The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Rmax

307 question 1970 c10

I have not been on in a bit I got the trans in I used a trans jack that I found on eBay it was cake of a job, thanks. The two section drive line was different for me and took me a min to figure out.
I am back on because the eng stopped on me just as I was pulling into my house. I cranked her over and there was a clicking sound but I had oil pressure so I thought to start with the top end. I found 4 bent push rods and the timing chain was off and the cam sprocket teeth were warn out. I ordered a new cam, lifters, timing chain set and pushrods from summit and it is back together just set the valves. Thought I would ask why this happened? To me the teeth were warn out and the chain has stretched and came off. I want to make sure I fixed the problem before I crank the eng? any other ideas of why?
thanks for you time as always

Rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: 307 question 1970 c10

You should have asked this question before you spent any money/time on this engine.

IMHO, you have much bigger problems than a simple cam/valve train swap can cure.
Those "warn" gear particles went somewhere.....into the oil and oil pump would be that place. Which means that the bottom end is likely comtaminated.
The bent pushrods might have come from valve to piston contact after the loose chain and probable "jump". Which could mean valve damage too? It would be a shame to put this all back together and still have an issue with how it runs becasue of that.

The internals of an engine really are a "system" that really needs to be addressed as a "whole". It is rare that something seemingly "simple" works out that way....

"Big picture":
I wouldn't spend the money that it takes to do a total rebuild on a 307. In broad terms "small blocks are all the same" as far as how they fit in the vehicle and what it costs to rebuild them to a fairly stockish form.
For about the same money (or less):
You could start with a better engine and rebuild it
Swap in a used engine
Buy a short block
etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
raycow

This is entirely normal. When the timing chain slipped, the pistons in some cylinders hit valves that weren't supposed to be open at the time. That's how the pushrods got bent. To be completely safe, you would need to pull the heads and check for valve and piston damage.

If you are a gambler, just pull the pan, clean out any metal and plastic bits, check the pump intake for trash, and change the oil filter. Bolt everything back up, fill it with oil, set the lifter clearances, and start the engine. If it runs ok, consider yourself fortunate and keep on driving.

If the engine has problems, it will be less work and money to drop in a cheap used 305 than to do a proper repair on the 307. That's what I did when my 283 swallowed a valve. This was 10 years ago and the 305 is still running just fine.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 08-06-2010 at 09:32 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Rmax

yea I Know that this can happen but in the long run everything I ordered I would need for the new engine as I would never put used or warn parts back in or on a rebuild. So my thinking is Iam just out more time then money
Ill check out that 305 thanks

Last edited by Rmax; 08-06-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Rmax is offline   Reply With Quote