The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
PistonPete123

Need airbag suspension info

I'm looking for any info I can get. Pics are a big plus. I have a truck i'm working on now and I want to bag it, but its hard to find info, I want to make my own setup, but I can't find info on spring rate of airbags. what brand are people using and what size. Also, what pressure are people running when going down the road and how long are the bags when at ride height.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Need airbag suspension info

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonPete123 View Post
...... I have a truck i'm working on now and I want to bag it, but its hard to find info.......
It's only a matter of looking for it. This forum has TONS of posts on the subject, all you have to do is read them.

Lets start with what year truck, coil or leaf, and how low you want to go.What is your budget, and do you plan to cut the fenders, bed, etc?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
ShowSS12

I recommend taking a quick visit to the suspension section of this forum. Plus do a search there are more then plenty of bagged set-ups thats are posted on here...

edit: I just realized i was already in the suspension section LOL.... but I will say I do most of my installs with the dominator bags. I really like'em I was using slams but the bit of savings I get and still good quality i think its win-win. If you do get the slams you want a 7" bag in the dominator is the 2600lbs. But like N2Trucks said we need more info on your particular ride...

Last edited by ShowSS12; 08-06-2010 at 12:03 AM.
ShowSS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
PistonPete123

I've seached on this forum, but there is not alot of detail to the setups, there are some good pics of the whole truck lowered, but no info. I have a 1970 C-10 longbed, I don't want to notch the frame, cut the fenders/bed or anything like that, its a budget build, so I just want a simple setup, something that will ride at stock height but I can drop it down to the suspension stops. Also ShowSS12 said " 7" bag the dominator is the 2600lbs" this is the type of info I can find on other posts, don't get me wrong,I do appreciat this info, but its vague, I assume its 7" diameter and 2600 lbs is its max capacity, but what is its spring rate and at what psi.? They only tell you the max psi. and how tall is the bag at ride height? I don't just want to buy some bags and plates, weld it in wherever looks good and just drive it, I want to engineer a system and do it right the first time. Its funny how I read through other peoples "builds" and they start out with an airbag system that looks good, but a few months into the build, there setup is totally different. I know i'm coming off as a bit of a jerk, thats not how I am, I just want some good info, not someone telling me to look harded, if you have some info, just lay it on me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
kaotics

look at slam bags they have all their info on the website
kaotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
PistonPete123

This is the info from ***************** on the dominator 2600 "The latest and greatest from AirLift Company! Design height range from 6.0 to 9.0" with a 9.7" usable stroke. Maximum pressure of 600 PSI. 1/2" port." This ifno doesn't really help.
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
PistonPete123

This does look like a noce bag for $60
Old 08-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
kaotics

why not just go buy a slam bag for 100$ and be done with it,
also are you wanting to build your truck to do roadcourse or autocross with? if not you should just fit the largest bag you can and then buy a good shock
kaotics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

check out my build it all there..I used ALL STOCK suspention parts except the bags....

front I run about 50 psi rear 35 psi

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
OARNGESI

If you decide to go with the dominator bags check ebay they have them on them on there 4 bags for 175shipped
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
PistonPete123

thats a start, I thought the psi would be much higher than 50/35, now I have some idea, thanks, and those Ebay bags, hell yeah! My truck is going to be a daily driver that I will use to haul my boat and a trailer only a couple times a month, so I don't need a big fancy setup. now how about the air lines, I just want a front/back setup, do I still need 2valves per bag (up/down) or can I just use 1 pair for front and 1 pair for the rear?
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
OARNGESI

You really need atleast 6 so when you turn corners the air dont transfer and cause body roll
Old 08-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
OARNGESI

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Domin...ts_Accessories THIS KIT IS FROM THE SAME SELLER FOR A REALLY GOOD DEAL YOULL WANT TWO MORE VALVES

Last edited by OARNGESI; 08-07-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #14
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

I wouldn't consider anything other than an eight valve system and I'd definitely notch the frame.If you have a welder (you didn't mention) and a bit of pipe and plate then it won't cost much at all and you can take full advantage of the low end of the system.I could be wrong,but I don't think you'll find much info on the spring rates as they are changing as pressure changes.Set them where you like it,get it aligned at that pressure and drive.My bags have a recommended inflated height of 7" and I'd imagine the others have their recommended heights as well.Why wouldn't you phone PB or SD or one of the others and ask some questions?These are the guys that do this day in and day out.They will have the info you want.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics

Last edited by Rollie396; 08-07-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Rollie if he had read and followed my build he would be on air for cheap!! its all there and I'm happy to help .......hell I pout the 472 in my truck 9 days ago and have over 500 miles on it and I'm leaving today for at least another 150 so I guess I would comsider my truck a DD...but I will say the Pro Streets are getting pretty bald..they don't wear well

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Old 08-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #16
PistonPete123

I have a welder and tourch at home, and I'm a painter/powder coater at a metal fab shop and I can get any supplies I need and help if I cant do something so notching the frame would be no prob., I just didn't want to cut a hole in the bed to make room, I like the setup Hottrucks has, he can still use the bed for haulin
Old 08-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #17
PistonPete123

So 8 valves is a must, each bag has to be isolated from the rest so they dont transfer air from one to the other while making a turn, this would increase body roll, correct?
Old 08-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #18
SCOTI

Quote:
So 8 valves is a must, each bag has to be isolated from the rest so they dont transfer air from one to the other while making a turn, this would increase body roll, correct?
Correct. Independent control of each corner limits air transfer and/or body roll.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #19
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Quote:
I have a welder and tourch at home, and I'm a painter/powder coater at a metal fab shop and I can get any supplies I need and help if I cant do something so notching the frame would be no prob., I just didn't want to cut a hole in the bed to make room, I like the setup Hottrucks has, he can still use the bed for haulin
I think I would definitely notch the frame if I was you then.The pumpkin on mine stuck through the floor about 3/4" when I did mine.I was like you and didn't want a hole in the bed so I raised the floor.If you don't want to go to that much trouble,you could always put in some bumpstops that would limit the travel while still getting as low as possible and not having to worry so about the axle bottoming out on the frame while driving.Just another idea.
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
my pics
Old 08-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #20
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
Rollie if he had read and followed my build he would be on air for cheap!! its all there and I'm happy to help .......hell I pout the 472 in my truck 9 days ago and have over 500 miles on it and I'm leaving today for at least another 150 so I guess I would comsider my truck a DD...but I will say the Pro Streets are getting pretty bald..they don't wear well
I'm gonna check out your build thread later on....sounds interesting.
my pics
Old 08-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie396 View Post
I think I would definitely notch the frame if I was you then.The pumpkin on mine stuck through the floor about 3/4" when I did mine.I was like you and didn't want a hole in the bed so I raised the floor.If you don't want to go to that much trouble,you could always put in some bumpstops that would limit the travel while still getting as low as possible and not having to worry so about the axle bottoming out on the frame while driving.Just another idea.
measure fifty times never cut????....2 1/2" is the most you can go and the rear will be tight to the bed.....and flip your shock mounts
Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #22
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
measure fifty times never cut????....2 1/2" is the most you can go and the rear will be tight to the bed.....and flip your shock mounts
Dude, statements like this can confuse the heck out of people w/limited knowledge & are asking questions.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 08-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #23
PistonPete123

Here is some info I found, the larger the diameter of the bag, the less PSI it will take to raise the vehicle the same height as a smaller diameter bag,and this should give a softer ride.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #24
jjjmm56

I just installed 4 2600 dom bags and manual paddal valves. Man those are smooth. All I want is to go up and down. It takes me 10 sec to get to ride hight. I made a mainfold fed by 1/2" line then breaks down to 1/4" to the switches then 3/8 to the bags.
Attached Images

jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #25
SCOTI

Quote:
Here is some info I found, the larger the diameter of the bag, the less PSI it will take to raise the vehicle the same height as a smaller diameter bag,and this should give a softer ride.
Keep in mind, the 'less' air (softer spring) is not always the better ride.

I had 7"/2600# bags mounted where OE rear coils go @ 30psi & had a very bouncy ride. If I bumped pressure over 35psi, the ride improved but now the height was more than desired. So in that case, a smaller diameter bag requiring slightly higher air pressure to achieve the same overall height would have a better ride even though it has higher pressure.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG