The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2003, 01:39 AM   #1
grandpastruck

Question Clutch problem: gears clash when I down shift to first

The gears clash badly on my 67 chevy inline 6 if I try to downshift from second to first without coming pretty much to a dead stop.

I trimmed the clutch pedal stop bumper and adjusted the clutch pedal free play to 3/4 of an inch, to no effect.

What would you suggest I try next?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:45 AM   #2
Hooter
My other Love

ydo u have a 4 speed with granny gear?
those tranny dont have synchros in first gear, so it wont go into gear unless you come to a complete stop, nothing is broken or wrong, thats just the way it is

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:46 AM   #3
mikep
Used to have a truck

I assume you have a 3 speed. I'm not too hip on those but I know on the truck 4 speeds I have had that 1st gear was non syncronized and shifting into first while moving wasnt an option. Somebody with more knowledge of 3 speeds might be more able to help but I think your trying to do something thats not really possible.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:47 AM   #4
Hooter
My other Love

hey what kind of truck do you have and where are you from?
and welcome from British Columbia

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:57 AM   #5
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

some of the 3spds werent full syncro either. The saginaw 3 spd was a full syncro(identified by a 7 bolt side cover), but the old muncie 3spd was not syncro in 1st gear. If memory is with me that one had 4 bolts on the side cover, & that may be what you have in the 67. You can shift em down tho......put it in neutral & let the clutch up, then rev the eng a couple times, then push the clutch down & shift it down......be careful tho, if you miss on the rpms, it will make a mess out of that box! crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:04 AM   #6
grandpastruck

Thanks for the quick answers!

So, no synchro? I need to practice my rolling stops from second gear then.

It's a c10 step-side with 3 on the tree. It belonged to my late grandfather and I'm trying to fix it up. Since I've never worked on a truck (or car) before, I spend a lot of time reading the shop manual.

I've managed to get it past emissions and to free up the doors and windows and get the lights working. Next up:

leaking brake fluid
6 miles to the gallon
a hissing at the front of the engine (blown gasket?)

Still, it's a great truck.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:16 AM   #7
rusty ol' 69'
Grubbin'

Double da clutch mang

Sounds like you need to double clutch it. In other words, put the clutch in take it out of 2nd, and take the clutch off, depress the clutch again and throw it in 1st. If this don't work nothing will.

Old 02-21-2003, 01:59 PM   #8
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

you might pull the side plate off and look in there. I had one that
would grind if you didnt shift real slow, took it apart the brass syncromesh gears were eat up!
sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:15 PM   #9
Blazer1970

As others have said, if your tranny ever had 1st gear synchro (it probably didn't), it is worn out. If that is the case, it could be fixed. Otherwise, learn to double clutch. On a downshift, do it like crazy longhorn says:

release clutch
shift to neutral
engage clutch
blip the throttle to speed up the tranny input shaft a little
release the clutch again
shift to 1st

You will have to practice a little to learn how much throttle to give it to get the gears to mesh smoothly, but once you master it, it will become 2nd nature. It's cool because anyone riding with you will wonder what the hell you are doing. Before they invented synchromesh trannies, everyone had to know how to double clutch, or they were grindin' gears all the time. I would bet that tranny shops did a good business replacing gears in those days.

When I got my Blazer, it had a 3 speed with a bad 3rd gear synchro. I had to learn to double clutch to upshift into 3rd, and it took me a while to get out of the habit of doing it after I replaced the tranny.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #10
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Blazer 70.....cool ....another member of the double "clutch club"! if you play long enough , you can shift em up or down without the clutch(I would probably crash the hell out of the box now!)......been driving autos too long basically what you are doing is matching speed on gears.......rev it to downshift
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote