload spring from my spring pack only because it was broke. So if you still have an overload spring you might not need the bags in the back. Just keep in mind sitting still in the driveway and the weight of the trailer only dropping 1" is not the same as driving dowm the road and hitting a bump at 65mph. My wheels are 22" tires are 265/35/22 in the front and 265/40/22 in the rear. With the western chassis drop I did not have to cut the floor of my bed. If I had to guess I probably had about 2-1/2" of travel with the c-notch installed. If I hit something hard and fast enough it would still hit the bump stops. As you can see from the pictures I used to load my bike in the back and that was nearly 600lbs and never had any issues but after moving to Oklahoma I bagged the whole truck. Hope some of this will help.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
SKT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW1TON View Post

Awesome truck!

SKT is offline   Reply With Quote