The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
bobcostas

May I rant a moment?

WHAT IS UP WITH P.O's AND ELECTRICAL TAPE??

I just spent 2 hrs chasing down an electrical gremlin that would have otherwise been ten minutes. And now I'm all sticky. Good Lord. Wire nuts and zip ties are not that hard to come by.

That is all

"The oxen may be slow, but the Earth is patient"
bobcostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: May I rant a moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcostas View Post
Wire nuts and zip ties are not that hard to come by.
Wire nuts? I hope you aren't serious. DC current and wire nuts are not a good mix. If your cleaning up the PO's wiring mess, please use crimp connectors or better yet, solder and shrink tube any splices you can.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Bugeyev8

Harbor Freight has electrical tape so cheap...could be the reason, he bought it and had to use it some place
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree.....wire nuts are for house wiring. I'm usually ranting whenever I get into vehicle wiring and a bunch of wire nuts have been used

I don't like excessive electrical tape either......or duct tape on wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Wire nuts? I hope you aren't serious. DC current and wire nuts are not a good mix. If your cleaning up the PO's wiring mess, please use crimp connectors or better yet, solder and shrink tube any splices you can.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcostas View Post
WHAT IS UP WITH P.O's AND ELECTRICAL TAPE??

I just spent 2 hrs chasing down an electrical gremlin that would have otherwise been ten minutes. And now I'm all sticky. Good Lord. Wire nuts and zip ties are not that hard to come by.

That is all

Wire nuts in a 12V DC electrical system?
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #6
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

Ever try soldered connections and heat shrink? It beats wire nuts and scotch locks for a permanent connection.
How about this mess? I think it was 28 splices between the taillights after the plug-in at the rear bumper. I forgot how many different colors..
Name:  IMG_2427.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  56.1 KB
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:24 AM   #7
63rexC10
Real Greasers use "Murray's"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba327 View Post
Ever try soldered connections and heat shrink? It beats wire nuts and scotch locks for a permanent connection.
How about this mess? I think it was 28 splices between the taillights after the plug-in at the rear bumper. I forgot how many different colors..
Attachment 616026

Sorry, but that is the most ridiculous wiring I have ever seen!
63rexC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #8
nomrlz

that harness is just one reason i don't like electrical problems

solder irons must be expensive
nomrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:34 AM   #9
bubba327
HOW long until spring??

You know the crazy thing was the lights worked .... they were kinda dim and un-reliable but they worked until I pulled the bed and found the mess!!!
bubba327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
shrunken66stroker

Speaking of dim and unreliable. I didn't have much tape, but I did have a short before I tore mine apart. At night when the lights were on(and dim) I could turn the key off and the truck would still run. The engine would only shut off if I turned the lights off. If I kicked the brights on sometimes it would shut the lights off all together, which is fun at 65 on the freeway. I decided the only remedy was to do a frame off resto. When I tore the harness out there were quite a few things melted together. I'm just glad I didn't burn it down.

Last edited by shrunken66stroker; 07-31-2010 at 12:59 AM.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:22 AM   #11
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I had an electrical adventure in a 57 Chevy 1/2 ton, right after I bought it decades ago. Turned out there was a bare wire about a foot long going from the ignition switch to somewhere I can't remember. Hard acceleration through an intersection caused it to swing around and short on the dash, instantly filling the cab with blinding smoke. I snapped off the key, locked up the brakes, yanked on the emergency brake and we bailed out. Fortunately, once the smoke cleared out I found the wire had burned itself in two killing the power before the truck caught on fire. I seem to remember a lot of electrical tape in that rig as well. Like bobcostas said up front, makes you wonder about previous owners.....
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:10 AM   #12
andyh1956

i bought a truck the p/o said was "jinky". when you made a turn to the right it would stop running & he couldn't figure out what was wrong. long story short his son had skint the ign wire back & had alligator clips on it to another bare wire with gator clips for his ace stereo install. when making the turn the gator clip would ground out & short the ing. when stopped it would fire right up. when i returned the clips to the p/o he left post haste to find his son & kick his a$$!
andy
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

"wire nuts" are a great way to create an electrical gremlin in your ride. I'm not really a fan of the crimp connectors either, but I have used them to make a temporary or removable junction. My prefered method of connection has always been solder and heat shrink, but I will use electrical tape if the heat shrink is simply not an option. Only enough tape to cover the exposed connection, and I only keep the 3M super 33+ tape on hand (over $7 per roll here). I am also a big fan of zip ties for keeping wiring neat, never understood the desire to cover an entire harness in tape, just gross.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
astrochimp

My Po just wrapped the bare wires together and used lots of cheap tape.

I had a wire running from the bat + all the way around the engine bay back to the bat +.
It had 4-5 splices in it.

Also have a solid 12g wire ran from engine bay to rear frame for a ground. It had 18g ran from it to the tail lamp sockets.
astrochimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

ez wire, $250 full labelled harness with 21pin fuse block/flashers/etc, not even going to try and play with wiring that's 42 years old and has been tampered with by multiple owners, under my dash there were bare wires and tape all over, surprised it never lit up in flames driving it on and off the trailer, I don't get what goes through someones mind when leaving a bare electrical wire in the cab of a truck, especially one with a fancy fuel tank behind the seat hahahaha
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
ed70
is very serious

electrical tape+stereos+p.o= always an issue
1969 C-10 2wd fleetside LB 350 th350 - sold
1967 C-10 2wd fleetside LB 250 th400 -project in progress

Chevrolet=one who is dignified enough to expect every occasion is a special one and sees it fit to wear a bow tie... may others come under dressed.
ed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
shrunken66stroker

Are there more PO rant threads out there? I love these stories. I think the alligator clips takes it.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrunken66stroker View Post
Are there more PO rant threads out there? I love these stories. I think the alligator clips takes it.
Really?......I like the 'headlites to turn off the engine'!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #19
Ghostwhite
Squarebody guy

One of the last times I drove my truck before I left, the radio burst into flames! It was a junked out tape player probably from the 80s. I know the wiring was the culprit, it is crazy under the dash and will get torn out.

I did some work to get the lights working and the turnsignal switch assembly is a nightmare with wires spliced to hell and going everywhere, also out back there was about 4 different sections of wire from the rear wheel to the taillight housings.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
raycow

I also prefer soldered connections, with crimped a distant second. However, if I had to choose between wirenuts and tape, I would pick the wirenuts every time, because you don't get any compression on the splice with tape and I hate the sticky gunk that tape leaves.

Contrary to what some might believe, there is no problem with using wirenuts on 12V DC. The problem with wirenuts is that they just don't work very well with stranded wire.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #21
edflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed70 View Post
electrical tape+stereos+p.o= always an issue
HAA. So true...
And what are wire nuts?
I use for Crimped connections for everything. Never had an issue with anything I have done.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
murdoc

whys everyone hating on wire nuts!? Ive read the whole thread and haven't seen one good reason why not to use them. I use them a lot and have never had any issue with them.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #23
edflores

I never knew what wire nuts were called. Had to look it up. What is the problem with them? I have used them from time to time, but I will use a crimped union, or crimp on male and female spades, with the female side being insulated if I need them to ever come apart. My boss uses wire nuts for a lot of wiring he does. I'd like to know what the problem is, because he hasn't told me of any issues.
edflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
jocko

I'm no electricican, but have to agree that wire nuts may not be the connection of choice for automotive environment. They DO work, but they can also vibe loose if you drive much, no guarantee there's not exposed wiring at the base of the nut unless you're careful, etc - bottom line, they aren't exactly the best connection for a permanent type connection.

Having said that, I have normally used crimp connectors + soldering. But I don't exactly like the look of the colored crimp pipes - so I normally pull the plastic coloring off, then crimp and solder the metal part - then slide the heat shrink over and seal it around the whole thing (hopefully I remember to put the heat shrink up the line BEFORE I solder....)

Lately, however, I've started to use weather-pak connectors. By far the most secure and convenient. Not much more work than crimping - and it's handy in the case where a disconnect is desired (like all your dash wiring consolidated to a few connectors so it's easy to yank the dash - or for a tachometer quick-disconnect). Anyway, still use the crimp+solder+heat shrink for permanent connections, but in the case where a quick-disconnect might be nice AND it's out of sight (because wx-paks don't exactly look vintage...) - I use weather-pak connectors. They work great and you can purchase a pretty small starter kit that will get you going, then buy the specific connections you need. If you go this route, I do recommend the wx-pak specific ratcheting crimper, it makes quick work of the whole process.

My 2 cents. If I had any wire nuts left in my garage, I'd mail them to anyone that wanted them - but I do think they were primarily designed for house wiring and very heavy gauge wire twisting, not necessarily ideal for thin gauge automotive wiring.

jocko

Last edited by jocko; 08-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
6863m

I am putting in a new 21 circuit wiring harness in the 62 and I plan on using the same crimped fastners they have used. When I did my MG I thought it was cool to use the colored tape and did so. Now reading this that was not such a good idea.

What is the proper good looking way to do the wire runs. For me right now everything is exposed and easy to do the wiring.
6863m is offline   Reply With Quote