The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Russell Ashley

Anyone got power steering with 3 on the column?

I'm putting power steering on my truck and keeping the three speed on the column. Has anyone else done that? I'm using the kit from Tuckers that has a later Chevy box that mounts outside the frame in front of the axle and I have the "column saver" kit that provides the Borgeson joints and shaft extension. It looks pretty straight forward but I would like to see a picture of a finished setup if anyone has one.
I had a pretty good day today. Got king pins and bushings installed and got the disc brakes on. Still got to mount the master cylinder and booster. I hope to get the steering in tomorrow.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Russell Ashley

Re: Anyone got power steering with 3 on the column?

Well, it can be done, but it's tight. The shifter box limits how short the steering column can be, which puts the upper Borgeson joint almost at the limit of its flex. I've got the shift rods on since this pic and have yard driven it some but will probably make a new 1st/reverse rod due to tight clearance at the firewall. I'll put the adjuster on the bottom end instead of the top.

If you are wondering why I want to keep the 3-spd, it's because I want to keep as much of the look and feel of an original 57 truck as possible while adding some safety and convenience features.
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Panelman55

I like your idea. I'm interested to see how this turns out. I was considering using a steering rack on my 55 Panel.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
55dude

this power setup limits your front tire width, looked at a handful and the front tires rubbed because the box was mounted outside the frame. i will see about using a toyota 4x4 box and keep the factory column because i have a 3spd/od. that i want to keep. if it doesn't in goes the T5.
55dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #5
Russell Ashley

It probably would hit with wide tires on big rims, but it has about a half inch of clearance, with the 235/75/R15 tires on eight inch Corvette rims that are currently installed, when turned fully to the right. This is the widest tire and wheel I ever plan on putting on it so clearance shouldn't ever be a problem for me.
The Toyota kit would probably be easier to install if you are keeping the column shift. I considered both but decided to go with the Chevy box.