The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
454HO

unflipping my flip

Well I've finally had enough... I cannot use my truck for it's intended purpose - hauling stuff. The rear flip in conjunction with the light duty springs makes carrying anything over a few hundred pounds annoying. I have removed the bump-stops completly, but do not have a C-notch. The axle is starting to dent from hitting the frame so many times.

So tomorrow, the flip kit comes off!! I have a set of 7 leaf springs to put on in place of the light duty springs and I also have a set of BellTech rear shackles I can put on to give me a bit of drop back.

I understand that a short-bed can use the longer heavy duty springs by just moving the rear shackle mount back to another set of existing holes. Can anyone confirm this for me? I'm not looking forward to drilling/grinding out a dozen frame rivots, but if that is what it takes, so be it.

I'm wondering what it's going to look like with a 3" drop in front and a 2" drop in the rear with the heavy duty springs. Anybody have pics of a short-bed set up this way? Should have some rake, but I hope not too much.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
bigwheel15

Re: uflipping my flip

Why not just notch the frame? From what ive seen and read its really simple.
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO View Post
I understand that a short-bed can use the longer heavy duty springs by just moving the rear shackle mount back to another set of existing holes. Can anyone confirm this for me? I'm not looking forward to drilling/grinding out a dozen frame rivots, but if that is what it takes, so be it.

I'm wondering what it's going to look like with a 3" drop in front and a 2" drop in the rear with the heavy duty springs. Anybody have pics of a short-bed set up this way? Should have some rake, but I hope not too much.
My 73 has both sets of holes and it has HD leafs from the factory, however, someone on here recently posted a pic of their 80's truck with LD springs and no holes in the frame for the HD shackles. Take a peek at yours, if you have the holes behind your factory rear hangers, then you are good.

BUT, it will have a severe rake with HD leafs and only a 2" shackle with 3" front drop. HD shorts from the factory alreay have rake, you are just going to make it more pronounced.

Why not put a shackle and hanger drop in rear, for 4"? You should have plenty of room there.

Last edited by bigblock73; 08-04-2010 at 09:48 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
chevymotocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheel15 View Post
Why not just notch the frame? From what ive seen and read its really simple.
x2

You are going to have to go through about the same amount of time and effort to remove the flip, unbolt you leaf springs, add you shackle and/or hanger if you decide to go with the shackle/hanger kit..... when you can install a bolt in c-notch, maintain you nice low drop, and use your truck as a truck.

I installed my flip and lowered shackles a few weeks ago. Ever since, I have been using my truck as a truck, hauling multiple dirt bikes in the bed loaded up with gear etc. Glad I installed the notches, I can see how it would bottom without them. Not sure what you are hauling around but if you are using your 1/2 ton as a 1/2 ton truck, you should be able to do it with a flip and notch.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

id put n the heavier springs and yes notch the frame while im at it. wouldnt undo the flip. the new springs should get your load capacity back up.
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #6
454HO

Re: unflipping my flip

Thanks for the input guys, but a C-notch is not feasable right now since I don't already have the parts, nor the money and time to buy them.

I've got a load of construction debri in the bed of the truck that needs to be hauled to the dump before the end of the day Friday, then I have a load of building supplies to pick up at the home improvement center on Saturday. So I have to get this done tomorrow with the parts I already have on hand. But if any of you want to donate a C-notch and help me install it tomorrow, just send me a PM and I'll give you my address.

This evening I got the truck up on jackstands and loosened all the spring end bolts and axle U-bolts. Had to run over to my storage stall and pick up the springs and another set of jack stands. Should not take long to drop the springs in the morning. Then I have a couple titanium drill bits, a 4-1/2" angle grinder and a big cold chisel laid out for those pesky rivots. I checked the frame and it looks like the holes are there, but I will need to pick up some grade 8 bolts to reinstall the rear bracket.

To lessen the rake a bit more, I will remove the thick overload spring on the bottom of the spring pack. But I have also heard of removing a leaf or two to lower a truck. Should I try that? If so, which one(s)? How much will that lower it? How much will that affect capacity? Also, am I going to need some new U-bolts? Mine are the originals that I re-used when I installed the flip.

Sorry for all the questions, but I am desperate to get this done tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Greg, take the overload out as you mentioned, and perhaps the leaf above it...but I wouldn't throw them away (in case you want to put em back on), or remove more than that if hauling is what you are after.

YES, I would get new u-bolts. Cheap insurance, and recommended by every suspension company I have seen when changing parts out. Some people on here eyeball them (their used u-bolts) and give them their personal blessing and just put them back on...I am not a fan of that, as there are things the naked eye can't see that can cause a u-bolt to be structurally compromised.

Last edited by bigblock73; 08-04-2010 at 11:28 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
knightowl73

as far as u-bolts. i thnk you will be fine reusing the ones you have, unless there isnt enought threads on them to fit your tall spring pack. as far as taking a few leafs out, i dont think you will get more than a few inches from it, might not be worth it, but i would just to help some since your there already with them out, later you can add shackles to lower it a lil more. thnk youll just end up learning to deal with a lil rake to have a lowered hauler truck
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
454HO

I will check the condition of my U-bolts and see if they are long enough. I hate to reuse them again, but I'm tight on cash right now plus I plan to swap in another rear end as soon as I can get it rebuilt.

Also, I do have the Belltech front spring hangers for another 2" of drop. But from previous experiance these are next to impossible to install without removing the bed and dropping the gas tank. And that is just not something I can do tomorrow.

So to recap, plan is to:
1. drop the light duty springs first thing in the morning
2. drill/grind rivots out of rear hanger
3. disassemble the spring pack and remove the thick overload spring and the shortest leaf
4. run to the store for grade 8 bolts and U-bolts if mine can't be reused
5. reassemble everything using modified HD spring pack and 2" shackles instead of the flip kit

Anything I missed? I will try to take a few pics along the way.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #10
knightowl73

just wondering, have you thought of unbolting your rear axle, leaving the light-duty springs in, but taking the pack apart and just installing the extra springs to get your load capacity back up?

definately would save you some time, and alot of cussing too. you could buy longer u-bolts and thats it. with all them springs under there, ride might get harsh, but damn sure bet it wont squat more with a load on it and it stay dropped.should raise it a few inches too i would think. basically just use your top spring and the lowers from the other pack... all that fit that is.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
knightowl73

damn 454HO was hoping you looked atthis before you went to tackle that this morning. wouldnt want you going thru all that work if there was a easier way.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Dapper Dan

I may be wrong but I don't think that could work. The 56" springs locater pin is off center so I don't see how he could swap leaves into a 52" pack. Feel free to correct me though!

Last edited by Dapper Dan; 08-05-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Dapper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
knightowl73

i figured to use the ones that were short enough to fit. all of them shouldnt be unusable, maybe just the top two and then use the rest.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
454HO

Taking a quick water break and decided to check the board. Here's an update on progress.

I have the LD springs off now, and set them next to the HD springs. I don't think swapping leaves between the 2 packs will work... thay are different curvatures.

One interesting thing I noticed is that the original 3 leaf LD spring is exactly the same height as the 7 leaf HD spring. So any difference in ride height between these two springs would seems to be from the amount of compression due to the weight of the truck. I have always thought the HD springs were an inch or two taller, but that is not the case on the springs I have.

Okay, back to drilling rivots...
Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM   #15
knightowl73

glad to see you are making progress.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
454HO

I got done with it mid afternoon. Had a few glitches along the way.

I removed the overload and smallest leaf from the HD pack. Now in hindsight, I wish I had left them there. Mainly because of the extra work involved to take the springs apart, and then I had to cut the center pin bolt so it would clear the spring clamp plate.

Second, the Belltech shackles just did not want to cooperate. I did not have a set of calipers to measure exactly, but just eyeballing it the bushing sleave that slips into the frame mount is about 1/16" too wide. I tried and tried to make it fit, but it just would not go. So I just reinstalled the original shackles so I could get it back together.

End result is hard to tell just yet because I still have the same load of debri in the bed as yesterday. But judging by the distance between the axle tube and the frame, it looks like I raised it almost 3".

I took a few pictures, but the camera is out in the truck and I am too tired to go get it and upload them. I have to get back on my bathroom remodel job tomorrow, but will be going to the landfill to unload this stuff in the afternoon. Then I will get to see what it really looks like.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
knightowl73

cool cant wait to see pics, glad you got it done

Old 08-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
tonypaul

Hey 454ho is there a way I can chat with you? I noticed your not accepting private messages, Im doing the same engine swap you did and need some advice... If you cant, I totally understand.... You can contact me at -
austinportaitstudio@yahoo.com
Thanks!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote