The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
Libertad
No Nonsense

Removing 3" Body Lift

I plan on removing the 3" body lift that I have on my K5. Any tips or hints that may make it easier for me would be appreciated. Do I need to purchase the stock mounts or bolt body directly to frame? What are the pros and cons using polyeurathane (sp)?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Removing 3" Body Lift

The body lift is just a spacer block between the bottom of the body and the stock rubber mounts. All you really need are bolts that are 3" shorter than the ones that are in there now. You will also have to address the transmission. How, depends upon what you have. On an automatic, you have to cut out the added section and weld it back together. On a 4 speed, the cut/reweld is in the linkage between the pedal and the bell-crank on the frame. The only other issue is the fule filler tube. Normally the rubber line is cut and a spacer tube is attached. This may or may not need to be addressed. As long as it doesn't kink, it should be ok to leave it alone. Everything else should be fine, the slack in the wiring will be fine, just be sure that you don't pinch anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
70 beast
Certified Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
The body lift is just a spacer block between the bottom of the body and the stock rubber mounts. All you really need are bolts that are 3" shorter than the ones that are in there now. You will also have to address the transmission. How, depends upon what you have. On an automatic, you have to cut out the added section and weld it back together. On a 4 speed, the cut/reweld is in the linkage between the pedal and the bell-crank on the frame. The only other issue is the fule filler tube. Normally the rubber line is cut and a spacer tube is attached. This may or may not need to be addressed. As long as it doesn't kink, it should be ok to leave it alone. Everything else should be fine, the slack in the wiring will be fine, just be sure that you don't pinch anything.
pretty much sums it up.

are you going to run the 39.5s?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
Libertad
No Nonsense

Thanks Long Horn. How many body mounts are there on a K5? Just dont want to miss one that may be hiding somwhere.

70Beast I plan on selling the 39.5's and putting my 38" Ground Hawg IIs on it.

Last edited by Libertad; 08-04-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

I think there are 10. I don't think that they are all the same length though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote