The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
texastrendz

porterbuilt install problem

does anyone have the measured length of the spacer that goes into the dropmember itself for the lower control arm. my bushings are not sucking all the way in the arm. i may have a problem with my arms, but the spacers are all diffrent lengths. i know they dont have to be perfect but mine are a little off from each other, thanks daniel. p.s. it will be for the newer version dropmember.
texastrendz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
texastrendz

Re: porterbuilt install problem

talk to nate, got a solution. you can delete this thread. when in doubt, call the man. daniel.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
Wild83C10

Why don't you post the solution/answer for others to see and for future reference. That is if anyone actually searches anymore.

383 MASS-FLO EFI/TKO II 600/3.90 Posi 10 bolt
S475 and C4 DM running, fine tuning
turbo=
Douchebag Racing: Runs Fine all the Time
Wild83C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 PM   #4
texastrendz

well, thought i had it and now i don't. the energy suspension bushings that i have i believe are the problem. the poly. bushing itself is actually about 3/16 shorter then the steel sleeve that goes inside of it. i tried putting it all together tonight and it will not pull the poly bushing up tight against the outer shell. the inner sleeve that comes with the energy suspension kit is exactly the right length as the porterbuilt insert for the drop member. the poly bushing is just short. i hate to hacking on stuff and run into a problem later. i know it is hard to under stand without a pic but it just got dark here in houston.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
texastrendz

has anyone installed factory arms with a dropmember with a poly bushing kit yet. i may need to buy rubber style lower bushings to correct this issue.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #6
mike14_07

had this problem on my pb upper arms, not a big deal talked to nate and he said grind them to match. but one of mine was good, and the other was a tad too long.
mike14_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #7
PBFAB.COM

He's running the factory 73-87 arms with poly bushings from energy suspension. Sounds like the bushings aren't the same dimension as the OEs.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #8
JNJchev77
Registered Cruiser

I'm currently running the drop member with factory arms and the black poly bushings... The only thing I had to do was trim down the inside portion on the bushing it self on the lower arm, with a grinder. Just so they would fit to the drop member!
JNJchev77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
SCOTI

I came across this w/some 'replacement' rubber bushings as well.

One manufacturers part seats until the lip of the bushing shell was flush w/the edge of the a-arms (fore & aft). The 2nd source would press in place but is 1/4" from being flush on the outer ends making it (IMO) 1/4" too long.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Mad Rods
Chevy Only Tx

I also am running 73-87 lowers with autozone black bushings just did a little grinding and alot of test fitting...don't wanna trim too much, better safe then sorry.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
texastrendz

the problem i think, the gold crush sleeve is the exact length of porters insert when in the dropmember. i do not see how this would even work with factory cross shafts. the bushing will not pull up tight to both surfaces. maybe i have the wrong poly bushing in my kit.?
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
texastrendz

the solution, i hope. i ran to the parts house and bought a moog bushing to see the difference. in the pic you can clearly see the thickness difference in the bushing from one to the next. this should resolve my issue. i will let yall know tommorrow if it works. to late tonight
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
texastrendz

man this thing is killing me, i had to grind down the brand new moog bushings so much that it is got me second guessing this route i have taken. i have posted a few photos to see if you guys think this is safe or not. I still had to beat them on. now the insert is sticking out the end of the bushing. i asked nate the what length the insert should be and he did not know at the time. does anyone have one out that they can measure. mine are all diffrent lengths since mine were a saw cut part and not machined. yes i can grind to fit but i would like to know what you guys got. any help would be great. daniel.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
texastrendz

i had to grind the brand new moog bushing so much that it has me worried. see photo. the inner bushing supplied by porterbuilt, too long, got me worried. see photo. what is right and what is wrong. can someone give me the dimension of the inner bushing they have since nathan at the time could not tell me, all four of mine are diffrent because they are saw cut and not machined. any help would be great at this point thanks daniel. p.s. he shipped me a regular washer to cover the end of the bushing, is this what you go in your kit. i don't think that is going to work.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
PBFAB.COM

Here's some sequential pics of a factory arm being installed on a simulated DM cross-shaft (I know how helpful pics can be). Keep in mind that over time, with removal and installation of the press-in factory bushings, the inside to inside measurements on the arms can vary. We have had them fit just right, and we have had to grind down the bushing/sleeve as well. Hope this helps. If it were mine, or in my shop, we would grind the control arm bushings down until it fit over the cross-shaft (12.75") and then grind down the sleeve so it fit flush with the inner crush sleeve on the control arm bushings. It shouldn't need to become an overcomplicated event.

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 08-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrendz View Post
p.s. he shipped me a regular washer to cover the end of the bushing, is this what you go in your kit. i don't think that is going to work.

If it's the 5/8 bore washer that came in the kit YES it will work.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
texastrendz

not overcomplicated, but trivial. lol, i just wanna make sure that is right the first time, i did exactly what you said before you said it and it seems to be ok. i was really concerned with bushing in the arm. the moog bushing in your pick looks to be ground the same as mine. do you have to ping the inside of the bushing like the factory? i ground your bushing to flush with the crush sleeve in the moog bushing. looks alot better now. i do not like the way the 5/8 washer sits on the outside of the bushing, does not center well on your threaded shaft, i will come up with a fix for that. i fill better now knowing what you say is correct and have had them on the road, once again nate,thank you. Daniel
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #18
texastrendz

got it totally together and the pics helped nate, thanks for posting this, i think it will help others also. once again nate A+ on customer service, it is great system once you get it dialed in. i am sure with your arms the system would have been a slide together system. me mixing old parts with new was the issue. thanks again daniel.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #19
PBFAB.COM

No sweat Daniel. Glad to help. Working on a Porterbuilt specific forum that will have all sorts of info specific to my products for both install and tech. information. It will become a great source for these types of scenarios... should be public this next week.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson